Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solvent for carbon/soot on a brick wall?

Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot against
the garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it has left a
black carbon/soot mark on the wall.

I'm pondering on the best way to get it off.

Ideas? Best solvent to use? Techniques to avoid?

Cheers,
DaveyOz
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:

Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot against
the garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it has left a
black carbon/soot mark on the wall.

I'm pondering on the best way to get it off.

Ideas? Best solvent to use? Techniques to avoid?

Cheers,
DaveyOz

well acetone of cellulose thinners will take out styrene, but IME carbon
is there till abraded away, so pressure washer my be a place to start or
wire brush.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:14:29 +0100, Dave Osborne
wrote:

Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot against
the garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it has left a
black carbon/soot mark on the wall.

Well biological washing powder/liquid is designed to tackle organic
[ie containing carbon] stains so a strong solution and a good scrub
might be worth trying.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot against
the garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it has left a
black carbon/soot mark on the wall.

Well biological washing powder/liquid is designed to tackle organic
[ie containing carbon] stains so a strong solution and a good scrub
might be worth trying.

Assuming it is carbon then the scrubbing might work if the brick isn't to
much like a sponge but the soap powder is a waste.

What's needed is to convert the carbon to CO2, heat and oxygen or less heat
and ozone.
Maybe sparks from an electric fencer would remove the carbon, slowly?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message

Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot against the
garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it has left a black
carbon/soot mark on the wall.

I'm pondering on the best way to get it off.

Ideas? Best solvent to use? Techniques to avoid?

Cheers,
DaveyOz

If it is actually dry carbon and the wall is dry and uncoated then a
blowlamp is best bet. If there is any moisture in the brick it may explode
though... On the other hand, if it is a yoghurt pot or similar it will
probably be oily and or not have penetrated. Scrubbing brush and detergent
will remove it then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:49:46 +0100, "Spamlet"
wrote:

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message

Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot against the
garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it has left a black
carbon/soot mark on the wall.

I'm pondering on the best way to get it off.

Ideas? Best solvent to use? Techniques to avoid?

Cheers,
DaveyOz

If it is actually dry carbon and the wall is dry and uncoated then a
blowlamp is best bet. If there is any moisture in the brick it may explode
though... On the other hand, if it is a yoghurt pot or similar it will
probably be oily and or not have penetrated. Scrubbing brush and detergent
will remove it then.

Angle grinder, followed by car body filler.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:40:43 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot against
the garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it has left a
black carbon/soot mark on the wall.

Well biological washing powder/liquid is designed to tackle organic
[ie containing carbon] stains so a strong solution and a good scrub
might be worth trying.

Assuming it is carbon then the scrubbing might work if the brick isn't to
much like a sponge but the soap powder is a waste.

Just thought it might help loosen it from the surface, but you both
may well be right.

Alternatively, aren't there commercial caustic or acid products
designed for just this sort of thing?

Or maybe try oven cleaner - some of that stuff is brutal. 'Try on a
small patch first' as the instructions always say
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot against the
garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it has left a black
carbon/soot mark on the wall.

I'm pondering on the best way to get it off.

Ideas? Best solvent to use? Techniques to avoid?

Cheers,
DaveyOz

If it is actually dry carbon and the wall is dry and uncoated then a
blowlamp is best bet. If there is any moisture in the brick it may explode
though... On the other hand, if it is a yoghurt pot or similar it will
probably be oily and or not have penetrated. Scrubbing brush and detergent
will remove it then.

Angle grinder, followed by car body filler.

Can I try WD40 first?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot against
the garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it has left a
black carbon/soot mark on the wall.

Well biological washing powder/liquid is designed to tackle organic
[ie containing carbon] stains so a strong solution and a good scrub
might be worth trying.

Organic substances contain carbon, but I wouldn't call elemental carbon organic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot against the
garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it has left a black
carbon/soot mark on the wall.

I'm pondering on the best way to get it off.

Ideas? Best solvent to use? Techniques to avoid?

Cheers,
DaveyOz
If it is actually dry carbon and the wall is dry and uncoated then a
blowlamp is best bet. *If there is any moisture in the brick it may explode
though... *On the other hand, if it is a yoghurt pot or similar it will
probably be oily and or not have penetrated. *Scrubbing brush and detergent
will remove it then.

Angle grinder, followed by car body filler.

Can I try WD40 first?

There are some silly sods on this board. Why the hell do they insist
on posting blind ideas that might make things worse for all they know?

If you put oil on the wall it will stain it. But I assume you can do
what you want.
Carbon sticks to grease but not to water. Therefore it will be holding
onto the brick by friction which is low with carbon or because the
brick is wet.

