Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default electrical conduit using old gas pipes?

Can i use old gas pipe for electrical conduit?

The floor rafters are notched at the top,
which is too high to put wire through as nails could pierce them,
but if i thread the cable through the old gaspipe
using the existing notches,
would this be 17th edition legal?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No.

You could drill new holes just for the cable.

Alternatively use BS8436 cable in the notches - www.discountelectrical.co.uk
I believe sell it in cut 1m lengths, 1.5mm & 2.5mm. You might find the
odd reel on Ebay under Nexans Alsecure, Prysmian Earthshield or
Flexishield, Guardian Cable - all various incarnations of BS8436. The
cable would need to be protected by a Type-B CPD and not Type-C D (ie,
feeding HVAC).

You could use a different surface route, in trunking - easy to add
cables to or replace vs taking up floorboards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1 wrote:
No.

You could drill new holes just for the cable.

Alternatively use BS8436 cable in the notches - www.discountelectrical.co.uk

That is an advertising links site

I believe sell it in cut 1m lengths, 1.5mm & 2.5mm. You might find the
odd reel on Ebay under Nexans Alsecure, Prysmian Earthshield or
Flexishield, Guardian Cable - all various incarnations of BS8436. The
cable would need to be protected by a Type-B CPD and not Type-C D (ie,
feeding HVAC).

I would like to use standard cheaper cable wherever possible.

You could use a different surface route, in trunking - easy to add
cables to or replace vs taking up floorboards.

I have access from underneath at the moment.

The gas piping is not copper (or I'd weigh it in)

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:

The gas piping is not copper (or I'd weigh it in)

Is it lead, as in my house? I've lugged out loads of the stuff over the
years as I've had different floors up, and which I store for occasional
trips to the scrappy! Also dead easy to remove of course.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 June, 14:35, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
Alternatively use BS8436 cable in the notches -www.discountelectrical.co.uk

That is an advertising links site

Oops, www.discount-electrical.co.uk
They do not list BS8436 on the site, but from emailing do carry it. It
has its uses for "difficult situations", although in practice since it
is probably "North of £1 per metre" you would try to design it out.

You could use a different surface route, in trunking - easy to add
cables to or replace vs taking up floorboards.

I have access from underneath at the moment.

Can you not drill fresh holes away from the notched joints?

The gas piping is not copper (or I'd weigh it in)

You absolutely can not use old gas piping for mains wiring.

If it is soft grey it is lead, if it is a hard grey it is block tin
(and very expensive), if it is iron barrel it is still not suitable re
internal burrs.

Whilst short lengths of steel conduit that are inaccessible do not
need to be earthed, but a former gas pipe is something quite
different. It is presumably of some length with very tight bends which
are quite unsuitable for sheathed cable and absolutely unsuitable for
singles cable (6491) through it because 1) damage may occur in drawing
in 2) conduit must be earthed 3) conduit for singles MUST be
continuous between wiring accessories which requires adapters, bushes
and so on which will not fit gas pipe :-)

You could replace the gas pipe with proper steel conduit, but would
need to hire a hilmor tube bender for bends and suitable tap/die set
for making off re bush-entry at each end (or conduit box). It should
also be earthed and that earth needs to be accessible for Inspection &
Testing. Flexible steel conduit does not comply with 526-06-06, this
is why people use BS8436 because it does not need special glands like
SWA that must remain accessible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"js.b1" wrote in message

You absolutely can not use old gas piping for mains wiring.

A conduit is a conduit. I see no reason not to use it. Where does it say
it cannot be used?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge]
wibbled on Monday 28 June 2010 14:35

js.b1 wrote:
No.

You could drill new holes just for the cable.

Alternatively use BS8436 cable in the notches -
www.discountelectrical.co.uk

That is an advertising links site

You're right. I do believe he meant:

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel
wibbled on Monday 28 June 2010 16:05

"js.b1" wrote in message

You absolutely can not use old gas piping for mains wiring.

A conduit is a conduit. I see no reason not to use it. Where does it say
it cannot be used?

When it's as rough on the inside as your skull?

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"js.b1" wrote in message

You absolutely can not use old gas piping for mains wiring.

A conduit is a conduit. I see no reason not to use it. Where does it
say
it cannot be used?

When it's as rough on the inside as your skull?

To be fair, there is lots of space inside Drivels skull. And what is inside
will not chaff anything.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message
Can i use old gas pipe for electrical conduit?

The floor rafters are notched at the top,
which is too high to put wire through as nails could pierce them,
but if i thread the cable through the old gaspipe
using the existing notches,
would this be 17th edition legal?

[g]

It would make no difference to the electrical safety unless it is an old
steel pipe.

You can knock a nail through the old lead gas pipes easier than you can
through wood.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"js.b1" wrote in message

You absolutely can not use old gas piping for mains wiring.

A conduit is a conduit. I see no reason not to use it. Where does it
say
it cannot be used?

When it's as rough on the inside as your skull?

To be fair, there is lots of space inside Drivels skull. And what is
inside will not chaff anything.

You are right. Imagine what it would be like if it was filled? I lace you
lot not even trying to think. Stephen Hawkins eat your heart out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"js.b1" wrote in message

You absolutely can not use old gas piping for mains wiring.

A conduit is a conduit. I see no reason not to use it. Where does it
say
it cannot be used?

When it's as rough on the inside as your skull?

F**king idiot! Must come from Kent or Sussex or some other boring place.
There is nothing wrong with using the pipe. You just grease the cable when
pulling through and then test. Duh!!!!

No reg ANYWHERE says you can't use it. Duh!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain writes:
On 28 June, 13:10, "george [dicegeorge]" wrote:
Can i use old gas pipe for electrical conduit?

The floor rafters are notched at the top,
which is too high to put wire through as nails could pierce them,
but if i thread the cable through the old gaspipe
using the existing notches,
would this be 17th edition legal?

Gas pipe may have burrs inside which could damage the cable.

Well mine don't - it generates unnecessary flow resistance.
However, not everyone's a perfectionist ;-)

In some cases, it might still have gas inside :-)

I have reused a gas pipe for central heating radiator connection.
It was conventiently the right route, and avoided ripping up
(even more) floor. It's 1/2" copper tube.

--
Andrew Gabriel