Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very large DIY finished at last

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

After its first ride today:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25ks8pk.jpg

The two controllers took me several months to fix up and reassemble:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2a6pnid.jpg

Others did all the wooden bits!
I made a number of mechanical parts that were missing. I've been
posting about those for a while. Thanks for the positive suggestions.

Parts carved out of blocks of steel:
http://i26.tinypic.com/n6f3o0.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/suxesn.jpg

and brass:
http://i39.tinypic.com/167sg9g.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does http://www.82045.org.uk/ qualify as a DIY project?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does http://www.82045.org.uk/ qualify as a very large DIY project?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 13, 7:02 pm, 1501 wrote:
Doeshttp://www.82045.org.uk/qualify as a very large DIY project?

Yes of course. I'm trying to stay away from steam engines (because I
have enough interests already) but we do have one, because it's a
tram, which is being reconditioned at the moment
http://i44.tinypic.com/wmmufl.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/19bgx1.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 23:31:27 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
wrote:

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

After its first ride today:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25ks8pk.jpg

Fabulous looking job. Congratulations. Where is it ?

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

After its first ride today:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25ks8pk.jpg

Fabulous looking job. Congratulations. Where is it ?

It's in Auckland NZ. The last tram set a standard that we now have to
maintain. But no problem. If the labour is free, it doesn't really
matter how long it takes to finish them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.
After its first ride today:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25ks8pk.jpg

Fabulous looking job. Congratulations. Where is it ?

It's in Auckland NZ. The last tram set a standard that we now have to
maintain. But no problem. If the labour is free, it doesn't really
matter how long it takes to finish them.

A thing of beauty to be sure
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

A very fine piece of work.

Railway equipment of that vintage can at least be resurrected by
means that enthusiasts can master.

Just imagine trying to get all the electronics and software in
some present day stock to work in 60 years time ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

After its first ride today:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25ks8pk.jpg

What a magnificent piece of work; well done to all involved.

You'll all be able to design and build one from scratch now, surely?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon scribeth thus
drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

After its first ride today:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25ks8pk.jpg

What a magnificent piece of work; well done to all involved.

You'll all be able to design and build one from scratch now, surely?

JOOI what sort of volts does that run off, and what sort of current
would it pull under normal use?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 13, 11:35 pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon scribeth thus

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

After its first ride today:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25ks8pk.jpg

What a magnificent piece of work; well done to all involved.

You'll all be able to design and build one from scratch now, surely?

I think we could make most parts, except for the motors.
The wheels and axles wear out and need to be replaced sometimes, and
they are made in NZ by a commercial firm. Our lathe isn't big enough!

JOOI what sort of volts does that run off, and what sort of current
would it pull under normal use?..

600 volts DC, and it was using about 60 amps to accelerate on the
flat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

After its first ride today:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25ks8pk.jpg

The two controllers took me several months to fix up and reassemble:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2a6pnid.jpg

Others did all the wooden bits!
I made a number of mechanical parts that were missing. I've been
posting about those for a while. Thanks for the positive suggestions.

Parts carved out of blocks of steel:
http://i26.tinypic.com/n6f3o0.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/suxesn.jpg

and brass:
http://i39.tinypic.com/167sg9g.jpg

Whereabouts in Auckland?

We are likely to be over towards the end of this year or start of next and
wouldn't mind a look round some old trams :-)

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Matty F wrote:

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

A very fine piece of work.

Railway equipment of that vintage can at least be resurrected by
means that enthusiasts can master.

Just imagine trying to get all the electronics and software in
some present day stock to work in 60 years time ;-)

It's already apparent with the high-voltage EMU stock. I.e. overhead-line
powered trains aren't suitable for enthusiasts, and so conversion to battery
operation has to take place. Which severely limits the practicality. I think
even third rail is somewhat of a no-no for heritage running - so even things
like the old Southern Electrics would need battery power for running.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

It looks stunning. Bring it over to the UK! ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2010 14:17, Matty F wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:35 pm, tony wrote:
In , Grimly
scribeth thus

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty
saying something like:

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

After its first ride today:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25ks8pk.jpg

What a magnificent piece of work; well done to all involved.

You'll all be able to design and build one from scratch now, surely?

I think we could make most parts, except for the motors.
The wheels and axles wear out and need to be replaced sometimes, and
they are made in NZ by a commercial firm. Our lathe isn't big enough!

JOOI what sort of volts does that run off, and what sort of current
would it pull under normal use?..

600 volts DC, and it was using about 60 amps to accelerate on the
flat.

Is that still available in NZ? If it is, what uses it now?
Wife was out there about 2 years ago, but I don't remember her
mentioning trams on either island.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:

Is that still available in NZ? If it is, what uses it now?
Wife was out there about 2 years ago, but I don't remember her
mentioning trams on either island.

This is think MOTAT, and the tram #47.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2010 07:31, Matty F wrote:
Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

After its first ride today:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25ks8pk.jpg

The two controllers took me several months to fix up and reassemble:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2a6pnid.jpg

Others did all the wooden bits!
I made a number of mechanical parts that were missing. I've been
posting about those for a while. Thanks for the positive suggestions.

Parts carved out of blocks of steel:
http://i26.tinypic.com/n6f3o0.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/suxesn.jpg

and brass:
http://i39.tinypic.com/167sg9g.jpg

What can we say, but congratulations.