Anything else and it will dust off and smear to parts of the wall that
are wet or oily. Have you tried brushing it off?

If it won't brush off it is sticking to the oily stuff that was
produced in combustion. Wash it off with water and then get the rest
off with a stiff brush and carpet cleaner or some effective detergent.

I'd suggest Ajax cream if it was something like a cooker you were
degreasing. You might try it on a brick somewhere out of sight, to see
if that will come off with a good rinse. I assume the cutting paste in
it is chalk, so it should.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 27, 9:25*am, Weatherlawyer wrote:

Carbon sticks to grease but not to water. Therefore it will be holding
onto the brick by friction which is low with carbon or because the
brick is wet.

Anything else and it will dust off and smear to parts of the wall that
are wet or oily. Have you tried brushing it off?

Czjd!
I meant greasy or oily

...it will be holding onto the brick by friction which is low with carbon
or because the brick is greasy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:
Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot

against the garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it
has left a black carbon/soot mark on the wall.
Well biological washing powder/liquid is designed to tackle organic
[ie containing carbon] stains so a strong solution and a good scrub
might be worth trying.

Organic substances contain carbon, but I wouldn't call elemental
carbon organic.

It's not - "organic" refers to carbon *compounds*. Elemental carbon is
an element, not a compound.

Organic refers to almost anything these days.

Really, its an alternative for 'Godly and Pious' and has as little meaning..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer
wibbled on Sunday 27 June 2010 09:25

Angle grinder, followed by car body filler.

Can I try WD40 first?

There are some silly sods on this board. Why the hell do they insist
on posting blind ideas that might make things worse for all they know?

Whoooosh!

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:
Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot

against the garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it
has left a black carbon/soot mark on the wall.
Well biological washing powder/liquid is designed to tackle organic
[ie containing carbon] stains so a strong solution and a good scrub
might be worth trying.

Organic substances contain carbon, but I wouldn't call elemental
carbon organic.

It's not - "organic" refers to carbon *compounds*. Elemental carbon is
an element, not a compound.

Erm .. yes, that was my point. To be more explicit, there's no reason to think
an agent designed to "tackle organic stains" would be any use on carbon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:
Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot
against the garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it
has left a black carbon/soot mark on the wall.
Well biological washing powder/liquid is designed to tackle organic
[ie containing carbon] stains so a strong solution and a good scrub
might be worth trying.

Organic substances contain carbon, but I wouldn't call elemental
carbon organic.

It's not - "organic" refers to carbon *compounds*. Elemental carbon is
an element, not a compound.

Erm .. yes, that was my point. To be more explicit, there's no reason
to think an agent designed to "tackle organic stains" would be any use
on carbon.

So is that what's on Victorian brickwork? I've just acquired some yellow
stocks, and the parts that were exposed to the elements have a layer of
soot/grime that looks similar to the baked on fat in an oven. I've got
enough good edges for the front garden wall, so I'm not that bothered,
but one assumes that nothing other than abrasion will shift it or
blasting wouldn't be the norm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Gib Bogle wrote:

Organic substances contain carbon, but I wouldn't call elemental
carbon organic.

So is that what's on Victorian brickwork? I've just acquired some yellow
stocks, and the parts that were exposed to the elements have a layer of
soot/grime

Yes, 10 Downing Street is built with yellow brick, but you'd never guess
that would you, couple of centuries worth of grime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Gib Bogle
saying something like:

Tim Watts wrote:
Weatherlawyer
wibbled on Sunday 27 June 2010 09:25

Angle grinder, followed by car body filler.
Can I try WD40 first?
There are some silly sods on this board. Why the hell do they insist
on posting blind ideas that might make things worse for all they know?

Whoooosh!

Embarrassing

It's the meds not kicking in yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Gib Bogle wrote:

Organic substances contain carbon, but I wouldn't call elemental
carbon organic.

So is that what's on Victorian brickwork? I've just acquired some yellow
stocks, and the parts that were exposed to the elements have a layer of
soot/grime

Yes, 10 Downing Street is built with yellow brick, but you'd never guess
that would you, couple of centuries worth of grime.

And as for that front door, it looks like it's been given a new coat of
gloss every year for a couple of centuries without ever being taken back
to bare wood, although it's probably not wood at all
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember stuart noble
saying something like:

Yes, 10 Downing Street is built with yellow brick, but you'd never guess
that would you, couple of centuries worth of grime.

And as for that front door, it looks like it's been given a new coat of
gloss every year for a couple of centuries without ever being taken back
to bare wood, although it's probably not wood at all

Istr a new front door being fitted yonks back and I wondered at the time
if it was an armoured assembly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dave Osborne wrote:
Some gormless idiot appears to have set fire to a yoghurt pot

against the garden wall (red brick). Whatever it actually was, it
has left a black carbon/soot mark on the wall.
I'm pondering on the best way to get it off.
Ideas? Best solvent to use? Techniques to avoid?
Cheers,
DaveyOz

well acetone of cellulose thinners will take out styrene, but IME
carbon is there till abraded away, so pressure washer my be a place to
start or wire brush.

