Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Jigsaws ... Now there's a result then !

A while ago, I had a cry on here about how incredibly ****-poor the
performance was, of the expensive Black and Decker jigsaw that I bought to
replace my cheap as chips B&D that I had had for years. The new one couldn't
be made to cut a straight line in anything tougher than cardboard, if your
life depended on it. In the couple of years that I have had it, it has
caused me to bodge more jobs than I have in the rest of my entire (quite
long so far) life.

A few months back, my daughter bought her husband a Bosch jigsaw, and I have
hated him for owning it ever since ! On the couple of occasions that I've
had cause to use it, I have bleated loudly about how rubbish my B&D is in
comparison.

Well, today, it was apparently father's day. I had completely forgotten
this, so imagine my delight, when in came number one daughter, with a shiny
new Bosch jigsaw in her hand just for little old me ! What a result. I even
had cause to use it on today's job, and what a pleasure it is to handle. It
cut through the wood in a dead straight line - and I haven't even tried out
the laser guide on it yet - and was totally effortless to control. Deep joy,
as Stanley Unwin used to say. I know it's sad getting worked up about a
power tool, but I do so unashamedly. Bosch tools it is for me, from now on
:-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

I know it's sad getting worked up about a
power tool, but I do so unashamedly.

No, it is not sad.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Well, today, it was apparently father's day. I had completely forgotten
this, so imagine my delight, when in came number one daughter, with a
shiny new Bosch jigsaw in her hand just for little old me ! What a
result.

All right for some... I got a pair of Union Jack boxer shorts, size XL
(and I'm size M or maybe L)
:-(

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:55:21 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Well, I hope to have the same pleasure on Tuesday! Got p'd off with the
Powercraft jigsaw (it needs a guide dog) wandering around and cutting
random slopes, so ordered a Makita 720W from Axminster (£12 cheaper than
TS) as it gets good reviews.
With a loft to board out I just want something that works!

The Makit's he

http://www.axminster.co.uk/pricing/I...saw-656297.htm
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:

Well, today, it was apparently father's day. I had completely
forgotten this, so imagine my delight, when in came number one
daughter, with a shiny new Bosch jigsaw in her hand just for little
old me ! What a result.

All right for some... I got a pair of Union Jack boxer shorts, size XL
(and I'm size M or maybe L)
:-(

David

I got a Round Tuit mug so I don't have that excuse any more

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article HRqTn.40229$OF3.7996@hurricane, Arfa Daily
scribeth thus
[...]

Now you could advise all 'n sundry hereon about buying good quality
tools and what so they do?, buy a cheapie from Lidl or Adil or whatever
the pile 'em high floghouse is called this week and they never get to
have a good experience like your now having)...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
[...]

Its a jigsaw Jim, but not as we know it. You are in for a major treat :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Now you could advise all 'n sundry hereon about buying good quality
tools and what so they do?, buy a cheapie from Lidl or Adil or whatever
the pile 'em high floghouse is called this week and they never get to
have a good experience like your now having)...

He could always buy the correct power tool for the job..
jigsaws aren't for cutting straight lines..
that's what a circular saw is for.
I would never use my jigsaw for cutting straight stuff its just way too
slow.
If you haven't used a circular saw for straight cuts you just don't know
what you are missing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Well, today, it was apparently father's day. I had completely forgotten
this, so imagine my delight, when in came number one daughter, with a
shiny new Bosch jigsaw in her hand just for little old me !

I got two cards and a box of chocs. Nice chocs, but even so...

Must've done something wrong somewhere...

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2010 20:10, dennis@home wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Now you could advise all 'n sundry hereon about buying good quality
tools and what so they do?, buy a cheapie from Lidl or Adil or whatever
the pile 'em high floghouse is called this week and they never get to
have a good experience like your now having)...

