Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Damn it! Angle Grinders!!!

Just posted about how well the cheap Screwfix angle grinder was working
- went out to continue - and it has broken!

The switch was not very good - but now it does absolutely nothing -
moves but the motor does not come on. It is a long time since I bought
it so really does seem out of time for a warranty claim.

So I really have to think about a new one. Suggestions for a relatively
inexpensive 4.5 nch/115mm angle grinder eagerly sought! Must buy
tomorrow morning.

Quick checks at Screwfix, B&Q and Toolstation (all reasonably accessible
for me tomorrow) show:

Makita 9554NB - 39.99 (SF)
Site SMA900 - 36.99 (SF)
Bosch GWS6-115 - 39.99 (SF) / 37.00 (TS)
Ryobi 4.5" Angle Grinder EAG8011 720W - 29.98 (B&Q)

Any comments? Any other suggestions?

Am I right that the Site is the previous model of Makita? Is it any way
inferior to the 'real' Mak? The 3 year 'professional' warranty on the
Bosch is appealing. My emotion says the Mak. My head says buy the Ryobi
and get money back when it goes wrong within warranty.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod coughed up some electrons that declared:

[...]

My Hitachi 2kg SDS seems well fairly built (though it's not yet been beaten
senseless) - and I noticed Screwfix had a deal on some Hitachi's, but
possibly not in 4.5"? I'm going to get the 9".

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
[...]

Andy Hall would have told you to but the Mak or the Bosch :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Try B&Q or TS for a change,I only go into SF when I cannot obtain something
locally...trouble is every visit to SF I have noticed someone walk in to
return a faulty item and out of the six times of going there four of the
items have been power tools.
Got nothing against SF.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim S wrote:

My Hitachi 2kg SDS seems well fairly built (though it's not yet been beaten
senseless) - and I noticed Screwfix had a deal on some Hitachi's, but
possibly not in 4.5"? I'm going to get the 9".

Cheers

Tim

Unfortuantely, I could only see a 110V version Hitachi angle grinder.
And that is more expensive than the Makita and Bosch (at 44.99). And
ebcause there is no picture, I couldn't see if it has the usual Hitachi
go-faster appearance. :-)

Thanks.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
[...]

That thought has been going round and round in my head. Buy cheap (as I
did) and have to pay to replace in next to no time. Hmmmm.

Which make have *you* got?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

That thought has been going round and round in my head. Buy cheap (as
I did) and have to pay to replace in next to no time. Hmmmm.

Which make have *you* got?

I rarely use angle grinders, maybe once every month or so and then only for
short periods.

I have a Wickes 9" jobby which is excellent, had it for years. I have two
4" Homobase cheapies, one in an Aldi cut off stand in the workshop & the
other sits in the van. Paid about £9 each for them in a clearance. Can't
remember the last time I used either.

If I used one often I'd prolly buy the Mak.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John Weston wrote:
In article ,
says...
Just posted about how well the cheap Screwfix angle grinder was working
- went out to continue - and it has broken!

The switch was not very good - but now it does absolutely nothing -
moves but the motor does not come on. It is a long time since I bought
it so really does seem out of time for a warranty claim.

So I really have to think about a new one. Suggestions for a relatively
inexpensive 4.5 nch/115mm angle grinder eagerly sought! Must buy
tomorrow morning.

Quick checks at Screwfix, B&Q and Toolstation (all reasonably accessible
for me tomorrow) show:

Makita 9554NB - 39.99 (SF)
Site SMA900 - 36.99 (SF)
Bosch GWS6-115 - 39.99 (SF) / 37.00 (TS)
Ryobi 4.5" Angle Grinder EAG8011 720W - 29.98 (B&Q)

Any comments? Any other suggestions?

Check the switch on your old one :-) I had a problem on mine (different
make) some years ago meaning I had to keep my finger on the switch for
it to run. All I did was dissasemble, clean things up and reassemble,
being careful of the ping****it that makes the switch function only in
two positions.

