Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slow filling washing machine

I have a Speed Queen Marathon washing machine (Model NA3511).

The washing machine fills VERY slowly, especially with hot water.

Hot water (at full-strength) comes of the hot-water hose.
Cold water (at full-strength) comes out of the cold-water hose.
The screens at the water inlet valve are clean.
The water inlet valve is OK (tested with a volt-ohm meter).

What other parts should I check (and how do I test them)?

The washer has:

a large dial to select the wash-cycle and duration of each cycle
a dial to select the water-level (for large, medium and small
loads)
a dial to select the water-temperature (hot, warm or cold).

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 22 Apr 2006 12:20:40 -0700, wrote:

I have a Speed Queen Marathon washing machine (Model NA3511).

The washing machine fills VERY slowly, especially with hot water.

I've found that only with warm water, that means the sum of cold and
hot at the same time, does my machine fill at the speed I'm used to.
If one of them is off, because I chose cold or hot water, or the
faucet is off, it fills at half speed, and that seems very slow.

Hot water (at full-strength) comes of the hot-water hose.
Cold water (at full-strength) comes out of the cold-water hose.
The screens at the water inlet valve are clean.
The water inlet valve is OK (tested with a volt-ohm meter).

It's good that you say how you test something. I don't especially
think this is the problem, but it's very very unlikely you would get
anything but full voltage at the inlet valve. Unless you got zero
voltage which would mean no more water would be entering than when the
machine was off.

So besides the electricity being right, the valve has to mechanically
be good. It has to open all the way and not have an obstruction.

I think I would turn the water off and listen to the sound of the
valve open when you have the water temp on hot, and on cold. The
sound should be the same, I guess, and should take the same length of
time, I guess, and should end with the same sort of thump or bump or
click.

What other parts should I check (and how do I test them)?

The washer has:

a large dial to select the wash-cycle and duration of each cycle

This is the duration *after* it fills.

a dial to select the water-level (for large, medium and small
loads)

This is the level, but the fill rate should still be high as ever
until it reaches that level.

a dial to select the water-temperature (hot, warm or cold).

See above.

I don't think there is anything between the hose and the tub but the
intake valve. If it's not your imagination that it fills too slow,
it's one or both halves of the intake valve. No?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hot water and cold water flow at full-volume INTO the inlet-valve.

The inlet-valve is mechanically and electrically OK (because hot water
and cold water flow at full-volume OUT of the valve)

After the inlet-value, what other part(s) can reduce the volume of the
water going into the tub? And how to I test that/those part(s)?

kmskuba sedatkzyk UK diy 2 March 29th 06 07:08 PM
kmskuba sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 28th 06 02:28 PM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 March 27th 06 03:24 PM
blocks of stuff in drain out of washing machine dave @ stejonda UK diy 7 July 23rd 04 01:09 AM
Box/Valve to prevent washing machine hose break and flooding? kevins_news2 Home Repair 19 April 27th 04 05:16 PM