He could always buy the correct power tool for the job..
jigsaws aren't for cutting straight lines..
that's what a circular saw is for.
I would never use my jigsaw for cutting straight stuff its just way too
slow.
If you haven't used a circular saw for straight cuts you just don't know
what you are missing.

So what about cutting a rectangular aperture for a hob or inset sink?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2010 21:07, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

So what about cutting a rectangular aperture for a hob or inset sink?

Angle grinder.

I'm disappointed.

The d-i-y group mention of the 'plasma cutter' or 'thermal lance' has
been sorely lacking over the last year or so. This year, the 2010
recommended tool of choice, the 'pressure washer' also doesn't even get
a look in with this particular situation - unless somehow seriously
upgraded to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_jet_cutter

Voting will be soon be open for the 2011 tool of choice. C'mon chaps.
It's going to be the lowly 'jigsaw' or 'hacksaw' unless some forthright
action is taken. :-(

Pst.... /plasma cutter/, get *that* in your Xmas list :-) ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_cutting

"However, modern plasma torches are becoming cheaper, and now are within
the price range of many hobbyists"

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

All right for some... I got a pair of Union Jack boxer shorts, size XL
(and I'm size M or maybe L)
:-(

"You'll grow into them."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 20, 9:31*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

All right for some... I got a pair of Union Jack boxer shorts, size XL
(and I'm size M or maybe L)
:-(

"You'll grow into them."

Jacket potato with tuna mayonnaise. Just the job after footie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:55:40 +0100, Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot
wrote:

I got two cards and a box of chocs. Nice chocs, but even so...

One card, hand drawn by No.1 Daughter. Also chocs, a chocolate tool
set; saw, hammer, spanner & screw driver.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Well, today, it was apparently father's day. I had completely forgotten
this, so imagine my delight, when in came number one daughter, with a
shiny new Bosch jigsaw in her hand just for little old me !

I got two cards and a box of chocs. Nice chocs, but even so...

Must've done something wrong somewhere...

A card would do, still waiting, bloody kids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Now you could advise all 'n sundry hereon about buying good quality
tools and what so they do?, buy a cheapie from Lidl or Adil or whatever
the pile 'em high floghouse is called this week and they never get to
have a good experience like your now having)...

He could always buy the correct power tool for the job..
jigsaws aren't for cutting straight lines..
that's what a circular saw is for.
I would never use my jigsaw for cutting straight stuff its just way too
slow.
If you haven't used a circular saw for straight cuts you just don't know
what you are missing.

So what about cutting a rectangular aperture for a hob or inset sink?

Circ saw + about a minute with a hand saw..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:24:23 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Well, I hope to have the same pleasure on Tuesday! Got p'd off with
the Powercraft jigsaw (it needs a guide dog) wandering around and
cutting random slopes, so ordered a Makita 720W from Axminster (£12
cheaper than TS) as it gets good reviews.

Its a jigsaw Jim, but not as we know it. You are in for a major treat :-)

:-)) I've stopped work on the loft until the new jigsaw arrives, so that I
can have fun!
The cheapo was OK for quick jobs where just a rough cut was needed, but a
handsaw is much better!
Circular saw next, methinks.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Now you could advise all 'n sundry hereon about buying good quality
tools and what so they do?, buy a cheapie from Lidl or Adil or whatever
the pile 'em high floghouse is called this week and they never get to
have a good experience like your now having)...
--
Tony Sayer

I have to totally disagree with you, and I have seen mention of a
number of other people who would do so too. Unfortunately I can't
remember if my jigsaw is Lidl or Aldi, but it is a dream to use -
powerful, solid, accurate, etc, etc; might have been as much as
£19.99. It is a always a great experience to use and having suffered
the B & D blues and been totally put off using jigsaws, I now look
forward to finding reason to use it.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 20, 8:10*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:

He could always buy the correct power tool for the job..
jigsaws aren't for cutting straight lines..

