Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cables in walls - horizontal from sockets?

page 60 of the on site guide shows cables running vertically or
horizontally from accessories.

Is it really OK to run them between sockets horizontally?

I've never seen it done - people usually run up from the floor (or
down from the ceiling) to each sockets, even when a horizontal run
would be easier. It would save a lot of effort in our kitchen and
study to run horizontally between sockets, just dropping down at each
end.

If this OK?

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Robinson wrote:

Is it really OK to run them between sockets horizontally?

I've never seen it done - people usually run up from the floor (or
down from the ceiling) to each sockets, even when a horizontal run
would be easier.

Hmmm... try this, from a property I did up not long ago (and yes, I did
completely rewire it!):
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3383/img5491u.jpg

If this OK?

Yes, horizontal is fine

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:42:33 +0100, Lobster wrote:

Hmmm... try this, from a property I did up not long ago (and yes, I did
completely rewire it!):
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3383/img5491u.jpg

Wasn't coming from a cooker hood was it? Professional or DIY install?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:42:33 +0100, Lobster wrote:

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3383/img5491u.jpg

Wasn't coming from a cooker hood was it? Professional or DIY install?

The original cooker outlet (early '70s professional install) in my house
was diagonal and without steel capping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:42:33 +0100, Lobster wrote:

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3383/img5491u.jpg

Wasn't coming from a cooker hood was it? Professional or DIY install?

The original cooker outlet (early '70s professional install) in my house
was diagonal and without steel capping.

Because of their physical position, they're often easier to run from the
lighting circuit.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articleueCdndPq75QzNmrWnZ2dnUVZ8nmdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
Andy wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:42:33 +0100, Lobster wrote:

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3383/img5491u.jpg

Wasn't coming from a cooker hood was it? Professional or DIY install?

The original cooker outlet (early '70s professional install) in my house
was diagonal and without steel capping.

Because of their physical position, they're often easier to run from the
lighting circuit.

I wasn't talking about a cooker hood, but the main cooker point. Either
they were short of 6(?)mm cable that day, or they didn't like the
thought of trying to bend it to keep it horizontal/vertical.

During the same kitchen refurb where I found that, I also found that
when the kitchen extension had been build, the bonding from the CU to
the incoming water main had been sliced straight through by angle
grinder when they formed the new opening the wall ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 May 2010 11:02:21 +0100 someone who may be Andy Burns
wrote this:-

The original cooker outlet (early '70s professional install) in my house
was diagonal and without steel capping.

So?

Running unprotected cables diagonally was not frowned upon until
IIRC sometime in the 1980s.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember David Hansen
saying something like:

wrote this:-

The original cooker outlet (early '70s professional install) in my house
was diagonal and without steel capping.

So?

Running unprotected cables diagonally was not frowned upon until
IIRC sometime in the 1980s.

It was always a bloody stupid thing to do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

Running unprotected cables diagonally was not frowned upon until
IIRC sometime in the 1980s.

I noted recently on one of those DIY SOS programmes that the team
brought in to rectify a DIY bodger's work ran cables diagonally to
sockets. I wrote to the TV company concerned about the installation, but
predictably I received no reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:42:33 +0100, Lobster wrote:

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3383/img5491u.jpg

Wasn't coming from a cooker hood was it? Professional or DIY install?

The original cooker outlet (early '70s professional install) in my house
was diagonal and without steel capping.

Diagonal is bad, steel capping is irrelevant as its only there to stop the
plasterer from damaging the cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:42:33 +0100, Lobster wrote:

Hmmm... try this, from a property I did up not long ago (and yes, I did
completely rewire it!):
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3383/img5491u.jpg

Wasn't coming from a cooker hood was it? Professional or DIY install?

Actually, I happen to have a 'before' picture too, so here it is:
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9555/img4666u.jpg

.... just a regular 13A spur, presumably for the TV (and no, the Daily
Sport wasn't mine! I think it would have been a pro job, but can't be
sure. Judging by the colour scheme (!) I would place it at pre-1970s, so
as another poster as alluded to, maybe it was actually legal then.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
David Robinson wrote:

Is it really OK to run them between sockets horizontally?

I've never seen it done - people usually run up from the floor (or
down from the ceiling) to each sockets, even when a horizontal run
would be easier.

Hmmm... try this, from a property I did up not long ago (and yes, I did
completely rewire it!):
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3383/img5491u.jpg

If this OK?

Yes, horizontal is fine

David

Not much choice if floor is concrete: just a couple of feet with the angle
grinder fills whole house up with incredible amount of plaster dust though!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
David Robinson wrote:
I've never seen it done - people usually run up from the floor (or
down from the ceiling) to each sockets, even when a horizontal run
would be easier. It would save a lot of effort in our kitchen and
study to run horizontally between sockets, just dropping down at each
end.

Exactly what I did in my kitchen for the above worktop sockets.
If you're going to tile, it might be worth not chasing (or cutting) out
totally for the backing boxes, but wait until tiling time, so they fit
nicely between tiles.

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/10 08:34, David Robinson wrote:
page 60 of the on site guide shows cables running vertically or
horizontally from accessories.

Is it really OK to run them between sockets horizontally?

Yes. It is absolutely by the book to do so. I've done it here (silly to
go up-down-up-down when your ground floor is concrete).

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.