Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing rivets

Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio but
the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker surround
?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:04:43 +0100, "Stephen" wrote:

Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio but
the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker surround
?

Angle grinder.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible
Clio but the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker
surround ?

Drill them out.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio
but the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker
surround ?

Not having a Clio... it depends what you mean by rivets. If they are
plastic pop rivets that have a plastic pin through the middle you can push
it through and then prise the rivet out. Otherwise, it's careful drilling
as the others have suggested.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2010 22:38, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:04:43 +0100, wrote:

Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio but
the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker surround
?

Angle grinder.

Cut a hole in the door from the outside, and go in from behind of the
speaker. Make good the remaining mess with car body filler.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc

On Jun 22, 9:04*pm, "Stephen" wrote:
Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio but
the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker surround?

Wouldn't you be better off asking on a car forum? oreeble'.clio.fr or
some such? There may be someone with the required skills on here but
the chances are slim are they not?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio
but the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker
surround ?

You can try drilling them out but they will eventually just spin in the
hole, then you can try to grab a bit of the torn-up rivet with needle pliers
and hold it still but that won't work and you'll grate your hand with the
drill chuck and then fling a piece of ripped-off rivet into your eye. Then,
in desperation, you'll try to hold the back of the rivet with a finger and
a) burn yourself, then b) cut a perfect circle into your fingertip when the
rivet spins anyway, then c) drill into your finger and firmly attach
yourself to a piece of cardboard out of the door of a horrible piece of
French ****.

Best of luck explaining that in A&E.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
On Jun 22, 9:04 pm, "Stephen" wrote:
Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio
but
the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker
surround?

Wouldn't you be better off asking on a car forum? oreeble'.clio.fr or
some such? There may be someone with the required skills on here but
the chances are slim are they not?

On form to date I'd have though the chances were pretty good!
Excellent group this is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio
but the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker
surround ?

This sounds about right from what I remember from my own renault - though
not a clio -:
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Motor...ion148636.html

Get the door trim off and tackle the rivets from the back, and replace with
proper screws for next time. (Actually you may find the window winder (if
its not an electric jobby) has a spring clip that has to be prised out
before it pulls off : I'm getting a bit out of date here though...)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 June, 21:04, "Stephen" wrote:

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker surround

Aluminium pop rivets?

You drill the heads off, then they fall out. This requires a VERY
SHARP drill (brand new is good) a little bigger than the rivet (at
least bigger than the hole it's in, usually easier if it's bigger than
the head) and a hand drill with good speed control and a gentle
trigger. It's also useful if the central chisel point of the drill is
smaller than the hole in the middle of the rivet, to help guide it.
You can use a favoured drill with slightly re-ground edges (concave),
but that's tricky.

Then go to it, but BE GENTLE. If the rivet falls out and you don't
stop immediately, you'll push the drill straight through the plastic
speaker surround.

Soft aluminium rivets with protruding steel pins can't be drilled like
this (the drill skids off), so you're best taking an angle grinder to
them.

Don't go crazy at making swarf. Steel swarf is a bad thing near
speakers - bag them up first (or else just cut the aluminium).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio
but the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker
surround ?

Apart from this thread you will find several others if you google "clio
speaker rivets"
You are far from the first. Here's a starter:
http://www.106owners.co.uk/forums/th...ited?p=1048079

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
On Jun 22, 9:04 pm, "Stephen" wrote:
Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio
but
the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker
surround?

Wouldn't you be better off asking on a car forum? oreeble'.clio.fr or
some such? There may be someone with the required skills on here but
the chances are slim are they not?

A V12 sidewinder unit should do the job, I have one in the loft but the
valves have blown. You should be able to get a cheap one from ebay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc

On 06/07/2010 03:12, Iris Trinder wrote:
wrote in message
On Jun 22, 9:04 pm, wrote:
Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio
but
the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker
surround?

As far as I know, you didn't say what form the rivets were.

Expand on this and I might be able to come op with an answer.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc

wrote in message
On Jun 22, 9:04 pm, wrote:
Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio
but
the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker
surround?

As far as I know, you didn't say what form the rivets were.

Expand on this and I might be able to come op with an answer.

Dave

Hi Dave,

They are pop rivets, which hold the speaker on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc

wrote in message
On Jun 22, 9:04 pm, wrote:
Hi Chaps,

I'm trying miserably to change the speakers in my daughter orrible Clio
but
the speakers are rivets on to the inner door skin.

How do you get the rivets off without breaking the plastic speaker
surround?

As far as I know, you didn't say what form the rivets were.

Expand on this and I might be able to come op with an answer.

Dave

Hi Dave,

They are pop rivets, which hold the speaker on.

carful drilling with a controllable drill and a drill diameter JUST
larger than the rivet body.

Are these rivets? SoundMate UK diy 20 August 25th 09 10:17 PM
Aluminum and pop rivets cavelamb himself[_4_] Metalworking 0 October 27th 07 01:54 AM
Drilling out pop rivets Doki UK diy 50 August 23rd 07 04:53 PM
METRIC Rivets Fuhh Metalworking 2 October 23rd 05 08:29 AM
METRIC Rivets Roger Metalworking 0 October 23rd 05 04:26 AM