Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Question

I saw a "weird to me" circuit and would like to learn what it is.
Inside the junction box there was one hot wire running through it and
passing out of it through the other end down the conduit. Then inside
the 2 neutrals and 2 grounds was wire nutted togther with a outlet that
is underneath the junction box. So why is the other hot running
through but the 2 neutral were wire nutted with the outlet below?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It sounds like you may be describing an Edison circuit, which is two hot
legs,(of different potential) sharing a neutral. One hot leg is feeding the
outlet,the second hot leg is going down the conduit to something else, and
the neutral is pigtailed to the outlet and continuing to the second circuit.
Neutrals of this type of circuit can't be dependent on devices like outlets,
so they're typically pigtailed

wrote in message
ups.com...
I saw a "weird to me" circuit and would like to learn what it is.
Inside the junction box there was one hot wire running through it and
passing out of it through the other end down the conduit. Then inside
the 2 neutrals and 2 grounds was wire nutted togther with a outlet that
is underneath the junction box. So why is the other hot running
through but the 2 neutral were wire nutted with the outlet below?

electric photocell question T.B. Home Ownership 2 October 2nd 06 09:14 PM
Electric shower question Fred UK diy 4 June 18th 06 10:15 PM
electric hoist question SteveB Metalworking 19 August 18th 05 05:52 PM
Basic electric question D'Olier Home Repair 5 December 30th 04 05:30 PM
Shop electric question Woodchuck Woodworking 7 November 4th 03 09:50 PM