Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What cutting lube?

Have to tap in some M6 threads into blind holes in Stainless Steel.

Have correct tapping drill ... and Taper, Plug & 2nd ....

I'm not going to but any specific thread cutting lube, but does anyone know
what 'common' lube is most suited .... 3-in-1, white spirit, WD40, Paraffin,
brake fluid, lithium grease.
Have use all of the above on different materials .. i.e. white spirit when
tapping Aluminum.

What is recommended for Stainless ( A2 grade)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
Have to tap in some M6 threads into blind holes in Stainless Steel.

Have correct tapping drill ... and Taper, Plug & 2nd ....

I'm not going to but any specific thread cutting lube, but does anyone
know what 'common' lube is most suited .... 3-in-1, white spirit, WD40,
Paraffin, brake fluid, lithium grease.
Have use all of the above on different materials .. i.e. white spirit when
tapping Aluminum.

What is recommended for Stainless ( A2 grade)

In the absence of proper tapping fluid I'd just use oil diluted a bit with
paraffin to reduce its lubricity.

BTW paraffin (kerosene) is by far the best lubricant for aluminium. Diesel
fuel is also acceptable.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 July, 22:06, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
Have to tap in some M6 threads into blind holes in Stainless Steel.

Have correct tapping drill ... and Taper, Plug & 2nd ....

I'm not going to but any specific thread cutting lube, but does anyone know
what 'common' lube is most suited .... 3-in-1, white spirit, WD40, Paraffin,
brake fluid, lithium grease.

I think that 3-in-1 would be the best from that list (I'd avoid the
brake fluid completely - nasty stuff). I assume that you have those
handy? If not, you're better off with the real thing. Something like
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Auto...ng+Fluid+400ml,
which I use for all my lathe work, is not too expensive, and it works
on most common materials.

dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dent wrote:
On 18 July, 22:06, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
Have to tap in some M6 threads into blind holes in Stainless Steel.

Have correct tapping drill ... and Taper, Plug & 2nd ....

I'm not going to but any specific thread cutting lube, but does anyone know
what 'common' lube is most suited .... 3-in-1, white spirit, WD40, Paraffin,
brake fluid, lithium grease.

I think that 3-in-1 would be the best from that list (I'd avoid the
brake fluid completely - nasty stuff). I assume that you have those
handy? If not, you're better off with the real thing. Something like
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Auto...ng+Fluid+400ml,
which I use for all my lathe work, is not too expensive, and it works
on most common materials.

dan.

Ur link doesn't work ;-)

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/d60/sd2795/p75018

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 July, 22:06, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
Have to tap in some M6 threads into blind holes in Stainless Steel.

Stainless? Buy some real cutting compound - RTD etc. Try Tilgear for
a supplier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dent" wrote in message
On 18 July, 22:06, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
Have to tap in some M6 threads into blind holes in Stainless Steel.

Have correct tapping drill ... and Taper, Plug & 2nd ....

I'm not going to but any specific thread cutting lube, but does anyone
know
what 'common' lube is most suited .... 3-in-1, white spirit, WD40,
Paraffin,
brake fluid, lithium grease.

I think that 3-in-1 would be the best from that list (I'd avoid the
brake fluid completely - nasty stuff). I assume that you have those
handy? If not, you're better off with the real thing. Something like
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Auto...ng+Fluid+400ml,
which I use for all my lathe work, is not too expensive, and it works
on most common materials.

dan.

I can pick up a can of BOSS thread cutting compound from local plumbers
trade outlet... but this is not specifically for Stainless,
http://www.bssindustrial.co.uk/downl...-Lubricant.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
news

I'm tapping Stainless, and finding that taps are sticking (galling I think
is tech term for this) ... 3-in-one helps, but still sticks.

Stainless is notorious for work hardening as it's being machined so it
requires very sharp tools and quite aggressive feed rates on the mill or
lathe so the tool gets well under the surface. Same problem with tapping
really especially if the taps are not brand new and ultra sharp.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 18 July, 22:06, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
Have to tap in some M6 threads into blind holes in Stainless Steel.

Stainless? Buy some real cutting compound - RTD etc. Try Tilgear for
a supplier.

I would second that.

And as they a Blind Holes, here is a little Tip.

Before you start tapping push some Wax, or Putty, or Plasticine or Playdoh
into the hole, then as you tap, the swarf gets pushed up out of the way.

You can buy this a proper tapping sticks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Baz wrote:
"Andy wrote in message
On 18 July, 22:06, "Rick
wrote:
Have to tap in some M6 threads into blind holes in Stainless Steel.

Stainless? Buy some real cutting compound - RTD etc. Try Tilgear for
a supplier.

I would second that.

And as they a Blind Holes, here is a little Tip.

Before you start tapping push some Wax, or Putty, or Plasticine or Playdoh
into the hole, then as you tap, the swarf gets pushed up out of the way.

You can buy this a proper tapping sticks.

Back in my day we used lard (dripping).
As good as any of this modern stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Trefolex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:07:49 -0700 (PDT), 1501
wrote:

Trefolex

???

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 July, 23:29, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:07:49 -0700 (PDT), 1501

wrote:
Trefolex

???

--
Frank Erskine

http://www.warrenbestobell.co.uk/compounds.asp

Blinding stuff!

Coolant vs. cutting oil/lube Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 28 June 30th 09 01:32 AM
lube for gas oven jp Home Repair 6 January 23rd 09 11:08 PM
bio-friendly cutting lube ? Dar[_2_] Metalworking 1 August 15th 08 02:00 AM
Yet another possible TS gear lube hylourgos Woodworking 5 January 19th 05 12:10 AM
Yet another possible TS gear lube hylourgos Woodworking 0 January 17th 05 01:32 AM