Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reliable 3-Port valve actuator?

Is there such a thing? If so, does anyone have one they know to have run
trouble free for say 3 years: if so what make is it?

Our current one is a Honeywell, and is very rickety inside. I recently had
to look at the micro-switches and even found that one of them had even been
assembled with the contacts twisted! Even after straightening the contacts
getting the thing to balance properly again was very fiddly, as all the
springs and cams and the like are thin and wobbly, and it even changes as
the mounting screws are tightened. Thus it is now stuck in the mid position
again. This is the third actuator we have had. The first was a Potterton
and quite sturdily made, but its backing plate was brittle and broke when I
went to replace the contacts. The replacement newer Potterton only lasted
about a year, before needing new contacts. Next time I went for the
Honeywell, which has, as above proven to be expensive rubbish.

Are there any good ones out there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"spamlet" wrote in message
[...]

Oops sorry: looking again, the second one we had was a Danfoss.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 21 May,
"spamlet" wrote:

Are there any good ones out there?

IME no. I've ended up changing to two port valves. They seem much more
reliable (10+years rather than 6 months)

--
B Thumbs

Sadly I don't feel up to any substantial replumbing at the mo: especially as
plumber has recently tapped the system with some new pipes for an upstairs
shower and routed them right in front of the pipes I'd need to get at...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that spamlet formulated :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
wrote :
On 21 May, "spamlet" wrote:

Are there any good ones out there?

IME no. I've ended up changing to two port valves. They seem much more
reliable (10+years rather than 6 months)

Nothing at all wrong with the actual valve, just the actuator design which
lets it so badly down. It simply needs someone to design something more
robust, which has the motor move the valve to the correct position then
stop - rather than the motor constantly oscillating on the microswitches
against the spring. Surprisingly, I have not seen a DIY replacement
actuator yet, but it doesn't look at all difficult to do.

-- Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

There's a job for you Harry: sign me up for one when you've sussed it!
I would imagine that while they have us over a barrel knowing we have to buy
new every other year, there is not much incentive to come up with a different
design.

There is a rather good web site somewhere which explains their
principle of operation and how to repair them.

It needs something like a tiny DC motor (to provide forward and reverse
motion), geared down to provide the torque, a two lobe cam to trigger
the two micro-switches - then a timer circuit to run it back to the
default position.

Even an electrically operated brake, which held the position and turned
off the motor - would be a major improvement on the existing botch of a
continual rocking motion.

Food for thought.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :
wrote :
On 21 May, "spamlet" wrote:

[...]

More food here...

http://www.seered.co.uk/sunvic.htm

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spamlet laid this down on his screen :
there is not much incentive to come up with a different design.

It seems they may have...

http://www.sunvic.co.uk/momo_valves.htm

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 May 2010 15:48:02 +0100, spamlet wrote:

[...]

When we were doing boilerhouse panels we provided a lot of Landis &
Staefa (previously Landis & Gyr) and Sunvic valve actuators. We didn't
often get any problems. Mind you, the 3-port ones were often of the true
"proportional" type, with a feedback pot, and didn't use a motor-against-
spring system. I've no experience of current designs as we stopped doing
boilerhouse controls some years ago.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
wrote :
On 21 May, "spamlet" wrote:

[...]

They used to manufacture 3 port valve actuator heads which would drive
to the correct position and then stop as the respective microswitch
opened, but they don't seem to be available any more

however, the synchron motors are quite cheap (I can get them for about
£7 locally or I could get them at £3 each if I bought 1000)

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"spamlet" writes:
Is there such a thing? If so, does anyone have one they know to have run
trouble free for say 3 years: if so what make is it?

Of the heating systems I maintain in various family members' homes,
I've never had one fail. (They're all mid position values.)

GBMVSP-23 (British Gas - don't know who makes it):
Somewhere between 10 and 20 years old.

Lifestyle (is that Drayton?):
11 years old.

Landis and Staefa:
7 years old.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote :
On 21 May, "spamlet" wrote:

[...]

Yes: its on one of the UK-DIY faq pages and I've linked to it in earlier
threads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
wrote :
On 21 May, "spamlet" wrote:

[...]

Yes, I've changed one before, but it is usually the microswitches that go
first, and then cause the motor to be on all the time, so just changing a
burnt out motor is quite likely to disappoint if the switches are not done
at the same time. The motors are quite similar to the ones on microwave
turntables.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
spamlet laid this down on his screen :
there is not much incentive to come up with a different design.

It seems they may have...

http://www.sunvic.co.uk/momo_valves.htm

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Cheers Harry, I had forgotten about Sunvic - although part of our control
system is made by them.

Looks like the momo equivalent of the Danfoss is:

SDM 1901 - 3 Port Actuator £77.28

Pricey. but possibly worth it if it avoids all the hassle.

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"spamlet" writes:
Is there such a thing? If so, does anyone have one they know to have run
trouble free for say 3 years: if so what make is it?

Of the heating systems I maintain in various family members' homes,
I've never had one fail. (They're all mid position values.)

GBMVSP-23 (British Gas - don't know who makes it):
Somewhere between 10 and 20 years old.

