Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine filling when off?

Have Googled somewhat for the answer to this, and it seems to be 90/10 split
(90% likely backfill / 10% likely bad valve(s) in machine). Considering the
outlet hose 'curved bit' hooks into the plumbing at a height of about 3ft
(about 6in short of the top of the machine), that seems to rule out backfill
issues - or does it? Seemed the main (only?) backfill cause was height (or
hose crimping etc). Does anyone know?

This happened once before, maybe two years ago, then again yesterday (i.e
come home to find water on the floor & the drum 1/3 full). Although, there
have been many small (an inch or two wide) puddles just under one corner of
the machine over this time.

Cheers ... Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
Have Googled somewhat for the answer to this, and it seems to be 90/10
split
(90% likely backfill / 10% likely bad valve(s) in machine). Considering
the
outlet hose 'curved bit' hooks into the plumbing at a height of about 3ft
(about 6in short of the top of the machine), that seems to rule out
backfill
issues - or does it? Seemed the main (only?) backfill cause was height (or
hose crimping etc). Does anyone know?

This happened once before, maybe two years ago, then again yesterday (i.e
come home to find water on the floor & the drum 1/3 full). Although, there
have been many small (an inch or two wide) puddles just under one corner
of
the machine over this time.

Cheers ... Mark

It has to be the inlet valve letting by for the amount of water you are
describing - for it to have come from the drain, where would it have come
from, the pipes cant hold that much water!

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 10:13*am, Mark wrote:
Have Googled somewhat for the answer to this, and it seems to be 90/10 split
(90% likely backfill / 10% likely bad valve(s) in machine). Considering the
outlet hose 'curved bit' hooks into the plumbing at a height of about 3ft
(about 6in short of the top of the machine), that seems to rule out backfill
issues - or does it? Seemed the main (only?) backfill cause was height (or
hose crimping etc). Does anyone know?

This happened once before, maybe two years ago, then again yesterday (i.e
come home to find water on the floor & the drum 1/3 full). Although, there
have been many small (an inch or two wide) puddles just under one corner of
the machine over this time.

Cheers ... Mark

Filling with clean water = fill valve fault
Filling with foul water = drain issue

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:35:37 +0100, NT wrote
(in article
):

On Jun 25, 10:13*am, Mark wrote:
Have Googled somewhat for the answer to this, and it seems to be 90/10 split
(90% likely backfill / 10% likely bad valve(s) in machine). Considering the
outlet hose 'curved bit' hooks into the plumbing at a height of about 3ft
(about 6in short of the top of the machine), that seems to rule out backfill
issues - or does it? Seemed the main (only?) backfill cause was height (or
hose crimping etc). Does anyone know?

This happened once before, maybe two years ago, then again yesterday (i.e
come home to find water on the floor & the drum 1/3 full). Although, there
have been many small (an inch or two wide) puddles just under one corner of
the machine over this time.

Cheers ... Mark

Filling with clean water = fill valve fault
Filling with foul water = drain issue

NT

Hard to tell. Couldn't open machine otherwise it would have gone all over
floor. Tried the 'sniff' test after I'd drained it, but wasn't sure (my sense
of smell is useless). Through the (admittedly slightly dirty) door window it
looked relatively clean, and I put very little water down the kitchen sink.
However, the shower is just behind the wall, and feeds into the same pipes
(within 3 or 4 feet). Could the shower water somehow back up the washing
machine outlet?

Cheers ... Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 10:13 am, Mark wrote:
[...]

I read the part "come home to find water on the floor & the drum 1/3 full"
as in it all happened when you were all out!?

Is this not the case?

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 10:13*am, Mark wrote:
[...]

so disconnect the fill hose and see what happens

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:49:07 +0100, Toby wrote
(in article ):

On Jun 25, 10:13 am, Mark wrote:
[...]

It did. The water had filled (well, 1/3) the drum & also leaked out from
somewhere (maybe the same place as the 'regular' very small puddles I see as
above). Opening the door would have let the flood out. It had still managed
to find it's way to the back wall & between broken floorboards there. It was
much worse last time as the drum was much fuller and I opened it without
thinking after finding the floor awash!

Cheers ... Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:02:07 +0100, NT wrote
(in article
):

On Jun 25, 10:13*am, Mark wrote:
[...]

I've turned off the two taps where the inlet hoses are attached to the
bathroom sink pipes. Presumably now if the same thing happens it'll show it's
the backfill. However, I am mindfull this has only happened twice in 4+ years
(so it happening/not happening is no guarantee of cause), and also - at the
moment anyway as I'm off to work - I can't wait with bucket/towels in hand
"just in case". I'll probably remove the drainage hose, stick it in a bucket
and give it a try on Sunday when I can observe.

