Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stinky bin

Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only
contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that
the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus. Having now been in a
black wheelie bin for two weeks, much of it in the sun (and another
week to go before collection), there's a terrible pong coming from
the bin, even though the lid fits quite tightly. Seems to be drawing
all the flies from a 5 mile radius too. Any suggestions for something
I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench the stink? The chicken
is now burried at the bottom, but an army of thousands of maggots
has made its way to the top, so I'm not going to empty it out to
retrieve the carcus.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only
contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that
the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus. Having now been in a
black wheelie bin for two weeks, much of it in the sun (and another
week to go before collection), there's a terrible pong coming from
the bin, even though the lid fits quite tightly. Seems to be drawing
all the flies from a 5 mile radius too. Any suggestions for something
I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench the stink? The chicken
is now burried at the bottom, but an army of thousands of maggots
has made its way to the top, so I'm not going to empty it out to
retrieve the carcus.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Half a can of fly & wasp killer spray.

Best of luck

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 12, 9:27*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only
contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that
the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus. Having now been in a
black wheelie bin for two weeks, much of it in the sun (and another
week to go before collection), there's a terrible pong coming from
the bin, even though the lid fits quite tightly. Seems to be drawing
all the flies from a 5 mile radius too. Any suggestions for something
I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench the stink? The chicken
is now burried at the bottom, but an army of thousands of maggots
has made its way to the top, so I'm not going to empty it out to
retrieve the carcus.

bleach would make chlorine gas in the closed bin, sounds good

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only
contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that
the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus.

bleach would make chlorine gas in the closed bin, sounds good

Reminds me of when I was at uni. We (6 of us) were in a house that obviously
used to be flats, as it had two separate electricity meters. Towards the end
of term, we moved the fridge upstairs, so that we only had to keep one meter
going. I was last to move out, and, as I tended to live from day to day, on
instant mash and blocks of cheddar from Aldi (and beer and cheap cider), had
the unfortunate encounter of discovering what one of my housemates had done
with his burgers that had gone out of date, when I finally went back into
the room with the fridge. The plonker had just 'discarded' them onto a
table. The stench in the room was disgusting, there were flies buzzing
around the room, and there were maggots crawling all over the table. Not
sure how I avoided puking - I just legged it downstairs - got a bottle of
bleach, and poured it over the whole sorry mess. Closed the door, and fled
the house!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:27:03 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only
contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that
the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus.

What a waste. Why was there enough meat left on it for there to be a
problem anyway? Just taken a couple of slices of each breast and
chucked the rest? The carcus should have been cleaned of most meat,
for sarnies, snacks, pies, then popped in a pan with a few root
veggies and water to be turned into chicken stock. About all you
should be chucking in the bin is bones and gristle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Half a can of fly & wasp killer spray.

Seconded. It works. Probably won't need more than a small spray or two and
it's certainly better than chucking gallons of whatever liquid in there.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:27:03 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only
contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that
the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus.

The carcus should have been cleaned of most meat,
for sarnies, snacks, pies, then popped in a pan with a few root
veggies and water to be turned into chicken stock.

Or some Jewish Penicillin. :-)

One trick can be to leave the carcass in the open for a night or two. It
will either be cleaned, or will disappear altogether, courtesy of local
cats, foxes, and some birds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only
contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that
the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus. Having now been in a
black wheelie bin for two weeks, much of it in the sun (and another
week to go before collection), there's a terrible pong coming from
the bin, even though the lid fits quite tightly. Seems to be drawing
all the flies from a 5 mile radius too. Any suggestions for something
I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench the stink? The chicken
is now burried at the bottom, but an army of thousands of maggots
has made its way to the top, so I'm not going to empty it out to
retrieve the carcus.

Fill it with enough water to cover the stuff at the bottom and a bottle of
dettol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 09:04:19 +0100, John Whitworth wrote:

One trick can be to leave the carcass in the open for a night or two. It
will either be cleaned, or will disappear altogether, courtesy of local
cats, foxes, and some birds.

When I was typing my strip and make into stock post I was trying to
remember what happened to thebones from joints and carcases etc when
I was a lad, I suspect they just went out for the birds, everything
would vanish. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 09:00:57 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Half a can of fly & wasp killer spray.

Seconded. It works. Probably won't need more than a small spray or two and
it's certainly better than chucking gallons of whatever liquid in there.

But it doesn't answer the OP's question! Perhaps you should refer to
the question before you congratulate someone on a superb answer to a
question that the OP did not ask.

For the avoidance of doubt, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Any suggestions for something I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench the stink?

Fly and wasp killer spray won't do anything to reduce the smell. Most
of them smell horrible themselves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only
contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that
the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus. Having now been in a
black wheelie bin for two weeks, much of it in the sun (and another
week to go before collection), there's a terrible pong coming from
the bin, even though the lid fits quite tightly. Seems to be drawing
all the flies from a 5 mile radius too. Any suggestions for something
I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench the stink? The chicken
is now burried at the bottom, but an army of thousands of maggots
has made its way to the top, so I'm not going to empty it out to
retrieve the carcus.

bleach would make chlorine gas in the closed bin, sounds good

Bleach & hydrochloric based toilet descaler (one that worns not to mix with
bleach)

As NT said, chlorine gas - no flies, maggots or bacteria.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bruce
scribeth thus
wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Half a can of fly & wasp killer spray.

