Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Low energy candle bulbs

About a year ago I thought we should try and be energy efficient so I
replaced (as the incandescent ones died) the 8 candle bulbs in the
living room with low energy ones (half from B&Q and half from Screwfix -
but named brands).

Now one is very slow to get up to full brightness (about 2 minutes) and
the others do not seem as bright.

Is that a common experience?

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 May, 20:37, John wrote:
About a year ago I thought we should try and be energy efficient so I
replaced (as the incandescent ones died) the 8 candle bulbs in the
living room with low energy ones (half from B&Q and half from Screwfix -
but named brands).

Now one is very slow to get up to full brightness (about 2 minutes) and
the others do not seem as bright.

Is that a common experience?

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail

Lot of electronics in cramped space, 1 in 6 seriously failing after 12
months is pretty good for CFLs ;-)

Guess they are running base down, base up will kill them quicker.

Fluro will deprecaite over time , some worse than others.

Personally, get some quality light in your living space, halogen
candles

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bul...LL-G9-Adaptors

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John writes:
About a year ago I thought we should try and be energy efficient so I
replaced (as the incandescent ones died) the 8 candle bulbs in the
living room with low energy ones (half from B&Q and half from Screwfix -
but named brands).

Now one is very slow to get up to full brightness (about 2 minutes) and
the others do not seem as bright.

Is that a common experience?

Yes.
People are used to filament lamps dying at end of life.
CFL's often don't actually die, but carry on operating
way past end of life, poorly. A year is bit disappointing
for a CFL, depending how much they're used of course.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, Adam Aglionby writes

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bul...LL-G9-Adaptors

Oh, I like that. That's clever. Wonder how long the capsules last
though, they must run very hot, being enclosed.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 21, 8:37*pm, John wrote:
About a year ago I thought we should try and be energy efficient so I
replaced (as the incandescent ones died) the 8 candle bulbs in the
living room with low energy ones (half from B&Q and half from Screwfix -
but named brands).

Now one is very slow to get up to full brightness (about 2 minutes) and
the others do not seem as bright.

Is that a common experience?

Output does fall over time, its one of the reasons most of us here
recommend getting bulbs of higher wattage than recommended on the box.

You're still saving money & energy.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
About a year ago I thought we should try and be energy efficient so I
replaced (as the incandescent ones died) the 8 candle bulbs in the
living room with low energy ones (half from B&Q and half from Screwfix -
but named brands).

Now one is very slow to get up to full brightness (about 2 minutes) and
the others do not seem as bright.

Is that a common experience?

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail

Yup, that's the usual experience. The candle ones do get v hot and don't
last long in my experience. I've compromised with the ordinary cfls
instead - some of the tubes are getting quite short nowadays so they are not
as intrusive as they were. Though we had to use narrow screw candles in a
bedroom 'candelarbra', and they were expensive 'cold' and give out almost no
light at all now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 May, 20:37, John wrote:
About a year ago I thought we should try and be energy efficient so I
replaced (as the incandescent ones died) the 8 candle bulbs

I've got CFL candles in the bedroom (slow, dim) but for the lounge I
couldn't tolerate either, and there's a dimmer there that we do use
for watching TV, so I didn't go for CFLs but stuck with
incandescents. I've since replaced these with adapters from Bell
lamps that convert an SBC fitting to take a G9 halogen with a glass
globe over the top to keep it looking like a candle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Andy Dingley writes
On 21 May, 20:37, John wrote:
About a year ago I thought we should try and be energy efficient so I
replaced (as the incandescent ones died) the 8 candle bulbs

I've got CFL candles in the bedroom (slow, dim) but for the lounge I
couldn't tolerate either, and there's a dimmer there that we do use
for watching TV, so I didn't go for CFLs but stuck with
incandescents. I've since replaced these with adapters from Bell
lamps that convert an SBC fitting to take a G9 halogen with a glass
globe over the top to keep it looking like a candle.

