Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Span for flooring loft

I want to floor some of the loft, just for a bit of storage. Looking for
about 40 sq. m.
Wickes' Tongued and Grooved Chipboard Flooring looks OK, but says:
"Suitable for all domestic flooring and for joist widths up to 450mm
centres"
My joists are a bit variable, from 420mm up to about 500mm, so would the
excess distance cause a problem?

atm, there are a few bits of 18mm OSB about 30cm width and they seem solid
over 500mm; I'd use OSB but it's a lot more expensive.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Tongued-and-...ng/invt/164516
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:40:58 +0100, PeterC
wibbled:

I want to floor some of the loft, just for a bit of storage. Looking for
about 40 sq. m.
Wickes' Tongued and Grooved Chipboard Flooring looks OK, but says:
"Suitable for all domestic flooring and for joist widths up to 450mm
centres"
My joists are a bit variable, from 420mm up to about 500mm, so would the
excess distance cause a problem?

atm, there are a few bits of 18mm OSB about 30cm width and they seem
solid over 500mm; I'd use OSB but it's a lot more expensive.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Tongued-and-...oard-Flooring/

invt/164516

I found similar stuff upstairs, spanning 400mm, 450, 500 & 600mm!!

500mm is absolutely fine.

600mm was sort of OK (been like that for years) - was a little bouncy and
very bouncy when de-tongued.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 18:29:33 +0000 (UTC), Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks Tim. Just wanted to be sure that it wouldn't suffer catastrophic
failure!
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:06:28 +0100, PeterC
wibbled:

OK, thanks Tim. Just wanted to be sure that it wouldn't suffer
catastrophic failure!

You can be assured. The old chip I have is degraded, also about 600mm
wide panels and right now, about 2/3rds of the original is looselaid and
spaced out as I work under it. Even in that state it is not failing
(though I often wonder why!).

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:41:13 +0000 (UTC), Tim Watts wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:06:28 +0100, PeterC
wibbled:

OK, thanks Tim. Just wanted to be sure that it wouldn't suffer
catastrophic failure!

You can be assured. The old chip I have is degraded, also about 600mm
wide panels and right now, about 2/3rds of the original is looselaid and
spaced out as I work under it. Even in that state it is not failing
(though I often wonder why!).

Although I wouldn't use it for the flooring, I put a strip of 12mm WBP up
there to put some boxen on, It is also about 30cm wide and it takes my
weight with some flexing (I tried it across spaced supports outside
first!).
I might not use the T&G (i.e. cut it off) in all places as being able to
lift the boards to access fittings is v. important.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Flooring a garage loft James Abley UK diy 16 August 3rd 09 11:27 AM
loft flooring Al M UK diy 1 January 9th 09 08:31 PM
Load Span table -- 14-foot span BETA-32[_2_] Home Repair 24 January 13th 08 07:15 PM
Loft flooring 51 UK diy 34 November 20th 06 11:53 AM
Loft flooring Josh UK diy 7 January 28th 05 07:16 PM