Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint keeps ok

I found an unopened 4L tin of cheapy gloss white under a bench in the
workshop and decided to use it. Bit of a laugh, it said, 'Do not stir' -
as it was supposedly a jelly type. When I opened it I found a couple of
inches of pigment in the bottom and on top of that was several inches of
brown fluid. Stirring away for a good few minutes yielded an ok white
paint, but I wondered if it would still be any good.

That was yesterday; today the first coat has dried fine, and since it's
only a workbench I'm painting I don't know if I cba doing a second coat.

The tin is twelve years old, if it's of any interest.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 27, 3:55*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:
I found an unopened 4L tin of cheapy gloss white under a bench in the
workshop and decided to use it. Bit of a laugh, it said, 'Do not stir' -
as it was supposedly a jelly type. When I opened it I found a couple of
inches of pigment in the bottom and on top of that was several inches of
brown fluid. Stirring away for a good few minutes yielded an ok white
paint, but I wondered if it would still be any good.

That was yesterday; today the first coat has dried fine, and since it's
only a workbench I'm painting I don't know if I cba doing a second coat.

The tin is twelve years old, if it's of any interest.

Gel paints are fine stirred. If you want it to regel first, just let
it sit again

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I found an unopened 4L tin of cheapy gloss white under a bench in the
workshop and decided to use it. Bit of a laugh, it said, 'Do not stir' -
as it was supposedly a jelly type. When I opened it I found a couple of
inches of pigment in the bottom and on top of that was several inches of
brown fluid. Stirring away for a good few minutes yielded an ok white
paint, but I wondered if it would still be any good.

That was yesterday; today the first coat has dried fine, and since it's
only a workbench I'm painting I don't know if I cba doing a second coat.

The tin is twelve years old, if it's of any interest.

Gel paints are fine stirred. If you want it to regel first, just let
it sit again

NT

I was astonished last summer, by how much white spirit I could add to get
rid of the gel in some black gloss: even when seemingly very runny, it would
still gel up again on standing.

And, on old tins: I've found that apart from getting the skin off without
getting bits in the paint, the problem tends to be the metal rusting into
the paint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 June, 15:55, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:
I found an unopened 4L tin of cheapy gloss white under a bench in the
workshop and decided to use it. Bit of a laugh, it said, 'Do not stir' -
as it was supposedly a jelly type. When I opened it I found a couple of
inches of pigment in the bottom and on top of that was several inches of
brown fluid. Stirring away for a good few minutes yielded an ok white
paint, but I wondered if it would still be any good.

That was yesterday; today the first coat has dried fine, and since it's
only a workbench I'm painting I don't know if I cba doing a second coat.

The tin is twelve years old, if it's of any interest.

The way to preserve paint is to first make sure the lid is tight &
then store inverted. Has the other advantage of no need topoke holes
in any skin that does form.