Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Attaching cables to outside walls

Having at last purchased an SDS drill, thanks to the advice from the Two
Daves, I'm ready to do something about various telephone and aerial
cables that adorn the outside walls of the house. The external walls
are granite and, over time, various people have tried to attach cables
with ordinary cable clips. The nails never penetrate properly,
unsurprisingly, and cables tend to just flap around in the wind.

Plan A is to drill holes, then insert lengths of dowel, held with No
More Nails, then use ordinary cable clips, with the nails going into the
ends of the dowels.

A suitable plan, or is there an alternative?

Thanks!
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graeme writes:

Having at last purchased an SDS drill, thanks to the advice from the Two
Daves, I'm ready to do something about various telephone and aerial
cables that adorn the outside walls of the house. The external walls
are granite and, over time, various people have tried to attach cables
with ordinary cable clips. The nails never penetrate properly,
unsurprisingly, and cables tend to just flap around in the wind.

Plan A is to drill holes, then insert lengths of dowel, held with No
More Nails, then use ordinary cable clips, with the nails going into the
ends of the dowels.

A suitable plan, or is there an alternative?

I have done something similar. Drilled very tiny holes,
hammered in matchstick sized splinters tightly, and then
just hammer nails into those. No glue required -- ends up
working like a rawlplug for a nail.

I've never tried drilling into granite, so I don't know
if that presents any special problems.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message

Having at last purchased an SDS drill, thanks to the advice from the Two
Daves, I'm ready to do something about various telephone and aerial cables
that adorn the outside walls of the house. The external walls are granite
and, over time, various people have tried to attach cables with ordinary
cable clips. The nails never penetrate properly, unsurprisingly, and
cables tend to just flap around in the wind.

Plan A is to drill holes, then insert lengths of dowel, held with No More
Nails, then use ordinary cable clips, with the nails going into the ends
of the dowels.

A suitable plan, or is there an alternative?

Thanks!
--
Graeme

How about cable tie plugs:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTCTP.html

And of course cable ties.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
Having at last purchased an SDS drill, thanks to the advice from the Two
Daves, I'm ready to do something about various telephone and aerial
cables that adorn the outside walls of the house. The external walls
are granite and, over time, various people have tried to attach cables
with ordinary cable clips. The nails never penetrate properly,
unsurprisingly, and cables tend to just flap around in the wind.

Plan A is to drill holes, then insert lengths of dowel, held with No
More Nails, then use ordinary cable clips, with the nails going into the
ends of the dowels.

A suitable plan, or is there an alternative?

Yes - there are plastic plugs made for just this purpose. B&Q had them
last time I looked - but in the electrical section beside the cable clips
rather than with other wall plugs.

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:16:03 +0100, Graeme wrote:

Having at last purchased an SDS drill, thanks to the advice from the Two
Daves, I'm ready to do something about various telephone and aerial cables
that adorn the outside walls of the house. The external walls are granite
and, over time, various people have tried to attach cables with ordinary
cable clips. The nails never penetrate properly, unsurprisingly, and
cables tend to just flap around in the wind.

Plan A is to drill holes, then insert lengths of dowel, held with No More
Nails, then use ordinary cable clips, with the nails going into the ends
of the dowels.

A suitable plan, or is there an alternative?

Thanks!

Drill small holes and replace the nails in your standard clips with
oversize masonry nails.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:17:37 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
Having at last purchased an SDS drill, thanks to the advice from the Two
Daves, I'm ready to do something about various telephone and aerial
cables that adorn the outside walls of the house. The external walls
are granite and, over time, various people have tried to attach cables
with ordinary cable clips. The nails never penetrate properly,
unsurprisingly, and cables tend to just flap around in the wind.

Plan A is to drill holes, then insert lengths of dowel, held with No
More Nails, then use ordinary cable clips, with the nails going into the
ends of the dowels.

A suitable plan, or is there an alternative?

Yes - there are plastic plugs made for just this purpose. B&Q had them
last time I looked - but in the electrical section beside the cable clips
rather than with other wall plugs.

I got my last lot on eBay, following a post here.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depending on colour & mortar gaps...
- Nylon P-clips into small rawlplug & screw (can look ok a-la-pyro)
- Fischer or similar "U"cable clips (drill hole, loop over cable, push-
in)

Whatever, try to avoid festooning which can look ugly.

Nail-in clips can compress aerial cables when used ham-fistedly.
If you go that route, instead of wooden dowel perhaps rawl-plug pieces?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
Having at last purchased an SDS drill, thanks to the advice from the
Two Daves, I'm ready to do something about various telephone and
aerial cables that adorn the outside walls of the house. The
external walls are granite and, over time, various people have tried
to attach cables with ordinary cable clips. The nails never
penetrate properly, unsurprisingly, and cables tend to just flap
around in the wind.

Which one did you buy?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Graeme wrote:
Having at last purchased an SDS drill, thanks to the advice from the
Two Daves,

Which one did you buy?

Eventually chose the Ryobi ERH 750v, partly because it comes with three
drills and a chisel, and partly because it was ten pounds cheaper at the
Pro Tec site. 89.84 including VAT and delivery. Ordered Sunday
evening, and arrived today. Longer term plans include removing a
million 1960s tiles from the kitchen and bathroom walls, so the chisel
may be useful, eventually.

Regarding walls and cables, thanks for all the suggestions. I had not
seen the plugs before, and have just ordered a pack, via eBay. I
already have a large bag of cable ties, and the plugs require an 8mm
drill, which is one of the sizes supplied with the drill. Perfect.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yes - there are plastic plugs made for just this purpose. B&Q had them
last time I looked - but in the electrical section beside the cable clips
rather than with other wall plugs.

Tower 'pin plugs':
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...LAID=266917140

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message

Having at last purchased an SDS drill, thanks to the advice from the Two
Daves, I'm ready to do something about various telephone and aerial cables
that adorn the outside walls of the house. The external walls are granite
and, over time, various people have tried to attach cables with ordinary
cable clips. The nails never penetrate properly, unsurprisingly, and
cables tend to just flap around in the wind.

Plan A is to drill holes, then insert lengths of dowel, held with No More
Nails, then use ordinary cable clips, with the nails going into the ends
of the dowels.

A suitable plan, or is there an alternative?

Thanks!
--
Graeme

There are things designed for the job...
I used these:

http://www.cablecraft.co.uk/ProductGrp/0004000c

Drill a 6mm hole with an SDS, ( Granite here too, Aberdeen ) hammer one of
these in, and tie the cables to it. Job done.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:17:37 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
[...]

These are the things (4th item down)

http://www.towerman.co.uk/pdf/fixings/hammerfix.pdf

Although I actually used 6mm dowel and a 5.5mm SDS bit on the last job.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ron Lowe
writes

There are things designed for the job...
I used these:

http://www.cablecraft.co.uk/ProductGrp/0004000c

Drill a 6mm hole with an SDS, ( Granite here too, Aberdeen ) hammer one
of these in, and tie the cables to it. Job done.

Excellent - thank you. Yes, that is what I have ordered. I'm about 45
miles west of you, and delighted to hear that an SDS drill will make a
hole in granite!
--
Graeme