Old April 7th 06, 02:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

Default Stinky Disposall

The Disposall (Disposer?) in my kitchen sink has a terminal case of "buzzard
breathe". Running the thing while running hot water through it doesn't help
a whole lot. Any suggestions?

Old April 7th 06, 03:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Bubba wrote:
The Disposall (Disposer?) in my kitchen sink has a terminal case of "buzzard
breathe". Running the thing while running hot water through it doesn't help
a whole lot. Any suggestions?

I like to run it, and put some dishwashing liquid in it. I like to see
it fizz up. Not sure if that cleans it or not but I like to think so.

--
Thank you,

Old April 7th 06, 03:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

soap and bleach cheap fix

disposer deodorant expensive fix, no joke my wife bought that bleach
works better..

Old April 7th 06, 03:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Bubba" wrote in message
The Disposall (Disposer?) in my kitchen sink has a terminal case of
"buzzard breathe". Running the thing while running hot water through it
doesn't help a whole lot. Any suggestions?

I clean mine by dumping a tablespoon or two of Comet or Ajax powder in
there. I turn the thing on with a little water running, to make the insides
wet so the powder will stick. Shut off the water, wait till you hear it all
drain out, then VERY carefully lower a spoon full of powder into the hole
and tap it to release the powder. Shut off the disposal, go have a beer,
wait another 23 or 47 minutes, and rinse it out.

Old April 7th 06, 03:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair
HotRod

TRY a sink full of ice cubes and some cold water, that should help losen
anything down there.

Old April 7th 06, 03:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

Bubba, 4/7/2006, 9:51:07 AM,
wrote:

The Disposall (Disposer?) in my kitchen sink has a terminal case of
"buzzard breathe". Running the thing while running hot water through
it doesn't help a whole lot. Any suggestions?

Drop a lemon or two in there and grind them up with a bit of water.
Let it sit for a while and then run hot water while grinder is churning
away.
Old April 7th 06, 05:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:
The Disposall (Disposer?) in my kitchen sink has a terminal case of "buzzard
breathe". Running the thing while running hot water through it doesn't help
a whole lot. Any suggestions?

Grapefruit rinds work for me.

Jerry

Old April 7th 06, 06:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Mark and Gloria Hagwood

Bubba wrote:
The Disposall (Disposer?) in my kitchen sink has a terminal case of "buzzard
breathe". Running the thing while running hot water through it doesn't help
a whole lot. Any suggestions?

Is it possible that the trap beyond the disposal is emptying
out? Too vigorous a flow from the disposal, coupled with no
vent or a plugged vent might explain the smell. The first
thing I'd do is to pull the trip and make sure that nothing
is obstructing the vent. If it's OK, then run some ice
cubes through the disposal to get rid of any food that might
be caught on the impeller or sides. Finally, dump in a
little Chlorox while running it. Be sure that the
"flippers" or blades inside the disposal are free to swing.

Mark
Old April 7th 06, 10:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 10:26:13 -0700, Mark and Gloria Hagwood
wrote:

Bubba wrote:
The Disposall (Disposer?) in my kitchen sink has a terminal case of "buzzard
breathe". Running the thing while running hot water through it doesn't help
a whole lot. Any suggestions?

Is it possible that the trap beyond the disposal is emptying
out? Too vigorous a flow from the disposal, coupled with no
vent or a plugged vent might explain the smell. The first
thing I'd do is to pull the trip and make sure that nothing
is obstructing the vent.

How would this work? If I take out the whole trap, how will I know if
the vent is good or not?

BTW, it occurs to me, why is there a separate trap for every sink,
tub, shower, and toilet? And usually 2 or more vents per house
because a separate vent is needed for any drain not close to another
drain.

It seems to me all the economizers would want to use one trap and one
vent for the whole house. Does anyone do this, anywhere in the
world?

I can see how this would mean that the drains would have to be cleaner
to keep smells down (since there would be much longer drains between
the sinks and the trap) Is this the only reason they don't do this?
Is that because of toilets, rather than sinks?

Old April 7th 06, 11:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

lemon peels

"Bubba" wrote in message
The Disposall (Disposer?) in my kitchen sink has a terminal case of
"buzzard breathe". Running the thing while running hot water through it
doesn't help a whole lot. Any suggestions?

My GE has a stinky powedery ice problem Shel Home Ownership 5 June 8th 05 08:53 PM
My GE makes stinky / powdery ice Shel Home Repair 6 June 5th 05 07:12 PM
GE Garbage Disposal Quit (Disposall) Craig Williams Home Repair 1 February 2nd 05 12:39 PM
Stinky Paint Mr Fixit eh Home Repair 10 January 30th 05 08:49 PM
stinky fridge Gary E Home Repair 4 July 17th 03 02:51 AM