Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default Placing cables inside egg box walls

john wrote:
Try to get above the wall and push some plastic conduit down as far
as you can. May have to cut a piece out of the wall top and bottom.

"OBone" wrote in message
I need to run several cables from my internal garage into my loft,
but I don't wish to run them up the outside of the house. The
problem is running
them through a first floor dividing wall that is made from two
pieces of plasterboard that has an egg box type construction between
them. How does an electrician get over this problem when wiring in
wall switches?

I'm not a sparky, but I'd get a rod set like Screwfix 82483.

I'd drill a 50mm hole in the wall and then try to force it upwards through
the eggboard. I'd probably try to do it in steps of 1-2 metres, because
the path would inevitably draft away from true. So drill another 50mm
access hole every few meters, pull it through with a string attached, and
then set off upwards again.

If I could get access from the top, I might try driving right down in one
push and then locating the rod-end by asking an accomplice to wiggle it
while I knelt on the floor downstairs. Shouldn't need more than a few
holes before it was found, especially if it had a little bell or a few links
of light chain attached to increase noise.