That, Dennis, is because yours came from Poundland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 20, 9:24*pm, Adrian C wrote:

The d-i-y group mention of the 'plasma cutter' or 'thermal lance' has
been sorely lacking over the last year or so. This year, the 2010
recommended tool of choice, the 'pressure washer' also doesn't even get
a look in with this particular situation - unless somehow seriously
upgraded tohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_jet_cutter

Why would I need either a plasma cutter or a water jet cutter?

They're expensive, and I've got friends with both of them 8-)

Toy of choice these days is one of the several CNC mills between us.
I'd have a Cupcake 3D printer too, if only they'd get their finger out
and ship it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Now you could advise all 'n sundry hereon about buying good quality
tools and what so they do?, buy a cheapie from Lidl or Adil or
whatever the pile 'em high floghouse is called this week and they
never get to have a good experience like your now having)...

He could always buy the correct power tool for the job..
jigsaws aren't for cutting straight lines..
that's what a circular saw is for.
I would never use my jigsaw for cutting straight stuff its just way
too slow.

Then you don't have a decent jigsaw. With the right blade the Makita is
almost as fast.

If you haven't used a circular saw for straight cuts you just don't
know what you are missing.

I'd agree in general, but for things like rectangular cutouts the decent
jigsaw is the tool.

Jobs like boarding lofts or laminate floor you will need to make mostly
straight cuts but also cut outs & curves - jigsaw will do the lot
efficiently.

So what about cutting a rectangular aperture for a hob or inset sink?

Circ saw + about a minute with a hand saw..

Time you have done that & buggered about a decent jigsaw would have the job
done.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Jun 20, 8:10 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:

He could always buy the correct power tool for the job..
jigsaws aren't for cutting straight lines..

That, Dennis, is because yours came from Poundland

Unlikely, I don't have one and have never needed one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jobs like boarding lofts or laminate floor you will need to make mostly
straight cuts but also cut outs & curves - jigsaw will do the lot
efficiently.

and without spewing the sawdust all over the room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:24:23 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Well, I hope to have the same pleasure on Tuesday! Got p'd off with
the Powercraft jigsaw (it needs a guide dog) wandering around and
cutting random slopes, so ordered a Makita 720W from Axminster (£12
cheaper than TS) as it gets good reviews.

Its a jigsaw Jim, but not as we know it. You are in for a major treat
:-)

:-)) I've stopped work on the loft until the new jigsaw arrives, so that
can have fun!
The cheapo was OK for quick jobs where just a rough cut was needed, but a
handsaw is much better!
Circular saw next, methinks.
--
Peter.

Interestingly, although I have absolutely nothing good to say about my B&D
jigsaw, my B&D 1200 watt circular saw is an excellent performer, and does
exactly what it says on the can. Funny how they can make one tool that's
very good for the money, and another that is expensive junk !

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Now you could advise all 'n sundry hereon about buying good quality
tools and what so they do?, buy a cheapie from Lidl or Adil or whatever
the pile 'em high floghouse is called this week and they never get to
have a good experience like your now having)...

He could always buy the correct power tool for the job..
jigsaws aren't for cutting straight lines..
that's what a circular saw is for.
I would never use my jigsaw for cutting straight stuff its just way too
slow.
If you haven't used a circular saw for straight cuts you just don't know
what you are missing.

Neither is a jigsaw for cutting a wavy wandering line, no matter what shape
that line is.

I of course use a circular saw for straight cuts where appropriate, but try
cutting the straight bits of a sink cutout in a worktop with a circular saw

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Now you could advise all 'n sundry hereon about buying good quality
tools and what so they do?, buy a cheapie from Lidl or Adil or whatever
the pile 'em high floghouse is called this week and they never get to
have a good experience like your now having)...

He could always buy the correct power tool for the job..
jigsaws aren't for cutting straight lines..

You have obviously never used a proper one. They can cut straight lines
just fine.