Seconded. It works. Probably won't need more than a small spray or two and
it's certainly better than chucking gallons of whatever liquid in there.

But it doesn't answer the OP's question! Perhaps you should refer to
the question before you congratulate someone on a superb answer to a
question that the OP did not ask.

For the avoidance of doubt, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Any suggestions for something I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench the

stink?

Fly and wasp killer spray won't do anything to reduce the smell. Most
of them smell horrible themselves.

Couldn't he just dig a hole in the garden and tip to lot in that?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Half a can of fly & wasp killer spray.

Seconded. It works. Probably won't need more than a small spray or two and
it's certainly better than chucking gallons of whatever liquid in there.

But it doesn't answer the OP's question! Perhaps you should refer to
the question before you congratulate someone on a superb answer to a
question that the OP did not ask.

For the avoidance of doubt, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Any suggestions for something I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench
the stink?

Fly and wasp killer spray won't do anything to reduce the smell. Most
of them smell horrible themselves.

The can of RAID fly spray in my kitchen cupboard is scented.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 12, 3:27*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only
contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that
the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus. Having now been in a
black wheelie bin for two weeks, much of it in the sun (and another
week to go before collection), there's a terrible pong coming from
the bin, even though the lid fits quite tightly. Seems to be drawing
all the flies from a 5 mile radius too. Any suggestions for something
I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench the stink? The chicken
is now burried at the bottom, but an army of thousands of maggots
has made its way to the top, so I'm not going to empty it out to
retrieve the carcus.

--
Andrew Gabriel

A gallon of bleach and a gallon of amonia will kill anything with
chlorine gas, just bleach will do the trick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:27:03 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only
contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that
the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus.

What a waste. Why was there enough meat left on it for there to be a
problem anyway? Just taken a couple of slices of each breast and
chucked the rest? The carcus should have been cleaned of most meat,
for sarnies, snacks, pies, then popped in a pan with a few root
veggies and water to be turned into chicken stock. About all you
should be chucking in the bin is bones and gristle.

Yep, that's what I do, the stock then gets frozen in a container, ready for
the next soup / caserole / curry I decide to build, - it's surprising how
much meat is actually left on a clean carcass, and of course, if simmered
long enough, most of the gristle actually melts into the stock, making it
sticky and rich.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:35:59 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
.. .
wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Half a can of fly & wasp killer spray.

Seconded. It works. Probably won't need more than a small spray or two and
it's certainly better than chucking gallons of whatever liquid in there.

But it doesn't answer the OP's question! Perhaps you should refer to
the question before you congratulate someone on a superb answer to a
question that the OP did not ask.

For the avoidance of doubt, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Any suggestions for something I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench
the stink?

Fly and wasp killer spray won't do anything to reduce the smell. Most
of them smell horrible themselves.

The can of RAID fly spray in my kitchen cupboard is scented.

But they all smell *disgusting*. Adding one disgusting smell to
another achieves nothing in terms of getting rid of the original
smell, which is what Andrew was asking about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:25:59 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 09:04:19 +0100, John Whitworth wrote:

One trick can be to leave the carcass in the open for a night or two. It
will either be cleaned, or will disappear altogether, courtesy of local
cats, foxes, and some birds.

When I was typing my strip and make into stock post I was trying to
remember what happened to thebones from joints and carcases etc when
I was a lad, I suspect they just went out for the birds, everything
would vanish. B-)

The blackbirds love it if they can beat the magpies to it.
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Whitworth" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:27:03 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only
contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that
the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus.

The carcus should have been cleaned of most meat,
for sarnies, snacks, pies, then popped in a pan with a few root
veggies and water to be turned into chicken stock.

Or some Jewish Penicillin. :-)

One trick can be to leave the carcass in the open for a night or two. It
will either be cleaned, or will disappear altogether, courtesy of local
cats, foxes, and some birds.

Just what I was thinking. At this time of the year the nesting birds like
robins will makes short work of any maggots they find in the open. And it
is astonishing how they find them: I had some grass seed in a cardboard pack
that had been sealed for a number of years. When I opened it some moths
flew out, and when I tipped the contents on to the lawn, robins appeared and
kept back and forth picking out all the maggots, which I could scarcely
distinguish from the seeds. Very sharp eyes they have.

Also use this method with sardine tins - having made sure to buy in brine
not oil: let the cats lick the tin out to save on smelly sink or bin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I have a covered bin for kitchen waste, as a sort of half way house to the
compost bin (in a warmer spot and less far to walk). In the warmer months
this gets packed with fruit flies. When they get to be a nuisance, as a
home wine maker I have metabisulphite and citric acid to hand: a small jar
with dissolved citric acid is placed in the middle of the top of the bin,
and the half a teaspoon of metabisulphite added quickly, before putting the
lid down firmly (*Essential to hold one's breath.*). The sulphur dioxide
produced kills all the hatched out grubs, and can be repeated a few days
later to get most of the rest. Won't get rid of the smell though: though
actually this bin - in a largely veggie household - does not often smell
that bad: from the outside at least!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spamlet wrote:

Also use this method with sardine tins - having made sure to buy in brine
not oil: let the cats lick the tin out to save on smelly sink or bin.

