Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electric inspection question

I'm ready for my rough electric inspection, but have one question
before I call. I have all my home runs pulled and all my boxes made
up with one exceptions. Near my workbench I have a hole in my
pegboard already cut for existing switch and outlet. I want to use
these same locations, but on new circuits. However, the existing
switch and outlet continue downstream to all the basement lights so if
I disconnect them, I'll be in the dark until I wire up the panel with
the new recessed lights, which I'm pretty sure I'm NOT supposed to do
until AFTER the rough inspection. Will that be okay for the
inspection in most cases? I know every locality is different, but I'm
asking for generalities. Is it generally okay to have my old wiring
still up and live until after the inpsection when I will take it all
down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 12:02�am, wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 15:13:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I'm ready for my rough electric inspection, but have one question
before I call. �I have all my home runs pulled and all my boxes made
up with one exceptions. �Near my workbench I have a hole in my
pegboard already cut for existing switch and outlet. �I want to use
these same locations, but on new circuits. �However, the existing
switch and outlet continue downstream to all the basement lights so if
I disconnect them, I'll be in the dark until I wire up the panel with
the new recessed lights, which I'm pretty sure I'm NOT supposed to do
until AFTER the rough inspection. �Will that be okay for the
inspection in most cases? �I know every locality is different, but I'm
asking for generalities. �Is it generally okay to have my old wiring
still up and live until after the inpsection when I will take it all
down.

Tell them you are calling for a partial rough and when he gets there
explain what you are doing see if he will go ahead and sigh off that
last box. I bet he does if the rest of your work is OK.

well you could ask the inspector. in advance by phone call

if he is a stick in the mud / code make a jumper to temporarily power
what remains of the existing circuit.

if you want to be nasty remove the jumper right before the inspector
arrives and give him a drop light to inspect the basement