I know they can, even the cheap ones if you fit a better blade, they are
slow and noisy and don't collect the dust well.

that's what a circular saw is for.
I would never use my jigsaw for cutting straight stuff its just way too
slow.

A decent pendulum action one will lop then end of a 8x2" in 5 seconds.

Don't exaggerate, my CSMS will do it quicker but no reciprocating saw is
going to be that quick.

If you haven't used a circular saw for straight cuts you just don't know
what you are missing.

CS is fine and worth having, however some jobs are easier with the
smaller, lighter, jigsaw which can safely be used in one hand.

As long as you remember not to put the other hand in the wrong place.
A circular saw held properly is safer for the operator.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

I of course use a circular saw for straight cuts where appropriate, but
try cutting the straight bits of a sink cutout in a worktop with a
circular saw

I do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 01:18:46 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

Agree completely. B&D have always been very variable. I have a D4
router that is wonderful - they were made in the 1970's I think, I
inherited this one, and it is my most used hand power tool after the
Makita palm sander. But I long ago sent the B&D jigglysaw to the tip,
the only good thing you could say about it was that the blade went
vaguely up and down a lot.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 June, 23:50, "dennis@home"
wrote:

He could always buy the correct power tool for the job..
jigsaws aren't for cutting straight lines..

That, Dennis, is because yours came from Poundland

Unlikely, I don't have one and have never needed one.

So you don't even have one, but you'll gob off about how useless they
are.

Classic Dennis...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, very well put

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 June, 07:56, "dennis@home"
wrote:

You have obviously never used a proper one. They can cut straight lines
just fine.

I know they can, even the cheap ones if you fit a better blade, they are
slow and noisy and don't collect the dust well.

******** Dennis. No matter what blade you fit, you'll not fix a cheap
jigsaw with a case of the shakes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

I of course use a circular saw for straight cuts where appropriate, but
try cutting the straight bits of a sink cutout in a worktop with a
circular saw

I do.

Well now, there's a surprise ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 June, 01:22, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

I of course use a circular saw for straight cuts where appropriate, but try
cutting the straight bits of a sink cutout in a worktop with a circular saw

Festo plunge saw will almost do it, but the price of that makes a good
jigsaw look cheap.

Come to think of it, there's not much price difference between my mid-
size circular saw (Makita 190mm) and my good jigsaw (Bosch 135).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 June, 07:59, "dennis@home"
wrote:

I of course use a circular saw for straight cuts where appropriate, but
try cutting the straight bits of a sink cutout in a worktop with a
circular saw

I do.

********, Dennis. No-one except a halfwit fits a second worktop sink
without first acquiring a jigsaw.

Which doesn't actually invalidate your claim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
..com, robgraham scribeth thus

Now you could advise all 'n sundry hereon about buying good quality
tools and what so they do?, buy a cheapie from Lidl or Adil or whatever
the pile 'em high floghouse is called this week and they never get to
have a good experience like your now having)...
--
Tony Sayer

I have to totally disagree with you, and I have seen mention of a
number of other people who would do so too. Unfortunately I can't
remember if my jigsaw is Lidl or Aldi, but it is a dream to use -
powerful, solid, accurate, etc, etc; might have been as much as
£19.99. It is a always a great experience to use and having suffered
the B & D blues and been totally put off using jigsaws, I now look
forward to finding reason to use it.

Rob

Lucky you then .. so what make is this?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 June, 10:06, tony sayer wrote:
[...]

Parkside, which means it's Aldis. For a start it 4kg against the B &
D (KS656) at 3kg, it's 700w against 450 and the whole frame is
cast.

Nice tool - trouble is that it's now a couple of years old and there's
no guarantee that Aldi's next offering will be the same. But that's
the gamble element of buying there, but the price is usually
sufficiently low that for the couple of perhaps not-so-good buys,
you'll get one excellent one.