Is there a danger that the pussy cats will cut their tongue?

--
I can't go on, I'll go on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Half a can of fly & wasp killer spray.

Seconded. It works. Probably won't need more than a small spray or two and
it's certainly better than chucking gallons of whatever liquid in there.

But it doesn't answer the OP's question! Perhaps you should refer to
the question before you congratulate someone on a superb answer to a
question that the OP did not ask.

Shrug It kills flies and maggots and is scented, and doesn't fill the bin
with stinking liquid. My bin's had raw fish skeletons and heads in it for
over a week and I've not noticed a manky smell.

I wasn't congratulating either, you patronising ****flap, I was agreeing.

For the avoidance of doubt, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

For the further avoidance of doubt, **** you, you
argumentative-for-no-good-reason spunkbubble. I bet you're short and wear
glasses.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:35:59 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
. ..
wrote:

[...]

That would be Fabreze. You miserable git:-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-06-12, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

retrieve the carcus.

Carcass.

You're welcome.

I beat you to it in my post @9.04am. But I didn't make a song & dance about
it. :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:12:25 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

For the further avoidance of doubt, **** you, you
argumentative-for-no-good-reason spunkbubble.

Oh go on then, I'll put you in my kill file.

You have surely earned it. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) writes:
Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only
contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that
the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus. Having now been in a
black wheelie bin for two weeks, much of it in the sun (and another
week to go before collection), there's a terrible pong coming from
the bin, even though the lid fits quite tightly. Seems to be drawing
all the flies from a 5 mile radius too. Any suggestions for something
I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench the stink? The chicken
is now burried at the bottom, but an army of thousands of maggots
has made its way to the top, so I'm not going to empty it out to
retrieve the carcus.

Well, the stink has died down now, although still strong if you
open the bin. I did balance an aluminium foil tray of bleach on
top of the rubbish in the bin, but it didn't bother the maggots,
and several seemed to swim in it without coming to harm.

However, what happened last night was quite remarkable. I went
outside at midnight to find everything within a 2-3 metre radius
of the wheelie bin covered in maggots. They were squeezing their
way out from under the lid, working their way down the outside
(and simply falling off in many cases) and then radiating outwards
from the bin. Things they encountered en route such as the other
wheelie bin, a bag of hedge cuttings, and an old telly waiting to
go up to the tip were all covered too. I didn't open the bin to
look inside - there wasn't anywhere I could grab hold of the lid!
This vaguely reminded me of an old Dr.Who series from my childhood.

Anyway, this morning, not a maggot in sight, except for some which
drowned in the puddles last night. I looked in the wheelie bin,
and none to be seen in there either. I guess they finished off
the chicken and have gone off to become flies...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

For the further avoidance of doubt, **** you, you
argumentative-for-no-good-reason spunkbubble.

Oh go on then, I'll put you in my kill file.

You have surely earned it. ;-)

People who maintain killfiles are utter ****s. It's a shame you'll miss
this.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Silly man!, what you should have done is wheeled it out in the street
with a big sign saying

!!! ANGLERS STOCK UP HERE FOR FREE !!!...

They'd soon had the maggots away doing something more useful with
them;!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer writes:
[...]

A couple of blackbird families seems to have found them, judging
by the fact they've been digging up the ground all around the
wheelie bins for the last few hours.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Frederick Williams
saying something like:

spamlet wrote:

Also use this method with sardine tins - having made sure to buy in brine
not oil: let the cats lick the tin out to save on smelly sink or bin.

Is there a danger that the pussy cats will cut their tongue?

Mine never have, nor the dog. The edge of the pull-off remaining in the
tin isn't particularly sharp, ime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) writes:
[...]

They can only climb vertically when the sides are wet, it either rained in
or there was sufficient condensation on the inside of the bin to allow them
to climb out.

Anyway, this morning, not a maggot in sight, except for some which
drowned in the puddles last night. I looked in the wheelie bin,
and none to be seen in there either. I guess they finished off
the chicken and have gone off to become flies...

when anglers buy maggots, they have a mixture of sawdust and ground maize on
them to prevent them climbing. If it rains whilst fishing and they get wet
in the box, every last one of them will disappear within 30 minutes.
Curious things maggots, they sink under normal conditions, but if you want
them to float, you take a handfull and put them in a sealed box for 10
minutes with a splash of water, once they get wet, they take inside them a
bubble of oxygen and when they go into the water, they float....handy for
when the fish are feeding on the surface rather than the bottom.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Stinky clothes Wilfred Xavier Pickles Home Repair 19 August 14th 09 05:58 PM
Stinky kerosene? spaco Metalworking 1 March 19th 08 10:08 PM
Stinky Disposall Bubba Home Repair 15 May 4th 06 12:46 PM
stinky fridge Gary E Home Repair 4 July 17th 03 02:51 AM