Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First Fix Inspection Question

Hi all

Is it usual to leave plastic conduit exposed for first fix inspection, or
can I plaster fill the chases - not that I've finished yet unfortunately,
just popped into the old head! (all cables run in oval conduit in cut
chases)

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Is it usual to leave plastic conduit exposed for first fix
inspection, or can I plaster fill the chases - not that I've finished
yet unfortunately, just popped into the old head! (all cables run in
oval conduit in cut chases)

Phil

Leave the plastering for now, they always want to see the cables entering
the boxes, and more specifically, the rubber gromits in place, which they
could check just by looking in the boxes, but some of them can be a bit
stroppy and think you're trying to hide something.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote

Leave the plastering for now, they always want to see the cables entering
the boxes, and more specifically, the rubber gromits in place, which they
could check just by looking in the boxes, but some of them can be a bit
stroppy and think you're trying to hide something.

--

OK Thanks Phil

I've actually continued the conduit into the boxes and grommeted around the
conduit where possible.
Other group members have done likewise as it allows the cables to be
replaced easily if there are any drilling "accidents" now or in future.

Hope I don't get some jobsworth who takes exception to this.

Another Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 July, 16:59, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Is it usual to leave plastic conduit exposed for first fix inspection, or
can I plaster fill the chases - not that I've finished yet unfortunately,
just popped into the old head! *(all cables run in oval conduit in cut
chases)

Phil

In what circumstances is a first fix inspection required ?
Who performs this inspection ?
I had the BCO round to check the extension roof and windows etc, and
he said
"see you when it's finished". He wants to see an electrical
installation certificate
at the end, but round here BCOs do not inspect the electricals.
I want to make sure I don't omit a required inspection.
Cheers,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster
wibbled on Friday 16 July 2010 08:34

"Phil L" wrote

Leave the plastering for now, they always want to see the cables entering
the boxes, and more specifically, the rubber gromits in place, which they
could check just by looking in the boxes, but some of them can be a bit
stroppy and think you're trying to hide something.

--

OK Thanks Phil

I've actually continued the conduit into the boxes and grommeted around
the conduit where possible.
Other group members have done likewise as it allows the cables to be
replaced easily if there are any drilling "accidents" now or in future.

Hope I don't get some jobsworth who takes exception to this.

Why would he? If he does, ask him to cite which bit of BS7671 it
contravenes, because he'll be there a long time failing miserably. What
you've done is excellent - better than the minimum standard.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson
wibbled on Friday 16 July 2010 09:58

On 15 July, 16:59, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Is it usual to leave plastic conduit exposed for first fix inspection, or
can I plaster fill the chases - not that I've finished yet unfortunately,
just popped into the old head! (all cables run in oval conduit in cut
chases)

Phil

In what circumstances is a first fix inspection required ?

Tunbridge Wells LABC said they do this too.

Who performs this inspection ?

Their agents (ie tame contractors).

I had the BCO round to check the extension roof and windows etc, and
he said
"see you when it's finished". He wants to see an electrical
installation certificate
at the end, but round here BCOs do not inspect the electricals.

Same here.

I want to make sure I don't omit a required inspection.

If he's said all he wants is an EIC, give him the EIC

Take a few photos of first fix-y type stuff and the inside of a few boxes
with wiring done - you can always include those with the EIC - a typical BCO
will interpret neatness as indication of someone who knows what they are
doing, or just hold onto the photos in case of queries.

Cheers,
Simon.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote

In what circumstances is a first fix inspection required ?
Who performs this inspection ?
I had the BCO round to check the extension roof and windows etc, and
he said
"see you when it's finished". He wants to see an electrical
installation certificate
at the end, but round here BCOs do not inspect the electricals.
I want to make sure I don't omit a required inspection.
Cheers,
Simon.

Hi Simon

I had some structural(ish) re-work done in 2006 which included a wall out
and door added to the kitchen.
This was obviously going to impact on the electrics and electrickery stuff
in kitchens and bathrooms is notifiable under Part P, so you can't just DIY
it.
Even if you install, test and document all in accordance with BS7671, it
still needs to be certified by an authorised party.
When the structural work was complete, I received the following email from
our BCO:

Following a site inspection on the 20th March [2006] I am satisfied that the
works carried out to date are acceptable. Electrical works should be made
available for inspection at first fix and completion unless the work is
being carried out by a contractor who is registered on the domestic
installer scheme.

To date, we have survived using what was left of the old electric
installation (safe to use, but very limited). Now I am proceeding with
first fix on the understanding that they will honour the above undertaking.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

"Cable supports and enclosures shall not have sharp edges liable to damage
the wiring system" is the regs view.

So cables coming out of conduit into a back box is fine.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 July, 11:32, "TheScullster" wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote

[...]

Thanks,
I think I'll phone the BCO and feign innocence, saying "what do I do
about electrical inspections ?"
It may work out cheapest to have an electrician do it (ouch it's
painful to say that !).
Simon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote

Thanks,
I think I'll phone the BCO and feign innocence, saying "what do I do
about electrical inspections ?"
It may work out cheapest to have an electrician do it (ouch it's
painful to say that !).
Simon

My understanding was (certainly at the time this procedure was introduced)
the BCO could not charge extra for the electrical inspection/testing and
that this was all covered under the building notice.
Other group members have found that certain BCOs have found an escape clause
and try to charge for this.
The problem is that (to the letter of the law/regulation) a contract
electrician cannot inspect and sign off your work, unless they are appointed
to do so by the BCO. So you really need to know which route you are taking
before starting work.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 July, 16:17, "TheScullster" wrote:
[...]

Putting aside the charging matter, are building control obliged to
offer
an "inspection" service for electrics (via an appointed electrician
or whatever) ?
Simon.