What sort of lamp life do you get?

We have twin SBC candles (25W) in two wall fittings in our lounge. Opal
candles are getting rarer and they don't last overlong. Because of the
wall mounting, clear glass gives filament patterns on the wall and
annoys the boss. I imagine G9 25W is going to be far too bright.

Do you get a colour change when dimming halogens?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 May, 19:22, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
Andy Dingley writes

On 21 May, 20:37, John wrote:
About a year ago I thought we should try and be energy efficient so I
replaced (as the incandescent ones died) the 8 candle bulbs

I've got CFL candles in the bedroom (slow, dim) but for the lounge I
couldn't tolerate either, and there's a dimmer there that we do use
for watching TV, so I didn't go for CFLs but stuck with
incandescents. *I've since replaced these with adapters from Bell
lamps that convert an SBC fitting to take a G9 halogen with a glass
globe over the top to keep it looking like a candle.

What sort of lamp life do you get?

We have twin SBC candles (25W) in two wall fittings in our lounge. Opal
candles are getting rarer and they don't last overlong. Because of the
wall mounting, clear glass gives filament patterns on the wall and
annoys the boss. I imagine G9 25W is going to be far too bright.

Get G( in 20W eco versions and 10W commonly, 240V UK versions for
prefernce not 230V Euro ones

Do you get a colour change when dimming halogens?

Warms up, colour temp shifts down the way, goes warm , perfect for
wall mounted candles usually, extends lamp life as well.

Cheers
Adam

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Adam Aglionby writes

We have twin SBC candles (25W) in two wall fittings in our lounge. Opal
candles are getting rarer and they don't last overlong. Because of the
wall mounting, clear glass gives filament patterns on the wall and
annoys the boss. I imagine G9 25W is going to be far too bright.

Get G( in 20W eco versions and 10W commonly, 240V UK versions for
prefernce not 230V Euro ones

Ah! I'm a long way behind the curve on lighting developments. The
plethora of acronyms denoting something newer and better are rather
daunting. Perhaps I should get out mo-)

Do you get a colour change when dimming halogens?

Warms up, colour temp shifts down the way, goes warm , perfect for
wall mounted candles usually, extends lamp life as well.

OK Ta.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 May, 09:09, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
Adam Aglionby writes

We have twin SBC candles (25W) in two wall fittings in our lounge. Opal
candles are getting rarer and they don't last overlong. Because of the
wall mounting, clear glass gives filament patterns on the wall and
annoys the boss. I imagine G9 25W is going to be far too bright.

Get G( in 20W eco versions and 10W commonly, 240V UK versions for
prefernce not 230V Euro ones

Ah! I'm a long way behind the curve on lighting developments. The
plethora of acronyms denoting something newer and better are rather
daunting. Perhaps I should get out mo-)

G9 is probably more common than G( ;-)
Mains voltage capsules share some lifteime issues with GU10...

20W is IR reflective envelope version equivalent to 25W and alot more
expensive, if its just for glow stick 10s in.

Euro lamps are for nominal 230V genuine UK market lamps are 240V it
makes a diffrence to lifespan.

Do you get a colour change when dimming halogens?

Warms up, colour temp shifts down the way, goes warm , perfect for
wall mounted candles usually, extends lamp life as well.

OK Ta.

Get the goldie looking globes from Bell as well.

Cheers
Adam

regards

--
Tim Lamb

low energy bulbs again - how low energy? Mike Scott UK diy 163 January 29th 08 03:31 PM
R63 Low Energy Bulbs Charles Ping UK diy 7 July 24th 07 04:24 PM
Comparison of Low Energy bulbs (was Compulsory low-energy light-bulbs) Derek Geldard UK diy 1 March 16th 07 04:52 PM
candle bulbs Mackem UK diy 8 November 27th 06 07:38 PM
Low Energy Bulbs Mark Carver UK diy 4 February 5th 06 01:45 PM