Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.rec.photo.misc,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Default Rechargable batteries and information

In message , Mr. Benn
writes
"OG" wrote in message

"john hamiliton" wrote in message
My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
tomorrow.

Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at
four for £10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary
rechargable' AAA 850 mAh at £5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at £14.99,
which seems a big jump in proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )

In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any
extra advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of
Argos?

Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
Thanks.

Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide
a slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in
voltage that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that
a 850mAh hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary
one, at least that's what I've found with my digital camera.

Hybrids have slightly less capacity than regular NiMH batteries but
lower self-discharge rate and hence longer shelf life. For a DAB radio
that's not used infrequently, I'd be inclined to use regular cells.

Are 'modern' DAB radios designed to work with the lower voltage you get
from NiMH (1.2V compared with 1.5V for non-rechargeable)? I've not tried
it lately, but I recall that my DAB radio (my ONLY DAB radio) doesn't
last long on rechargeables - maybe only an hour or two. After that, it
will keep going for some time on FM.
--
Ian