- unless you want the excuse for a new one :-)

I thought through that route - and it might work - but I really must get
on with the job. Maybe put the old one in the shed for later attention.
But I seem to remember there were many weak points about the Screwfix
cheapies, so maybe best to move on.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

If you would like a cheapie, Netto have a "Tooltec" one for £9.98, started
today (02-10-08)

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Toby wrote:

If you would like a cheapie, Netto have a "Tooltec" one for £9.98,
started today (02-10-08)

Toby...

Nearest Netto is quite a way to go. And
I have just found out what is wrong with cheapies. :-(

Thanks anyway.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Toby wrote:

If you would like a cheapie, Netto have a "Tooltec" one for £9.98,
started today (02-10-08)

Toby...

Nearest Netto is quite a way to go. And
I have just found out what is wrong with cheapies. :-(

Thanks anyway.

--
Rod

onset.

Even the best can have their failures. ;-)having paid £9.99 for me Aldi one
makes me think I've done some work with it since I bought it 2 years
ago,although its still working if it went defunct on me now I wouldn't
grumble...I'd just go and buy another Aldi jobby. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes

Any comments? Any other suggestions?

Check the switch on your old one :-) I had a problem on mine
(different make) some years ago meaning I had to keep my finger on
the switch for it to run. All I did was dissasemble, clean things up
and reassemble, being careful of the ping****it that makes the switch
function only in two positions.
- unless you want the excuse for a new one :-)

I thought through that route - and it might work - but I really must
get on with the job. Maybe put the old one in the shed for later
attention. But I seem to remember there were many weak points about the
Screwfix cheapies, so maybe best to move on.

It is worth running any angle grinder *light* after some work in order
to protect the windings from thermal overshoot. If you put your hand
(carefully:-) in front of the air outlet you may be surprised how long
it takes to cool. I expect one of the ways to save manufacturing cost
may be in the quality of insulation used.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Just posted about how well the cheap Screwfix angle grinder was working
- went out to continue - and it has broken!

The switch was not very good - but now it does absolutely nothing -
moves but the motor does not come on. It is a long time since I bought
it so really does seem out of time for a warranty claim.

Not the kinso one was it? (they eventually started giving them away with
a pack of diamond discs to stop them coming back!

So I really have to think about a new one. Suggestions for a relatively
inexpensive 4.5 nch/115mm angle grinder eagerly sought! Must buy
tomorrow morning.

Quick checks at Screwfix, B&Q and Toolstation (all reasonably accessible
for me tomorrow) show:

Makita 9554NB - 39.99 (SF)
Site SMA900 - 36.99 (SF)
Bosch GWS6-115 - 39.99 (SF) / 37.00 (TS)
Ryobi 4.5" Angle Grinder EAG8011 720W - 29.98 (B&Q)

Any comments? Any other suggestions?

Am I right that the Site is the previous model of Makita? Is it any way

It seems that way - SF claim "made by Makita", and th external design of
many of the tools does look exactly like last years model.

inferior to the 'real' Mak? The 3 year 'professional' warranty on the
Bosch is appealing. My emotion says the Mak. My head says buy the Ryobi
and get money back when it goes wrong within warranty.

With angle grinders the top end brands are not that much more expensive
than the basic ones, and if you can find a deal where there is a bundled
disc then they are often the same price. When I bought my 9" grinder the
cheapies were typically £40 ish. I bought a nice Hitachi one for £75
ish, but that came with a diamond disc that would have cost about £30 on
its own.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
Toby wrote:

If you would like a cheapie, Netto have a "Tooltec" one for £9.98,
started today (02-10-08)

Toby...

Nearest Netto is quite a way to go. And
I have just found out what is wrong with cheapies. :-(

Thanks anyway.

--
Rod

Hypothyroidism is a seriously debilitating condition with an
insidious onset.

Even the best can have their failures. ;-)having paid £9.99 for me
Aldi one makes me think I've done some work with it since I bought it
2 years ago,although its still working if it went defunct on me now I
wouldn't grumble...I'd just go and buy another Aldi jobby. :-)

Thats my philosophy with power tools I don't use that much like angle
grinders, reciprocating saws, 6kg SDS (used as a breaker). Handy to have
for those odd jobs. Quite happy if they last a year or two with infrequent
use.

