Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ownership of boundary?

I have been retained to advise on a small project involving a terraced
cottage that was built in 1882. The rear garden is narrow but very
long and I would like to establish who "owns" (or is responsible for)
which boundary.

We have obtained the relevant documents from the last conveyance of
the property in 1998 together with annotated copies of the 1:1250
Ordnance Survey map from the Land Registry.

From previous experience, I had hoped to find ticks or v-marks showing
which boundaries were the responsibility of which landowners. However,
in this case, the map shows nothing, just a solid line for each fence
and a dotted line for an unfenced but defined boundary, with no ticks.

There is nothing helpful on the ground either, with 3' or 4' plastic
coated chain link fences marking all the boundaries and no hint of
which side the posts are on.

The neighbours on each side are friendly and helpful but no-one knows
who "owns" which boundary. They do know who installed what length of
fence and when, but without prejudice to whose responsibility the
boundaries might be.

So where do I go from here? I could have searches carried out but I
fear that all they will turn up is the same annotated plans from the
Land Registry, and having spent some money we will be no further on.

Home ownership Mr. Harry Metalworking 0 August 26th 09 03:01 PM
Fence ownership John UK diy 24 February 1st 07 06:33 AM
Pet Ownership - Killing Through Kindness David Martel Home Repair 0 June 13th 06 05:54 PM
easement vs ownership empty Home Ownership 10 March 9th 06 08:22 PM