Rick Dipper

Default Pilot/Trial holes

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:21:34 +0000 (UTC), "Bigshow"
wrote:

I am thinking of having a second storey extension built on top of an
existing extension. The problem I have is that I don't know what the
foundations are like on the existing foundation to see if they will support
a second storey.

The local Building Control department have told me get a Trial/Pilot hole
dug and they will come out and inspect the foundations.

I have been told the make sure the hole is on one of the corners of the
existing extension so that both sides of the foundations are exposed and
visible.

As I have never done this before, can anyone suggest the best way to this,
what to do and what to avoid, any pitfalls to look out for. Do I need to be
a set distance away from the walls?

I assume (on the basis the ground id sodt enough) a spade and the likes will
do, i.e. no drill/diggers required

Any comments appreciated

You need to be able to see the foundation, so right next to the wall.
Its just hard work, if you have really deep foundations its lots of
hard work.

Rick