Cheers ... Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 10:13*am, Mark wrote:
[...]

I'd disconnect them to be sure
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 10:13 am, Mark wrote:
[...]

If it was the filler valve, more interesting is the question of why and how
it *stopped* leaking.
The valves are normally assisted in keeping shut by the water pressure, but
if the valve seat is worn or the solenoid is sometimes getting stuck: why
would it then stop? Maybe ther is a combined problem of a wearing
valve/diaphragm/solenoid and intermittent too low/high water pressure. You
say the machine was 'off' : was this as in never having been on, or as in
'has stopped while full'? In the second case at least, the filler valve is
not likely the problem. There you have an *intermittent* fault: which
points to an electrical problem...

Careful step by step study of your set up will no doubt lead you to the
cause.

Assuming this had happened during a wash cycle, and therefore you don't have
broken and permanently leaking valve: that leaves the water level monitoring
device, which is a rather clever air pressure measuring system, and if any
of its tubes get blocked - as is likely in any old machine, esp in a hard
water area, and if you are a bit liberal with the soap powder - the machine
may over-fill. It is also possible if this is an intermittent fault that
the contacts in the diaphragm switch that is operated by the, possibly
blocked, pressure tubes are on the way out. As your machine did eventually
stop filling then I assume this would be a contacts problem.

Every home should have:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Washerdrier-...7477031&sr=8-6
And it tells you simply how to check and fix this fault.

Cheap as chips (much cheaper!) and everything you need to know to fix the
vast majority of faults, as they have not changed much over the years.
Cannot recommend any DIY manual that is more useful. (There are actually
quite a few versions of this manual around and they can usually be got for
next to nothing.)

There are a suprising number of rubber tubes in a washing machine, and if
you have had it for any length of time a number of them will be getting full
of crud. When you have the m/c apart to change or clean the level switch or
filler valve, take the time to clean out all the pipework, and pumps as
well: they all come apart quite easily, once you have cracked the initial
puzzle of how the case comes apart. (Many bits you can get at from above or
below though.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Every home should have:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Washerdrier-...Haynes-Garden/...
And it tells you simply how to check and fix this fault.

Cheap as chips (much cheaper!) and everything you need to know to fix the
vast majority of faults, as they have not changed much over the years.
Cannot recommend any DIY manual that is more useful. *(There are actually
quite a few versions of this manual around and they can usually be got for
next to nothing.)

There are a suprising number of rubber tubes in a washing machine, and if
you have had it for any length of time a number of them will be getting full
of crud. *When you have the m/c apart to change or clean the level switch or
filler valve, take the time to clean out all the pipework, and pumps as
well: they all come apart quite easily, once you have cracked the initial
puzzle of how the case comes apart. (Many bits you can get at from above or
below though.)

the usual explanation given for intermittent valve leak is grit caught
in the valve.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 10:13 am, Mark wrote:
[...]

But that still leaves the puzzle of why it had stopped filling by the time
he got back? (Worth checking that the filter at the valve inlet has not
been broken or left out though - perhaps there is some crud getting stirred
up in the pipes from time to time.) That would leave, either a pressure
variation in the supply - water hammer? -, or back filling from the outflow:
which, if it's normally open ended like all those I've had, does not seem
very likely either. One would have to see the set up and engage in some
heavy duty head scratching I think! Interesting, but not much help to the
OP I'm afraid :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the
outlet hose 'curved bit' hooks into the plumbing at a height of
about
3ft
(about 6in short of the top of the machine), that seems to rule out
backfill
issues - or does it? Seemed the main (only?) backfill cause was
height
(or
hose crimping etc). Does anyone know?

Looking at the question on unblocking drains, reminds me of another
possibility, but it would depend on your m/c's outflow pipe being plumbed in
rather than just dangled as all the ones I've dealt with have been. Our
washing machine blocks up our - rather small bore - waste pipes with an evil
mix of soap powder, fat, and carbonate/phosphate, that has to be cleaned out
regularly. When it does need doing, the water backs up, and all the sinks
gurgle back up the line, as they are then the only outlet for displaced air
when sinks further down the line are emptied. *If* your m/c has similarly
blocked up the pipes, and *if* its outlet is plumbed in, rather than loose,
then, when someone empties a bath say, further up the line, it could back up
right into your washing machine.