Just keep posting here, your posts are inspirational and innovative.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Whitworth" wrote in message

"Matty F" wrote in message
Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

It looks stunning. Bring it over to the UK! ;-)

We have something similar-ish -
http://www.bclm.co.uk/map3.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "brass monkey"
wrote:

We have something similar-ish -
http://www.bclm.co.uk/map3.htm

Or one of these:
www.tramway.co.uk/our-collections/34/tram-fleet
at Crich - they may even be interested in your collection

--
John W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F
wibbled on Tuesday 13 July 2010 14:17

On Jul 13, 11:35 pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon scribeth thus

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

After its first ride today:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25ks8pk.jpg

What a magnificent piece of work; well done to all involved

Humble applause

Your machinework is of course excellent - but who did the paint work? I'm
looking at the detail trim lines (yellow or gold) - it looks fantastic. The
whole thing is a major excercise in beauty

You'll all be able to design and build one from scratch now, surely?

I think we could make most parts, except for the motors.
The wheels and axles wear out and need to be replaced sometimes, and
they are made in NZ by a commercial firm. Our lathe isn't big enough!

JOOI what sort of volts does that run off, and what sort of current
would it pull under normal use?..

600 volts DC, and it was using about 60 amps to accelerate on the
flat.

Curious there - does that mean that someone with a short metal pole (eg
umbrella - not unlikely in the rain up top if the bottom is full) could get
onto the wire overhead?

Is the bodywork earthed or insulated from earth?

Not with respect to your tram, but just wondered if in their original
deployment people had ever zapped themselves?...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Weston scribeth thus
In article , "brass monkey"
wrote:

We have something similar-ish -
http://www.bclm.co.uk/map3.htm

Or one of these:
www.tramway.co.uk/our-collections/34/tram-fleet
at Crich - they may even be interested in your collection

Ummm .. what's the difference between a Trolley bus and a Tram?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer
wibbled on Wednesday 14 July 2010 00:01

In article , John
Weston scribeth thus
In article , "brass monkey"
wrote:

We have something similar-ish -
http://www.bclm.co.uk/map3.htm

Or one of these:
www.tramway.co.uk/our-collections/34/tram-fleet
at Crich - they may even be interested in your collection

Ummm .. what's the difference between a Trolley bus and a Tram?...

The trolley bus is trackless and runs like a bus on rubber wheels and is
steerable, subject to the twin pickup poles being able to reach the wires.

I've been on both in Latvia. The trolley busses were prone to the pickup
poles coming off the wires (age old problem I believe) - requiring the
conductor to run out back and re-position them[1].

[1] I seem to remember the old British way in London was to use a long
insulated pole to manipulate the pickup pole. The Latvian busses had the
cables coming down onto a pair of spring loaded auto-retractor spools on the
back (thing hoover cable rewind) - so the conductor would simple pull the
electrical cables as a method to move the poles.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 14, 10:55 am, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

All of the overhead wire needs to be raised before people are allowed
on the top deck. When at correct height, a seven foot person would
have to stand on a seat and use an umbrella to reach the wire. The
bodywork and seats are timber. There's no bare metal up top, but it
will be earthed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 14, 3:17 am, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Whereabouts in Auckland?

We are likely to be over towards the end of this year or start of next and
wouldn't mind a look round some old trams :-)

MOTAT: Western Springs Tramway:
http://www.motat.org.nz/collections/trams.htm

Wellington Tramway Museum:
http://www.trams.org.nz

Christchurch Tramway:
http://www.tram.co.nz

I thought there was another tramway too but I can't remember it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2010 14:17, Matty F wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:35 pm, tony wrote:

In , Grimly
scribeth thus

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty
saying something like:

Finished at last after several years hard work by volunteers.
Basically stripped down to tens of thousands of component parts,
tidied up and reassembled.

After its first ride today:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25ks8pk.jpg

What a magnificent piece of work; well done to all involved.

You'll all be able to design and build one from scratch now, surely?

I think we could make most parts, except for the motors.
The wheels and axles wear out and need to be replaced sometimes, and
they are made in NZ by a commercial firm. Our lathe isn't big enough!

JOOI what sort of volts does that run off, and what sort of current
would it pull under normal use?..

600 volts DC, and it was using about 60 amps to accelerate on the
flat.

Is the control method based on a Ward-Leonard system? I first came
across it in the Army in the middle 50s, we eckies in REME were supposed
to service the thing as fitted on a 40mm ack ack gun.
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 14, 6:32 pm, Donwill wrote:

Is the control method based on a Ward-Leonard system? I first came
across it in the Army in the middle 50s, we eckies in REME were supposed
to service the thing as fitted on a 40mm ack ack gun.

Basically the two motors are switched to be in series or parallel, and
at low speeds the excess power is sent though several large
resistances under the tram. They can get red hot if you drive the tram
slowly with the brakes on, but why would anyone do that? (Answer, when
you are making the rails flat with grinding blocks!)

The controller can switch to reverse with the small barrel on the
right, and one motor can be disconnected using the levers on the left:
http://i43.tinypic.com/n21jj4.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:

Is the control method based on a Ward-Leonard system? I first came
across it in the Army in the middle 50s, we eckies in REME were supposed
to service the thing as fitted on a 40mm ack ack gun.

Have a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tram_controls

and

http://www.railway-technical.com/tract-01.shtml

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Watts saying
something like:

I was just old enough to encounter tram travel in Glasgow and recall the
last tram being run; I had a penny flattened by the last Glasgow tram,
as did many others, for years.

trolley buses
[1] I seem to remember the old British way in London was to use a long
insulated pole to manipulate the pickup pole.

The pickup springing off was quite common, especially at trailing
junctions, and quite frequently the restraining strap broke with the
jerk as the pickup shot upwards, rendering the 'bus immobile. Istr the
driver switched to battery power and pulled in to the side of the road
until a repair crew could get out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when

the
[...]

That must have been a Trolley Bus rather than a tram. Trams ran on
fixed rails so couldn't pull in anywhere!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Andrew Mawson"
saying something like:

That must have been a Trolley Bus rather than a tram. Trams ran on
fixed rails so couldn't pull in anywhere!

Indeed it was, as I indicated.