Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stinky clothes

You got these clothes (especially underwear) that you've been wearing
for years. You clean 'em normal in a washing machine with good detergent
and clothes softener (Snuggle or whatever). And they still don't
smell right.

What makes clothes stinky? What can one do to make 'em unstinky
(like unscented)???

Thx,
Will
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 02 Aug 2009 07:33:57p, Wilfred Xavier Pickles told us...

You got these clothes (especially underwear) that you've been wearing
for years. You clean 'em normal in a washing machine with good detergent
and clothes softener (Snuggle or whatever). And they still don't
smell right.

What makes clothes stinky? What can one do to make 'em unstinky
(like unscented)???

Thx,
Will

A pre-soak and inclusion in the wash water of some Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
should take care of the problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:
You got these clothes (especially underwear) that you've been wearing
for years. You clean 'em normal in a washing machine with good detergent
and clothes softener (Snuggle or whatever). And they still don't
smell right.

What makes clothes stinky? What can one do to make 'em unstinky
(like unscented)???

Thx,
Will

Hi,
Dry it in the sun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:33:57 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:

You got these clothes (especially underwear) that you've been wearing
for years. You clean 'em normal in a washing machine with good detergent
and clothes softener (Snuggle or whatever). And they still don't
smell right.

What makes clothes stinky? What can one do to make 'em unstinky
(like unscented)???

Thx,
Will

Use unscented soap, no fabric softeners, baking soda in the wash,
vinegar in the rinse. Dry the clothes on a clothes line in the sun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You got these clothes (especially underwear) that you've been wearing
for years. You clean 'em normal in a washing machine with good detergent
and clothes softener (Snuggle or whatever). And they still don't
smell right.

What makes clothes stinky? What can one do to make 'em unstinky
(like unscented)???

*Thx,
*Will

Use unscented soap, no fabric softeners, baking soda in the wash,
vinegar in the rinse. *Dry the clothes on a clothes line in the sun.

I think this is an excellent answer.

Lewis.

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 2, 9:33*pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:

snip

What makes clothes stinky?

Often it is bacterial in nature.

What can one do to make 'em unstinky
(like unscented)???

Since the culprits are usually whites, use a regular laundry bleach
per directions. UV in sunlight also kills bacteria, so outdoor drying
works well, too.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 10:33*pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:
You got these clothes (especially underwear) that you've been wearing
for years. You clean 'em normal in a washing machine with good detergent
and clothes softener (Snuggle or whatever). And they still don't
smell right.

What makes clothes stinky? What can one do to make 'em unstinky
(like unscented)???

* Thx,
* Will

How long do you leave them in the washer before you dry them? Too long
and mildew starts to form.

We have noticed that since we bought a front loader which spins at
1100 RPM, the clothes need to be removed sooner than in our old top
loader.

I think that because they are so much dryer after being spun in the
front loader, they begin to get odiferous a little sooner.

In addition, if you are drying them too much, they can take a bit of a
burnt odor for a short time. Bath towels are the worst culprit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You got these clothes (especially underwear) that you've been wearing
for years. You clean 'em normal in a washing machine with good detergent
and clothes softener (Snuggle or whatever). And they still don't
smell right.

What makes clothes stinky? What can one do to make 'em unstinky
(like unscented)???

Thx,
Will

Use unscented soap, no fabric softeners, baking soda in the wash,
vinegar in the rinse. Dry the clothes on a clothes line in the sun.

And in the future don't let wet clothes/towels sit in a hamper or a pile
on the floor letting them develop mildew. If it's not getting washed
the next day it will start to mildew unless you hang them over the sides
of the hamper or somewhere else to dry. My X wife would pile wet towels
into a basket letting them mildew. Then she would claim she need
scented detergent to get rid of the mildew smell (and I'm allergic).
That doesn't get rid of the smell, it just covers it up. She refused to
listen so I washed all of the (almost new) towels using a good amount of
chlorine bleach. I gave them an extra wash to get rid of the chlorine
and they smelled like..... nothing! Wanna hear a woman bitch, just go
bleach all her fancy colored bath towels. Can't say I didn't warn her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

bleach all her fancy colored bath towels. *Can't say I didn't warn her.- Hide quoted text -

Was that part of the reason for the use of the letter "X"? g
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I knew someone would mention that! :-) At the time I hoped it would
steer things that direction but that was just a tiny thing compared to
the whole messy affair. No not that kind of affair! I simply married
the wrong woman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You got these clothes (especially underwear) that you've been wearing
for years. You clean 'em normal in a washing machine with good detergent
and clothes softener (Snuggle or whatever). And they still don't
smell right.