I did a house rebuild with the tools of the '70's. How much easier it
would have been today and it would have been interesting whether
'professional' grade tools would have really been necessary.
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:05:48 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 21/06/2010 10:40, John Rumm wrote:

I would never use my jigsaw for cutting straight stuff its just way too
slow.

A decent pendulum action one will lop then end of a 8x2" in 5 seconds.

Don't exaggerate, my CSMS will do it quicker but no reciprocating saw is
going to be that quick.

No exaggeration required. An aggressive blade a full pendulum action
will rip through cross cuts on softwood at a surprising rate.

(apologies for replying to my own post)

For anyone who needs to see to believe, watch the last 10 secs of this
video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBrXq_BcDLs

A decent jig saw cutting 50mm worktop style laminated chipboard (which
is a good deal slower and harder to cut than softwood). If you listen to
the motor load for timing cues, it takes about 10 secs from the start of
cut to the end, and the cut length is probably about 8". You will also
note that the cut edge is square.

That's the model I've ordered :-) By 'eck, it's quiet and smooth and fast
cf the Powercraft!
If the delivery is early enough tomorrow I can get a lot done. The main
regular bits are in so just the interesting cuts to do.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

He could always buy the correct power tool for the job..
jigsaws aren't for cutting straight lines..

That, Dennis, is because yours came from Poundland

Unlikely, I don't have one and have never needed one.

So you don't even have one, but you'll gob off about how useless they
are.

I didn't say I hadn't used one.
They are useless.
Nearly everything can be done more easily with something else.

Classic Dennis...

Classic andy assumes that because someone doesn't own a piece of sh!t like a
jigsaw they haven't used one.
I gave mine away ages ago when I couldn't find anything I wanted to use it
for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 21/06/2010 07:56, dennis@home wrote:

o.uk...

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Now you could advise all 'n sundry hereon about buying good quality
tools and what so they do?, buy a cheapie from Lidl or Adil or
whatever
the pile 'em high floghouse is called this week and they never get to
have a good experience like your now having)...

He could always buy the correct power tool for the job..
jigsaws aren't for cutting straight lines..

You have obviously never used a proper one. They can cut straight
lines just fine.

I know they can, even the cheap ones if you fit a better blade, they are
slow and noisy and don't collect the dust well.

A better blade will not fix a crap jigsaw. Good jigsaws are also fast and
smooth and far less noisy than a circular saw.

I don't think it will fix a "good" jigsaw either, cutting straight isn't
fixed.

Lets face it.. a jigsaw is just a powered pad saw and doesn't cut any
better, just with less exercise.

that's what a circular saw is for.
I would never use my jigsaw for cutting straight stuff its just way too
slow.

A decent pendulum action one will lop then end of a 8x2" in 5 seconds.

Don't exaggerate, my CSMS will do it quicker but no reciprocating saw is
going to be that quick.

No exaggeration required. An aggressive blade a full pendulum action will
rip through cross cuts on softwood at a surprising rate.

A surprisingly exaggerated rate.
IME jigsaws don't cut much faster than a hand saw and that takes about 35
seconds to cut 8x2.

If you haven't used a circular saw for straight cuts you just don't
know
what you are missing.

CS is fine and worth having, however some jobs are easier with the
smaller, lighter, jigsaw which can safely be used in one hand.

As long as you remember not to put the other hand in the wrong place.
A circular saw held properly is safer for the operator.

Held properly means with both hands (on a 7" saw) - that does not leave
one free for holding the work. Hence why the jigsaw is better in some
circumstances.

I have yet to find a job you couldn't clamp rather than hand hold.

cheap jigsaws [email protected] UK diy 22 April 20th 09 11:44 PM
Jigsaws Rob Woodworking 50 February 29th 08 12:05 AM
Quality Jigsaws The Medway Handyman UK diy 39 October 10th 06 02:50 AM
bosch jigsaws mark Woodworking 8 February 27th 06 06:20 PM
Jigsaws for moderate use... Squanklin Woodworking 11 December 16th 04 06:54 PM