Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet install - sealant/grease on various bits?

Hi,

Just wondered, before I (finally) did it:

Is it advisable to smear something (plumbing grease or LS-X) on the rubber
washers that seal the bottom entry to the cistern to the syphon? I'm aware I
don't want to glue it in irremovably, but at the same time I'd like it not
to leak! BES sell some silicone grease for plumbing - wondered if this was
an intended application?

Ditto pan spigot to pan connector (rubber ring seal) - seem to recall using
some special grease a long time ago, but that was into an old iron pipe that
was rough.

Ditto again the flush pipe into back (had to use a load of silicone on the
old bog to stop this leaking but the rubber was a bit hardened with age).

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
Hi,

Just wondered, before I (finally) did it:

Is it advisable to smear something (plumbing grease or LS-X) on the rubber
washers that seal the bottom entry to the cistern to the syphon? I'm aware I
don't want to glue it in irremovably, but at the same time I'd like it not
to leak! BES sell some silicone grease for plumbing - wondered if this was
an intended application?

I used silicone sealant in one case where the porcelain was too
poorly molded to make a good seal on the rubber. Otherwise I would
not have used anything.

Ditto pan spigot to pan connector (rubber ring seal) - seem to recall using
some special grease a long time ago, but that was into an old iron pipe that
was rough.

Ditto again the flush pipe into back (had to use a load of silicone on the
old bog to stop this leaking but the rubber was a bit hardened with age).

I use a smear of ordinary soap to make assembly easier. The water
will wash it away. You don't want silicone grease because the parts
will then slide apart too easily, and possibly not stay together.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel
wibbled on Monday 05 July 2010 16:07

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
[...]

Thanks Andrew. I'll go with nothing in the first instance, save for the
lubricant (I actually have a can of silicone oil spray as I've done so manty
push fit 110mm pipes - that's pretty good. Dries off and the joints don't
slip after a while).

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

Just wondered, before I (finally) did it:

Is it advisable to smear something (plumbing grease or LS-X) on the
rubber washers that seal the bottom entry to the cistern to the
syphon? I'm aware I don't want to glue it in irremovably, but at the
same time I'd like it not to leak! BES sell some silicone grease for
plumbing - wondered if this was an intended application?

I always use a smear of LSX.

Ditto pan spigot to pan connector (rubber ring seal) - seem to recall
using some special grease a long time ago, but that was into an old
iron pipe that was rough.

Silicone lubricant.

Ditto again the flush pipe into back (had to use a load of silicone
on the old bog to stop this leaking but the rubber was a bit hardened
with age).

This is a low level then? Normally just use a new connector. If its close
coupled I use Plumbers Mait.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

New toilet install problem. Baz UK diy 0 May 4th 10 05:04 PM
Toilet install N O Home Repair 17 February 27th 08 12:02 AM
Removing toilet - adhesive sealant [email protected] Home Repair 19 December 29th 06 10:56 PM
cooktop install sealant Jordan Home Repair 2 August 2nd 06 03:35 AM
toilet install edee em Home Repair 1 July 12th 03 07:14 PM