What makes clothes stinky? What can one do to make 'em unstinky
(like unscented)???

Thx,
Will

Use unscented soap, no fabric softeners, baking soda in the wash,
vinegar in the rinse. Dry the clothes on a clothes line in the sun.

It all sounds good except the clothes line: I'd hafta pour concrete
and sink some poles in the yard, and that wouldn't really fit ...

I didn't know you could buy unscented anything anymore. Y'all
use unscented detergent? Recall the brand??

White vinegar like for salads?

Much Thanks,
Will
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

I didn't know you could buy unscented anything anymore. Y'all
use unscented detergent? Recall the brand??

I've been using Tide Free for quite a few years. No perfume, no dye.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

I didn't know you could buy unscented anything anymore. Y'all
use unscented detergent? Recall the brand??

All Free & Clear.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You got these clothes (especially underwear) that you've been wearing
for years. You clean 'em normal in a washing machine with good detergent
and clothes softener (Snuggle or whatever). And they still don't
smell right.

What makes clothes stinky? What can one do to make 'em unstinky
(like unscented)???

Thx,
Will

Use unscented soap, no fabric softeners, baking soda in the wash,
vinegar in the rinse. Dry the clothes on a clothes line in the sun.

It all sounds good except the clothes line: I'd hafta pour concrete
and sink some poles in the yard, and that wouldn't really fit ...

The UV rays break down many stinky odors.

I didn't know you could buy unscented anything anymore. Y'all
use unscented detergent? Recall the brand??

Tide Free.

White vinegar like for salads?

The cheapest white vinegar you can buy, about $2.50 a gallon.

Much Thanks,
Will

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 14:20:14 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

Use unscented soap, no fabric softeners, baking soda in the wash,
vinegar in the rinse. Dry the clothes on a clothes line in the sun.

It all sounds good except the clothes line: I'd hafta pour concrete
and sink some poles in the yard, and that wouldn't really fit ...

The UV rays break down many stinky odors.

I know. Wish it were practical to do.

I didn't know you could buy unscented anything anymore. Y'all
use unscented detergent? Recall the brand??

Tide Free.

Not so easy to find, but :

http://www.tide.com/en-US/product/tide-free.jspx

White vinegar like for salads?

The cheapest white vinegar you can buy, about $2.50 a gallon.

Also good as weed killer? :-)

Add maybe 1 cup to rinse?

Thanks,
Will
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 10:03*pm, Tony wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Of course, you should hear her side of the story: "That Tony, what an
*ss. He knew he was allergic to mildew but he'd just let the wet
cloth stay in the hamper while I was cooking dinner and vacuuming the
rugs. He just sat there and browsed the internet. He wouldn't even
talk to me. Then, when I FINALLY got around to washing the cloths, it
wasn't good enough for him. So he took the cloths and REWASHED them.
You know, if he'd have just washed them in the first place it would
have been exactly the same amount of work for him, BUT NO, he sat on
his *ss and waited for me to do it. Then, the spiteful b*st*rd took
the whole load the dumped like a gallon of bleach in it just to be
spiteful and ruin the towels. So now I have to go out and buy new
towels. I don't see why that moron couldn't just do the towels in the
first place. I tell you, he's not getting anything tonight, not after
ruining my towels. That lazy b*st*rd. I need to calm down. I think
I'll call my sister. She always gives me the best, unbiased advice.
I know she it'll be good advice because she knows Tony for being the
lazy, uncaring b*st*rd that he is."
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Smitty Two wrote

Tide Free.

Not so easy to find, but :

http://www.tide.com/en-US/product/tide-free.jspx

Ease of finding it may be a geographic thing. Every store here carries
it.

Stinky kerosene? spaco Metalworking 1 March 19th 08 10:08 PM
Stinky Disposall Bubba Home Repair 15 May 4th 06 12:46 PM
Stinky Paint Mr Fixit eh Home Repair 10 January 30th 05 08:49 PM
stinky fridge Gary E Home Repair 4 July 17th 03 02:51 AM