Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing toilet - adhesive sealant

A few weeks ago, we used DAP Dynaflex 230 latex sealant while retiling
the bathroom, and used a thick bead of it as caulk between the toilet
and floor to prevent the possibility of leaks. Now we're trying to
pull up the toilet again to replace one of the tiles, but the toilet
won't detach from the floor! We're afraid to pull much harder on the
toilet because we don't want to crack the porcelain.
Help?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
You'll have to squeeze a sharp knife blade between
toilet and floor and work all the way around.
Try different blades to see what works best.
Maybe a utility knife to start with.
A hacksaw blade (in a holder or a gloved hand)
may work too.

I've been told that alcohol or mineral spirits may help soften it up.
Might that damage the finish of the tiles around the toilet base? If I
use such chemicals to clean off the residue after removing the toilet
from the floor, might they damage the porcelain?
If the porcelain gets a hairline crack from all this work, can it be
sealed or do I have to buy a new toilet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On 28 Dec 2006 12:55:52 -0800, wrote:

A few weeks ago, we used DAP Dynaflex 230 latex sealant while retiling
the bathroom, and used a thick bead of it as caulk between the toilet
and floor to prevent the possibility of leaks. Now we're trying to
pull up the toilet again to replace one of the tiles, but the toilet
won't detach from the floor! We're afraid to pull much harder on the
toilet because we don't want to crack the porcelain.
Help?

I used a razor/utility knife. Penetrate the caulk at some point and
slice around the base. Once the toilet is off you can pull any
remaining caulk by hand.

I always caulk around toilets and always around the entire base. In a
thread awhile back someone mentioned to leave a small space
un-caulked, at the back of the base. It makes sense to me as this
open space could give an early indication of a leak.

--
Oren

That about covers it. One theory holds that using caulk around the
toilet makes it easier to clean, as dirt can't get in where the toilet
meets the floor. The other theory is that with caulk, if there is a
leak, you won't know it right away and there could be substantial rot
damage by the time you do. The suggestion of leaving a caulk gap is a
combination of the two approaches, which may be a good idea.

One thing is for sure. Caulk isn't going to prevent a leak. And
alcohol, mineral spirits or similar solvents aren't going to harm the
toilet or any reasonable tile. But I'm not sure how useful they would
be in removing the caulk either. Best approach I think is to scrape
it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Dec 2006 16:17:15 -0800, wrote:

Oren wrote:
On 28 Dec 2006 12:55:52 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

I most often try a roll-the-sleeves approach. My friend found a
product to strip caulk. I just always took it out and replaced what
needed it.. We/Her have used it around tubs, where we needed to
remove old caulk. I have not seen it damage vinyl, tile, tubs or
sinks. Works on silicon (slower) and latex.

I forget the name, but look for grout stripper/remover gel type stuff
at the orange store. Paint it on, leave as directed (go to lunch) and
then clean away...forget the name though..

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my years of pulling out and putting in toilets, I've found very few leaks
that end up running out from under the bowl until they are so bad the damage
has already been done. Most times the leak is slight enough, and there is
enough space between the flooring / subflooring and the flange that any leak
runs down the outside of the drain pipe and not out on the floor. You are
likely to 'smell' the leak before you will see it, which is a good reason
not to caulk.

Caulk at this point is generally used to seal the space so it is easier to
clean. Ask anyone with a couple boys in the house how important this is!

"Oren" wrote in message
[...]

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 02:50:17 GMT, "Bob (but not THAT Bob)"

A few weeks ago, we used DAP Dynaflex 230 latex sealant while retiling
the bathroom, and used a thick bead of it as caulk between the toilet
and floor to prevent the possibility of leaks. Now we're trying to
pull up the toilet again to replace one of the tiles, but the toilet
won't detach from the floor! We're afraid to pull much harder on the
toilet because we don't want to crack the porcelain.
Help?

I have a tool that works in situations like this - imagine this item
without the handle (it fell off from serious whacking):

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-ace-be...i-1272908.html

Basically any burn-off scraper with a long sharp-ended blade you can tap
gently with a hammer will work.

Did you fall off a turnip truck? Cut the damn latex caulk like I do;
reach in my back pocket for my everyday tool. No need for a hammer to
get a toilet out for repair. You might be amazed:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...p?pn=100020658

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

[...]

Not that easily amazed, but thanks for playing.

We're doing the same thing - the tool I'm talking about has a sharp
blade too, but lacks the thick body of the utility knife that can't get
into tight places - the OP never said the caulk was visible/accessible
enough to cut easily with a knife. Plus, once it breaks through the
seal, this tool allows you to gently pry the toilet loose without
wrecking tile or china, presuming you're careful.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:05:55 -0800, Oren wrote:

[...]

And a place for much of the leak to leak out and evaporate. The
uncaulked space needn't be so small.

I would use a knife to cut this caulk, and maybe a box cutter rather
than a "utility knife" like WIZ, because the box cutter is thin and
can get pararallel to the floor and that might enable it to get
further into the crack. But a utility knife might be fine too.

To remove vinyl or latex elastic caulk between my bathtub and the
floor, I used a heat gun. That's a little different, becasue I wasn't
going to separate the bathtub from the floor and the goal was to
remove the caulk for recaulking. The first time I tried it, I got it
so hot it smoked some and set off the smoke alarm.

But the second time I made it just hot and flexible enough to pull out
the caulk in a strip. Well, several short strips, and I needed a
screwdriver to get started each time. Another difference is that my
tub is painted steel, but the toilet is porcelain. So this might help
but I think the knife will go ok.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 06:04:18 GMT, "Bob (but not THAT Bob)"
wrote:

Oren wrote:

[...]

I can appreciate what you are saying and you like that approach. I
cannot bare to purchase a scraper for $47.00, when I have my knife in
my pocket. It has not failed me yet, except replacing a worn out
blade.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:12:03 -0500, mm
wrote:

[...]

I've never used a heat gun to remove caulk. I'm certain it can save
some time under the right conditions. The builder grade homes here
often allow the buyer to pick flooring after plumbing fixtures are in
place. Many times vinyl flooring is installed in powder rooms, etc..
Caulk is placed around the toilet base where the vinyl was trimmed.

My guess is it would be easy to damage the flooring with to much heat.

It is also easy to slip with a knife and damage the vinyl....

--
Oren

Removing silicone sealant Doki UK diy 6 October 24th 06 07:09 PM
What's good for removing silicone sealant... woodglass UK diy 9 September 14th 06 04:18 PM
Removing wallpaper adhesive Wordy UK diy 4 July 31st 06 05:10 PM
Removing silicon (not sealant!) TonyK UK diy 6 November 19th 04 03:21 PM
Removing mildew from Silicone sealant? £$oteric UK diy 5 May 14th 04 12:13 PM