Mid use stuff like planers, sanders etc I'll buy a middle of the road jobby
like B&D or Ryobi.

Stuff I use day in day out like drill drivers, or where
performance/accuracy/durability are important (circular saws, jigsaws,
impact drivers, routers) I'll spend the extra and by a Makita or similar.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John Rumm wrote:
Rod wrote:

[...]

Hah! Is *that* how come I have the three diamond discs? (Think it is the
kinso.) Makes sense as I simply don't believe I ever ordered three such
discs. (In fact, I think I must have tagged the device itself onto a
friend's order - it isn't in my order history.)

I now realise that a good switch is important, no - vital, to an angle
grinder.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Toby wrote:

If you would like a cheapie, Netto have a "Tooltec" one for £9.98,
started today (02-10-08)

Toby...

Nearest Netto is quite a way to go. And
I have just found out what is wrong with cheapies. :-(

The cheapies are not too bad for metal grinding / cutting, but masonry
dust tends to kill the windings or clog the switches on them.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Hah! Is *that* how come I have the three diamond discs? (Think it is the
kinso.) Makes sense as I simply don't believe I ever ordered three such
discs. (In fact, I think I must have tagged the device itself onto a
friend's order - it isn't in my order history.)

I now realise that a good switch is important, no - vital, to an angle
grinder.

Judging by past posts on the Kinso, the failure rate was getting close
to 100% - switches failing being the number one cause. (one may have
burst into flames as well!)

Re Switches - yup they are important. Finding one is stuck on, can be
worse than one simply not working when you want it to.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Which make have *you* got?

I have a 4.5" B&D Pro and a 9" Makita - both bought used and neither has
given a bit of trouble in the past decade despite some heavy use. I paid
a tenner each for them (one from a boot sale, other from local market)
and if I'd bought some piece of no-name cheap **** it would probably
have been wrecked by now.

I have a Wickes 9" jobby which is excellent, had it for years. I have two
4" Homobase cheapies,

Bonar.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes
[...]

I have just replaced a Bosch Blue 9" angle grinder with a Bosch Blue 9"
angle grinder.

The old one was *atleast* 23 years old that I know of, had been worked
silly, and was still going strong. Too much brick dust in the switch had
made it a little temperamental but I still considered it one of my
better tools.

I've got various Bosch Blue power tools. Whilst I rate my Makita stuff
on a par *to use*, the Bosch Blue stuff somehow still feels better made.

Hth
--
Someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Which make have *you* got?

I have a 4.5" B&D Pro and a 9" Makita - both bought used and neither
has given a bit of trouble in the past decade despite some heavy use.
I paid a tenner each for them (one from a boot sale, other from local
market) and if I'd bought some piece of no-name cheap **** it would
probably have been wrecked by now.

I have a Wickes 9" jobby which is excellent, had it for years. I
have two 4" Homobase cheapies,

Bonar.

Did you mean Bona?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

After much umming, aahing, and breaking of definite decisions, I have
bought a Bosch GWS 850C.

(Sorry - can't see how to unpack the relevant bits of the Bosch site link.)

Comes with a diamond disc (not that important as I have three Screwfix
ones) and a smart box. Strikes me that a decent box helps a lot with
long term storage, keeping bits together, etc.

Advantages over the GWS6-115 we

o Smooth start
o More power (850W rather than 670W)
o Constant electronic speed control
o Overload protection
o Compatible with the Bosch SDS mechanism (needs additional component
to actually work)

Also - gave me excuse to actually visit a Toolstation. And what a
pleasant experience. Easy to find and park, friendly, speedy service, in
stock (and I had been able to check that online last night). Approx. £7
more than the GWS6-115.

Advantages over the cheapo - well start with much nicer feel in the hand.

Many thanks for all the contributions. I really had to think through
what I wanted to achieve and how much I could pay. Still seems to be a
decent value machine - everything appears well made and, so far, designed.

Silverline, and odd Toolstation connection: Seems that they are brothers
- I assume the main person in each business - hence the preponderance of
Silverline branded products. Note: I didn't even think of buying
anything with that brand.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Bonar.

