Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosch angle grinders

Hi,

Can anyone explain why there are so many blue Bosch angle grinders and
what the differences are between them?

Screwfix used to sell (IIRC) the 6-115 but they now sell the 7-115
which is marked as "new". Yet Machine mart are selling the 8-115. The
only difference appears to be the power of the motor, which was 670W
for the 6-115 720W for the 7-115, and 800W for the 8-115.

Toolstation don't follow the x-115 model number convention but list a
GWS850, which is rated 850W.

Would you notice the difference between a 670W and 850W angle grinder
and why do Bosch make so many different motors and have so many
different models on the market all at once?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone explain why there are so many blue Bosch angle grinders and
what the differences are between them?

Screwfix used to sell (IIRC) the 6-115 but they now sell the 7-115
which is marked as "new". Yet Machine mart are selling the 8-115. The
only difference appears to be the power of the motor, which was 670W
for the 6-115 720W for the 7-115, and 800W for the 8-115.

Toolstation don't follow the x-115 model number convention but list a
GWS850, which is rated 850W.

Would you notice the difference between a 670W and 850W angle grinder
and why do Bosch make so many different motors and have so many
different models on the market all at once?

Perhaps they buy them in from different Chinese factories and that's
what's on offer?

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 May, 22:04, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone explain why there are so many blue Bosch angle grinders and
what the differences are between them?

Screwfix used to sell (IIRC) the 6-115 but they now sell the 7-115
which is marked as "new". Yet Machine mart are selling the 8-115. The
only difference appears to be the power of the motor, which was 670W
for the 6-115 720W for the 7-115, and 800W for the 8-115.

Toolstation don't follow the x-115 model number convention but list a
GWS850, which is rated 850W.

Would you notice the difference between a 670W and 850W angle grinder
and why do Bosch make so many different motors and have so many
different models on the market all at once?

TIA

Bosch seem to do this with the smaller-model cordless drills too. More
models exist than are needed to cover the price-points ad varying
needs.

My guess is it's so that different stores/different markets don't have
to compete directly on price.

Buy what you need, at what for you is a reasonable deal - and don't
get stuck in over-analysis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 29/05/2010 22:04, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone explain why there are so many blue Bosch angle grinders and
what the differences are between them?

Screwfix used to sell (IIRC) the 6-115 but they now sell the 7-115
which is marked as "new". Yet Machine mart are selling the 8-115. The
only difference appears to be the power of the motor, which was 670W
for the 6-115 720W for the 7-115, and 800W for the 8-115.

Toolstation don't follow the x-115 model number convention but list a
GWS850, which is rated 850W.

Would you notice the difference between a 670W and 850W angle grinder
and why do Bosch make so many different motors and have so many
different models on the market all at once?

TIA

You could try looking he

http://www.powertoolspares.com/Bosch-professional-spare-parts-1/6000549/bosch-angle-grinders/6000616/

Certainly lists all the variants you mention - and then some.

I have often had a feeling, not backed up by proper research, that
Screwfix are doing a lot of buying end of model life products - and not
moving on to new models. This seems to be the rationale behind the
Makita Site models.

Haven't double-checked but I think I have the GWS850 (bought from
Toolstation at a lower price than current) - came complete with usable
plastic case (space for cable and discs). Has worked fine for me - nice
and soft start, reasonable noise level (from the tool itself).

(Could the ones in cases be the same as bare models but with different
numbers? Wouldn't account for the wattage differences, I know.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone explain why there are so many blue Bosch angle grinders and
what the differences are between them?

Possibly its this 'price promise' bollox. Common with domestic electrical
goods.

May well be that the 7-115 is only supplied to Screwfix, the 8-115 is
exclusive to Machine Mart etc. - but they are more or less all the same
machine.

Would you notice the difference between a 670W and 850W angle grinder
and why do Bosch make so many different motors and have so many
different models on the market all at once?

You prolly won't notice much. I bought a Site angle grinder when SF had
them on offer - can't really fault it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 May 2010 23:15:03 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Bosch seem to do this with the smaller-model cordless drills too. More
models exist than are needed to cover the price-points ad varying
needs.

My guess is it's so that different stores/different markets don't have
to compete directly on price.

Buy what you need, at what for you is a reasonable deal - and don't
get stuck in over-analysis.

Thanks. It's reassuring that the power of the grinder is not critical.
I was hoping to pick up a cheap 6-115 when Screw fix reduced them to
clear but it looks as though I am too late ;(

Like you say, I'll look for whichever one is on offer. If it comes
with a case, that will be a bonus too.

I have a green one at the moment but thought I might get a blue one
because I'm too lazy to change discs!

The answer was - angle grinders! Matty F UK diy 12 May 21st 09 06:51 AM
Damn it! Angle Grinders!!! Rod UK diy 31 October 7th 08 10:00 AM
Use for small angle grinders? Rex B Metalworking 24 March 10th 05 02:40 PM
Angle Grinders ? James Nipper Home Repair 27 January 18th 05 01:54 AM
Angle Grinders ? James Nipper Home Ownership 27 January 18th 05 01:54 AM