Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Placing cables inside egg box walls

I need to run several cables from my internal garage into my loft, but I
don't wish to run them up the outside of the house. The problem is running
them through a first floor dividing wall that is made from two pieces of
plasterboard that has an egg box type construction between them. How does
an electrician get over this problem when wiring in wall switches?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OBone wrote:
I need to run several cables from my internal garage into my loft, but I
don't wish to run them up the outside of the house. The problem is running
them through a first floor dividing wall that is made from two pieces of
plasterboard that has an egg box type construction between them. How does
an electrician get over this problem when wiring in wall switches?

Take a 40mm or so spade bit.
Drill hole in wall.
Drill hole in eggbox stuff at as steep an angle as you can, using a
long-reach bit.
Repeat till you've got a clear channel all the way up.
Avoid existing cables.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OBone" wrote in message
I need to run several cables from my internal garage into my loft,
but I don't wish to run them up the outside of the house. The
problem is running
them through a first floor dividing wall that is made from two
pieces of plasterboard that has an egg box type construction between
them. How does an electrician get over this problem when wiring in
wall switches?

I'm not a sparky, but I'd get a rod set like Screwfix 82483.

I'd drill a 50mm hole in the wall and then try to force it upwards through
the eggboard. I'd probably try to do it in steps of 1-2 metres, because
the path would inevitably draft away from true. So drill another 50mm
access hole every few meters, pull it through with a string attached, and
then set off upwards again.

If I could get access from the top, I might try driving right down in one
push and then locating the rod-end by asking an accomplice to wiggle it
while I knelt on the floor downstairs. Shouldn't need more than a few
holes before it was found, especially if it had a little bell or a few links
of light chain attached to increase noise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all of your replies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OBone wrote:
I need to run several cables from my internal garage into my loft, but I
don't wish to run them up the outside of the house. The problem is running
them through a first floor dividing wall that is made from two pieces of
plasterboard that has an egg box type construction between them. How does
an electrician get over this problem when wiring in wall switches?

When in doubt rip it out...

Just remove a section of plasterboard from top to bottom, gouge out the
honeycomb to make a channel, and stick the plasterboard - or a new piece
- back. Skim, sand and paint.

I've tried all the other ways and they take longer in the end.

I do this almost EVERY time I have to install ANY thing electrical
here..stud and plasterboard..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
OBone wrote:
I need to run several cables from my internal garage into my loft,
but I don't wish to run them up the outside of the house. The
problem is running them through a first floor dividing wall that is
made from two pieces of plasterboard that has an egg box type
construction between them. How does an electrician get over this
problem when wiring in wall switches?

When in doubt rip it out...

Just remove a section of plasterboard from top to bottom, gouge out
the honeycomb to make a channel, and stick the plasterboard - or a
new piece - back. Skim, sand and paint.

I've tried all the other ways and they take longer in the end.

I do this almost EVERY time I have to install ANY thing electrical
here..stud and plasterboard..

Hope nobody slams a door too hard.... )