Did you mean Bona?

I hope so.

He's so bold...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Nearest Netto is quite a way to go. And
I have just found out what is wrong with cheapies. :-(

I bought an electric saw - don't known what the proper
name is, it has a base and the saw is mounted vertically
above it and you lever it down through an angle to cut
through your wood. Chop saw?

Anyway, I bought it specifically for cutting wood, and
the damn wood won't fit under the blade!

Grrrr.

--
JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
Rod wrote:
Nearest Netto is quite a way to go. And
I have just found out what is wrong with cheapies. :-(

I bought an electric saw - don't known what the proper
name is, it has a base and the saw is mounted vertically
above it and you lever it down through an angle to cut
through your wood. Chop saw?

Probably:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/mitresaw.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
Rod wrote:
Nearest Netto is quite a way to go. And
I have just found out what is wrong with cheapies. :-(

I bought an electric saw - don't known what the proper
name is, it has a base and the saw is mounted vertically
above it and you lever it down through an angle to cut
through your wood. Chop saw?

Anyway, I bought it specifically for cutting wood, and
the damn wood won't fit under the blade!

Grrrr.

How thick is the wood? Most mitre saws have a lock down button - are you
sure you've released it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
Rod wrote:
Nearest Netto is quite a way to go. And
I have just found out what is wrong with cheapies. :-(

I bought an electric saw - don't known what the proper
name is, it has a base and the saw is mounted vertically
above it and you lever it down through an angle to cut
through your wood. Chop saw?

Anyway, I bought it specifically for cutting wood, and
the damn wood won't fit under the blade!

Grrrr.

--
JGH

You need a bigger saw. Nothing to do with price
Posted to uk.d-i-y

decent value machine - everything appeahttp://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/625baf760b456347/877f6153e664ab99http://www.sealey.co.ukrs well made and, so far, designed.

Silverline, and odd Toolstation connection: Seems that they are brothers
- I assume the main person in each business - hence the preponderance of
Silverline branded products. Note: I didn't even think of buying
anything with that brand.

Toolstation was set up by founder of Screwfix, sold Screwfix to B&Q
owners Kingfisher and waited till his non compete clause expired.

Thought Silverline was brand offshoot of Sealey but dosen`t look like
it, got a few Silverline handtools , they seem pretty good TBH

http://www.sealey.co.uk

http://www.silverlinetools.com

Adam

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

Silverline, and odd Toolstation connection: Seems that they are
brothers - I assume the main person in each business - hence the
preponderance of
Silverline branded products. Note: I didn't even think of buying
anything with that brand.

Toolstation was set up by founder of Screwfix, sold Screwfix to B&Q
owners Kingfisher and waited till his non compete clause expired.

Thought Silverline was brand offshoot of Sealey but dosen`t look like
it, got a few Silverline handtools , they seem pretty good TBH

I've found them a mixed bag TBH, some very good, some cheap & nasty. A lot
of the Toolstation stuff is branded Silverline when it arrives but its not
described as Silverline in the catalogue.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Adam Aglionby wrote:

Silverline, and odd Toolstation connection: Seems that they are
brothers - I assume the main person in each business - hence the
preponderance of
Silverline branded products. Note: I didn't even think of buying
anything with that brand.

Toolstation was set up by founder of Screwfix, sold Screwfix to B&Q
owners Kingfisher and waited till his non compete clause expired.

Thought Silverline was brand offshoot of Sealey but dosen`t look like
it, got a few Silverline handtools , they seem pretty good TBH

I've found them a mixed bag TBH, some very good, some cheap & nasty. A lot
of the Toolstation stuff is branded Silverline when it arrives but its not
described as Silverline in the catalogue.

Not sure if I have got even a single item branded Silverline, but when I
have inspected them in shops, impressed I wasn't. But, as said, it seems
that they are a very mixed bag.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Not sure if I have got even a single item branded Silverline, but when I
have inspected them in shops, impressed I wasn't. But, as said, it seems
that they are a very mixed bag.

My feelings also. Some stuff is adequate, some a bit poor.

--
Cheers,

John.