Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Depth of pilot holes

Should a pilot hole be equal to the length of the screw, or less?
--
I can't go on, I'll go on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Frederick Williams
saying something like:

Should a pilot hole be equal to the length of the screw, or less?

I'd normally put them about half the depth, but depends on the screw
size and material.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 June, 17:46, Frederick Williams
wrote:
Should a pilot hole be equal to the length of the screw, or less?
--
I can't go on, I'll go on.

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over the issue with
softwoods. These modern thin shank screws go in anyway and rarely
split the wood.
You need to be a bit more careful with hardwoods. But still not hyper
critical. There's all sorts of fancy shanks and heads and "teeth",
All ******** in my experience. But thin shanks screws are wonderful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"
But thin shanks screws are wonderful.

Except in wallplugs where the taper of a traditional screw expands the plug
rather than just allowing a thread to be cut in it. IMHO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 6:34*pm, "John" wrote:
"
* But thin shanks screws are wonderful.

Except in wallplugs where the taper of a traditional screw expands the plug
rather than just allowing a thread to be cut in it. IMHO

I think they are designed for use with a different type of screw
driver too. Either that or they are using the sort of steel that would
be binned for recycling in a modern hi tech society. Remember those
scissors that were so ubiquitous a decade or so back? Made from old
railway lines.

Mild steel - almost pure iron.

There are two types of predrilling.
1. A pilot hole designed to stop the wood spitting and
2. The recess hole to get a short screw into the second layer or to
drop it below the surface.

You need a pilot in mdf whatever you may think or use.
These modern screws are ideal for use in modern materials and **** to
use in modern screwdrivers.
Even with a pilot hole the slot will burr over.

A pilot hole can be any depth as long as it is narrow enough to allow
the screw to grip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Jun 13, 6:34 pm, "John" wrote:
"
But thin shanks screws are wonderful.

Except in wallplugs where the taper of a traditional screw expands
the plug rather than just allowing a thread to be cut in it. IMHO

Agreed. I carry Turbogold & Quicksilver on the van. Quicksilver for plugs,
Turbogold for timber.

There are two types of predrilling.
1. A pilot hole designed to stop the wood spitting and
2. The recess hole to get a short screw into the second layer or to
drop it below the surface.

You need a pilot in mdf whatever you may think or use.

Turbogold will go straight in no problem.

These modern screws are ideal for use in modern materials and **** to
use in modern screwdrivers.

Turbogold are designed for drill drivers.

Even with a pilot hole the slot will burr over.

'Slot'? What slot? Pozidrive is the way forward.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk