Bigshow

Default Pilot/Trial holes

I am thinking of having a second storey extension built on top of an
existing extension. The problem I have is that I don't know what the
foundations are like on the existing foundation to see if they will support
a second storey.

The local Building Control department have told me get a Trial/Pilot hole
dug and they will come out and inspect the foundations.

I have been told the make sure the hole is on one of the corners of the
existing extension so that both sides of the foundations are exposed and
visible.

As I have never done this before, can anyone suggest the best way to this,
what to do and what to avoid, any pitfalls to look out for. Do I need to be
a set distance away from the walls?

I assume (on the basis the ground id sodt enough) a spade and the likes will
do, i.e. no drill/diggers required

Any comments appreciated

mrcheerful

"Bigshow" wrote in message
[...]

Basically you need to dig down next to the walls at a corner so that the
side of the foundations can be seen, this may well involve a metre deep pit.
If you dig this with a spade the hole will be eneornous, get a post hole
spade, one with two handles that can lift the spoil out of the hole, dig the
first foot deep with a conventional small spade then change to the the post
hole tool. This also saves your back to some extent.

Rick Dipper

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:21:34 +0000 (UTC), "Bigshow"
wrote:

[...]

You need to be able to see the foundation, so right next to the wall.
Its just hard work, if you have really deep foundations its lots of
hard work.

Rick
Bigshow

news
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies, fortunately managed to find myself a builder who was
prepared to the digging, for what he was charging it didn't seem worth the
effort.

Inspectors been out and is happy with the foundations (1100mm total)

Result all round

Cheers

Filling holes in wood Stuart UK diy 3 April 13th 04 09:29 AM
Position of holes in Ikea drawer fronts David Micklem UK diy 3 March 3rd 04 06:55 PM
filling iregular holes Zipadee Doodar UK diy 5 October 13th 03 06:40 PM
Holes John UK diy 8 August 4th 03 12:01 AM
Welding holes in a chaincase - advice wanted [email protected] UK diy 5 July 15th 03 09:25 AM