Such carbon would not be soluble in anything, I wouldn't have thought.
What about a blow torch - that would burn it off but would it harm the
brickwork/mortar?

Well done Tim; good call!

Just been out with assorted scrapers, wire brushes and blow lamps.

Tried a propane/butane mix conventional blow lamp first, but after five
minutes or so I could see that was going to be a marathon not a sprint,
so switched to Sievert Ultragas blow lamp, which worked a treat.

Ten minutes with a blow lamp, thirty seconds with a wire brush (to brush
away the white ash) and you can hardly tell there was ever any soot.

Cheers,
DaveyOz
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2010 16:08, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember stuart noble
saying something like:

Yes, 10 Downing Street is built with yellow brick, but you'd never guess
that would you, couple of centuries worth of grime.

And as for that front door, it looks like it's been given a new coat of
gloss every year for a couple of centuries without ever being taken back
to bare wood, although it's probably not wood at all

Istr a new front door being fitted yonks back and I wondered at the time
if it was an armoured assembly.

ISTR reading recently that there is a spare front door - so they can
swap it over quickly for maintenance !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

10 Downing Street is built with yellow brick, but you'd never
guess that would you, couple of centuries worth of grime.

And as for that front door, it looks like it's been given a new coat of
gloss every year for a couple of centuries without ever being taken back
to bare wood, although it's probably not wood at all

It's steel now (the IRA saw to that) apparently they have two, so when
one needs painting they swap them overnight and paint the other one
ready for next time.

Given how often hospitals seem to gain a fresh coat of paint whenever
some minor dignitary or politico is visiting, I assume that door gets
swapped pretty frequently ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 June, 14:33, stuart noble wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Gib Bogle wrote:

Organic substances contain carbon, but I wouldn't call elemental
carbon organic.

So is that what's on Victorian brickwork? I've just acquired some yellow
stocks, and the parts that were exposed to the elements have a layer of
soot/grime

Yes, 10 Downing Street is built with yellow brick, but you'd never guess
that would you, couple of centuries worth of grime.

And as for that front door, it looks like it's been given a new coat of
gloss every year for a couple of centuries without ever being taken back
to bare wood, although it's probably not wood at all

I read there are two front doors for No. 10 - one is always being
tittivated, which is why the one you see is always immaculate.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 June, 19:08, robert wrote:
On 27/06/2010 16:08, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember stuart noble
*saying something like:

Yes, 10 Downing Street is built with yellow brick, but you'd never guess
that would you, couple of centuries worth of grime.

And as for that front door, it looks like it's been given a new coat of
gloss every year for a couple of centuries without ever being taken back
to bare wood, although it's probably not wood at all

Istr a new front door being fitted yonks back and I wondered at the time
if it was an armoured assembly.

ISTR reading recently that there is a spare front door - so they can
swap it over quickly for maintenance !

Which is also why we have two David Camerons as Prime Minister, of
course.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2010 16:08, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember stuart noble
saying something like:

Yes, 10 Downing Street is built with yellow brick, but you'd never guess
that would you, couple of centuries worth of grime.

And as for that front door, it looks like it's been given a new coat of
gloss every year for a couple of centuries without ever being taken back
to bare wood, although it's probably not wood at all

Istr a new front door being fitted yonks back and I wondered at the time
if it was an armoured assembly.

Yes it was, due to our neighbours in Ireland.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

LOL!

*whoosh*

If you jumped, you might just have caught it as it flew over your head.

The answer is Vaseline, of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

There are some silly sods on this board. Why the hell do they insist
on posting blind ideas that might make things worse for all they know?

PS. What "board" are you talking about?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chunkyoldcortina wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:

There are some silly sods on this board.

PS. What "board" are you talking about?

'nuff said.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:23:57 +0100, chunkyoldcortina
wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:

There are some silly sods on this board. Why the hell do they insist
on posting blind ideas that might make things worse for all they know?

PS. What "board" are you talking about?

Switchboard, probably.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Obviously you're new to this group...

--
Frank Erskine

Parts washer solvent options (and then disposal of used solvent) [email protected] Metalworking 12 March 18th 18 02:49 AM
New Brick Wall WALKERMAN Home Ownership 2 March 2nd 05 10:25 PM
Brick wall Lawrence Zarb UK diy 6 January 1st 05 09:04 PM
Cleaning Soot from Brick? Rob Houston Home Repair 1 February 8th 04 01:45 PM