Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default candle bulbs

We've got a couple of chandelier lights that take normal BC candle bulbs.

There's a white plastic shroud, with immitation candle grease running down,
that fits over the bulb holders but after a few years these harden, crack
and disintegrate. They are about one and a half inches diameter and 3" long.

I've tried several larger stores that used to carry these years ago but now
they don't (e.g. John Lewis )

I've tried searching on Google without success but this maybe because I
don't know the proper name for these things.

Does anybody know what these things are called and where I can buy them?

Any help appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 00:03:30 -0000, "Mackem" wrote:

We've got a couple of chandelier lights that take normal BC candle bulbs.

There's a white plastic shroud, with immitation candle grease running down,
that fits over the bulb holders but after a few years these harden, crack
and disintegrate. They are about one and a half inches diameter and 3" long.

I've tried several larger stores that used to carry these years ago but now
they don't (e.g. John Lewis )

I've tried searching on Google without success but this maybe because I
don't know the proper name for these things.

Does anybody know what these things are called and where I can buy them?

Christopher Wray used to do them. In fact they may still do, but their
website isn't easy to search nowadays.

http://www.christopherwray.com/

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mackem wrote:
We've got a couple of chandelier lights that take normal BC candle bulbs.

There's a white plastic shroud, with immitation candle grease running down,
that fits over the bulb holders but after a few years these harden, crack
and disintegrate. They are about one and a half inches diameter and 3" long.

I've tried several larger stores that used to carry these years ago but now
they don't (e.g. John Lewis )

I've tried searching on Google without success but this maybe because I
don't know the proper name for these things.

Does anybody know what these things are called and where I can buy them?

"Short lived, obsolete, custoimer service nightmare, plastic tubes wot
look like candles, thankfully discontinued?"

Any help appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mackem wrote:
We've got a couple of chandelier lights that take normal BC candle bulbs.

There's a white plastic shroud, with immitation candle grease running down,
that fits over the bulb holders but after a few years these harden, crack
and disintegrate. They are about one and a half inches diameter and 3" long.

I've tried several larger stores that used to carry these years ago but now
they don't (e.g. John Lewis )

I've tried searching on Google without success but this maybe because I
don't know the proper name for these things.

Does anybody know what these things are called and where I can buy them?

Any help appreciated.

Properly called Candle Tubes

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Lamps-and-L...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Not my store.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mackem wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who responded.
Googling "candle tubes" does bring up a few suppliers but with postage they
work out quite expensive, for what they are.
In the end I bought a 2m length of white Marley 32mm waste pipe and cut
this into 3" lengths. So I got the 16 pieces I needed for less than £2,
rather than £50+ by mail order.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:58:09 -0000 someone who may be "Mackem"
wrote this:-

Googling "candle tubes" does bring up a few suppliers but with postage they
work out quite expensive, for what they are.

They are also called candle drips.

Of course they are expensive for what they are. They are things for
visual appearance that serve no useful function.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from David Hansen contains these words:

Of course they are expensive for what they are. They are things for
visual appearance that serve no useful function.

So /that/'s why the government costs so much!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
"Staffbull" writes:
Mackem wrote:
Thanks to all who responded.
Googling "candle tubes" does bring up a few suppliers but with postage they
work out quite expensive, for what they are.
In the end I bought a 2m length of white Marley 32mm waste pipe and cut
this into 3" lengths. So I got the 16 pieces I needed for less than £2,
rather than £50+ by mail order.

Wont it melt ?

Then it would look more realistic ;-)

Seriously, I wouldn't put PVC or ABS that near a lamp.
The real things are made from a thermosetting plastic.

--
Andrew Gabriel

candle cups Bob Daun Woodturning 19 December 22nd 05 11:38 PM
COTTAGE CANDLE J T Woodworking 0 December 1st 05 03:27 PM
CANDLE STAND J T Woodworking 0 November 1st 05 05:20 AM
candle holders [email protected] Woodturning 4 September 3rd 05 11:07 PM
Candle Stick Holders Keith Young Woodturning 3 October 30th 04 01:54 PM