Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soil pipe routing

I want to add a new toilet on the ground floor. The obvious way to do
this is to run the soil pipe with sufficient fall ( 1 in 40) to an
external wall, drill through the external wall, and then drop down to
a suitable level to run everything underground to the inspection
chamber.

Is that normally how it's done? Seems damn ugly to have a fat bit of
pipe poking out of the wall near ground level The only alternative I
can think of is to drill through the footings below ground level, and
break out some of the blocks in the beam and block floor - neater but
a lot more work, and might not be sufficient clearance between beams
to be able to work effectively and do a proper job...

Constraints - the pipe has to go through the front wall as the side
wall is the boundary with the neighbour's garden. The floor is a
"concrete beam suspended floor system" which I presume means beam and
block. The footings seems to be 1200mm of bricks below ground level
supported by 300mm x 1000mm concrete, so there is plenty of space to
drill below ground level.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nutkey
wibbled on Monday 12 July 2010 21:49

I want to add a new toilet on the ground floor. The obvious way to do
this is to run the soil pipe with sufficient fall ( 1 in 40) to an
external wall, drill through the external wall, and then drop down to
a suitable level to run everything underground to the inspection
chamber.

Is that normally how it's done?

It's a very common method, yes.

Seems damn ugly to have a fat bit of
pipe poking out of the wall near ground level The only alternative I
can think of is to drill through the footings below ground level, and
break out some of the blocks in the beam and block floor - neater but
a lot more work, and might not be sufficient clearance between beams
to be able to work effectively and do a proper job...

Constraints - the pipe has to go through the front wall as the side
wall is the boundary with the neighbour's garden. The floor is a
"concrete beam suspended floor system" which I presume means beam and
block. The footings seems to be 1200mm of bricks below ground level
supported by 300mm x 1000mm concrete, so there is plenty of space to
drill below ground level.

Would have thought it's going to be damn difficult to manoeveur a 110mm bend
section through a (say) 5" hole in the floor *or* foundation wall, let alone
plug the pipes in and ensure it's well enough supported so it can't blow
apart (probably not if the 2 adjacent pipes are cemented in to wall/floor
close by, but I'm guessing what your installation might look like).

I took a 110mm rest bend under the foundations here to act a permanent dry
guide for the mains water incomer, but I managed that entirely from the
outside as the floor slab was only 4" farmers concrete onto earth and the
foundations were about a foot deep (I went clean under the concrete strip -
yes I did pack the hole bloody solid with lots of concrete afterwards!).

A bit of black 110m outside curving down into the ground won't look too bad
IMO, especially if the job is 100 times easier. After all, many people have
huge amounts of 4" pipe on their house for fully external drain stacks.

Build something over it like a large plant pot pedestal or something if it
annoys you

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts
wibbled on Monday 12 July 2010 22:57

A bit of black 110m outside curving down into the ground won't look too
bad IMO, especially if the job is 100 times easier. After all, many people
have huge amounts of 4" pipe on their house for fully external drain
stacks.

And, it's an excellent place for a rodding cap (won't add much to the bulk).

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 July, 21:49, Nutkey wrote:
[...]

Cue the Saniflo article!

Soil pipe cutting/routing Painters10 UK diy 10 March 11th 10 01:51 PM
WC overflow going into a sink waste-pipe, soil pipe or shower cubicle? James B UK diy 14 May 19th 07 02:06 PM
Leak at plastic soil pipe to clay soil pipe join Darren UK diy 2 October 12th 04 09:49 PM
Routing gas pipe Tony Hayes UK diy 8 October 31st 03 03:12 PM
Converting soil pipe access panel to allow 40mm pipe Scott UK diy 1 August 12th 03 10:14 PM