Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default from whence electrical-conduit locknuts?

z wrote:

On Dec 23, 2:12 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Dec 23, 12:30 pm, wrote:

who invented these nuisances (requires a special tool) - and was there
an underlying good reason to NOT use ordinary hardware?

They don't "require" a special tool. You can snug them up with a
small channellocks ot tighten them or loosen them with a hammer and
screwdriver.

That's not really a big plus. Smacking on the end of a screwdriver to
tighten these up is optimal for neither the tightness of the nut, the
tip of the screwdriver, or the skin on your face.

That's why God created apprentices.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Parity on, dudes!
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 12:30 pm, wrote:

who invented these nuisances (requires a special tool) - and was
there
an underlying good reason to NOT use ordinary hardware?

They don't "require" a special tool. You can snug them up with a
small channellocks ot tighten them or loosen them with a hammer and
screwdriver.

That's not really a big plus. Smacking on the end of a screwdriver to
tighten these up is optimal for neither the tightness of the nut, the
tip of the screwdriver, or the skin on your face.

That's why God created apprentices.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Parity on, dudes!

I wonder why some of my screwdrivers have steel shanks all the way through
and large steel caps on the back end? Actually, I have been an apprentice
and a journeyman electrician, tightened many locknuts, and used either
"ChannelLocks" or a screwdriver with either a hammer or a pair of "Kleins"
to hit it with, depending on access to the locknut and what tool was in my
hands at the time. Either way works good.

Don Young

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Don Young wrote:

I wonder why some of my screwdrivers have steel shanks all the way through
and large steel caps on the back end? Actually, I have been an apprentice
and a journeyman electrician, tightened many locknuts, and used either
"ChannelLocks" or a screwdriver with either a hammer or a pair of "Kleins"
to hit it with, depending on access to the locknut and what tool was in my
hands at the time. Either way works good.

I second the Kleins-and-screwdriver method.

I've also found that if I had-tighten the locknut it will provide enough
tension that the external fitting can be rotated tight with Kleins without
having to hammer on the lock nut.

I'm not an apprentice or a journeyman, but I know what a pair of Kleins are.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 12:30 pm, wrote:

who invented these nuisances (requires a special tool) - and was
there
an underlying good reason to NOT use ordinary hardware?

They don't "require" a special tool. You can snug them up with a
small channellocks ot tighten them or loosen them with a hammer and
screwdriver.

That's not really a big plus. Smacking on the end of a screwdriver to
tighten these up is optimal for neither the tightness of the nut, the
tip of the screwdriver, or the skin on your face.

That's why God created apprentices.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Parity on, dudes!

I wonder why some of my screwdrivers have steel shanks all the way through
and large steel caps on the back end?

There are probably dozens (hundreds) of applications in which a good rap
to the end of a screwdriver is called for. This is one of them.

On the other hand, I know some electricians who don't like this kind of
screwdriver due to the danger of accidentally contacting the back end of
the shank while the business end is in a hot circuit.

Actually, I have been an apprentice
and a journeyman electrician, tightened many locknuts, and used either
"ChannelLocks" or a screwdriver with either a hammer or a pair of "Kleins"
to hit it with, depending on access to the locknut and what tool was in my
hands at the time. Either way works good.

I've seen some sort of locknut wrench. It appeared similar to an open
end wrench (so one could get it around existing wiring I suppose) with
two teeth projecting from their face. I imagine these come in several
sizes. Probably handy for big jobs but these sorts of gadgets require a
tradeoff between saving a few seconds per use and the weight of ones
tool belt.

Don Young

--
Paul Hovnanian
Procrastinators: The leaders for tomorrow.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:29:53 -0800, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Don Young wrote:
I wonder why some of my screwdrivers have steel shanks all the way through
and large steel caps on the back end?

On the other hand, I know some electricians who don't like this kind of
screwdriver due to the danger of accidentally contacting the back end of
the shank while the business end is in a hot circuit.

As if one has only one screwdriver...

I've seen some sort of locknut wrench. It appeared similar to an open

tradeoff between saving a few seconds per use and the weight of ones
tool belt.

Save weight by having only one screwdriver, only to make up for it with
a half-dozen wrenches? No thanks.

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

from whence electrical-conduit locknuts? [email protected] UK diy 9 January 7th 08 02:57 AM
from whence electrical-conduit locknuts? Jamie Home Repair 13 December 25th 07 08:53 PM
Fitting Electrical Conduit [email protected] UK diy 8 January 14th 05 07:43 PM
Electrical conduit. PVR Home Repair 8 January 12th 05 01:02 AM
Electrical questions on using conduit Wayne Whitney Home Repair 29 September 24th 04 05:56 AM