Lifestyle (is that Drayton?):
11 years old.

Landis and Staefa:
7 years old.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks: I've not come across those types yet.

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"spamlet" writes:
Is there such a thing? If so, does anyone have one they know to have run
trouble free for say 3 years: if so what make is it?

Of the heating systems I maintain in various family members' homes,
I've never had one fail. (They're all mid position values.)

GBMVSP-23 (British Gas - don't know who makes it):
Somewhere between 10 and 20 years old.

Lifestyle (is that Drayton?):
11 years old.

Landis and Staefa:
7 years old.

Actually that's wrong, must be 8-9 years old.

Thanks: I've not come across those types yet.

Go to a heating/plumbers merchant.
B&Q did keep the Lifestyle range, although that was in the days
before they made way for the cushions, but will still be much
cheaper from a plumbers merchant.

Landis and Staefa - I think they were bought by Siemens.
That's the only one I actually bought, and as I am controlling
it by a computer rather than conventional boiler/thermostat
controls, I had to work out exactly how to drive it. I had a
chat with someone in Landis and Staefa (or may have been whoever
bought them) who was incredible helpful and explained in detail
how to drive it. It's used as a zone valve to switch between
upstairs and downstairs heating zones.

I don't use the end-stop microswitch, so if that died, I wouldn't
notice. I did use it as a feedback control to confirm to the
computer that the valve was working initially, but I ran out of
spare computer inputs for other things so that extra test got
dropped.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"spamlet" writes:
[...]

Phew! It's really impressive the things some of you guys are able to take
on. I'm afraid that with electronic stuff, I find, if I stare at it long
enough I can just about get a vague enough idea to see which part of it has
gone wrong, but as for designing my own stuff from scratch, and running it
off a computer, I think my head would probably explode! Are there any brain
upgraders out there I wonder?!

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , spamlet
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
wrote :
On 21 May, "spamlet" wrote:

[...]

Yes, I've changed one before,

I've repaired hundreds

but it is usually the microswitches that go
first,

It depends on the make actually, believe it or not

for some reason Drayton heads seem particularly prone to microswitch
burnouts, irrespexctive of the uswitch make

Sorry, that's ********

The motors are quite similar to the ones on microwave
turntables.

.... Or exactly the same as the ones sold specifically for the task

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , spamlet
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
wrote :
On 21 May, "spamlet" wrote:

[...]

Well ******** or not that is what happened when I took my first one apart.
Motor was dead; replaced it and found it was on all the time; then opened up
microswitches and found one of them burnt out; replaced switch; motor no
longer on all the time. All ok for a year or so till switches burnt out
again. From other comments frequent in these columns this is quite
'normal'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 May 2010 02:13:07 +0100, spamlet wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message

http://www.sunvic.co.uk/momo_valves.htm

Cheers Harry, I had forgotten about Sunvic - although part of our control
system is made by them.

Looks like the momo equivalent of the Danfoss is:

SDM 1901 - 3 Port Actuator £77.28

Pricey. but possibly worth it if it avoids all the hassle.

I use the SDMV2304 3-port valve which is a drop-in replacement for
normal Honeywell-et-al valves, wiring wise, and are about £50 at B&Q.

There's a website run by someone who's disgruntled with these sorts of
valves as he says the electronics fails, due to high voltage spikes on the
mains I think, but I've never had it happen to any of the ones I've fitted.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

The rain, it rains upon the Just, and on the Unjust fella
But more upon the Just because the Unjust's got the Just's umbrella
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 May 2010 22:01:55 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

... For spring return from mid position, there's a
resistor to leak a tiny AC current through the motor to
degauss the yoke after it's been locked with a DC field.

Ah! is that what it's for?!

I always wondered.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Who's *really* behind all these conspiracy theories?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 May 2010 02:13:07 +0100, spamlet wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message

http://www.sunvic.co.uk/momo_valves.htm

Cheers Harry, I had forgotten about Sunvic - although part of our control
system is made by them.

Looks like the momo equivalent of the Danfoss is:

SDM 1901 - 3 Port Actuator £77.28

Pricey. but possibly worth it if it avoids all the hassle.

I use the SDMV2304 3-port valve which is a drop-in replacement for
normal Honeywell-et-al valves, wiring wise, and are about £50 at B&Q.

There's a website run by someone who's disgruntled with these sorts of
valves as he says the electronics fails, due to high voltage spikes on the
mains I think, but I've never had it happen to any of the ones I've
fitted.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Well thanks for that John, it certainly looks promising and in some places
surprisingly cheap:

http://www.buyaparcel.com/pageview.p...ode =SDMV2304

However, I'm a bit confused as, although the various ads say it fits into
existing systems with no need to change pipework or controls, I can find no
pictures of the actuator on its own - so the implication is, it has it's own
dedicated valve. There are other pictures of actuators of the same make but
none look like the one pictured on the valve and they have several different
numbers of wires. Can anyone clear up this confusion? Do I have to buy the
whole thing and then just put the actuator on my old valve, or is this not
going to work? This 'buyaparcel' lot looks too good to be true if it's the
real momo deal!

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
wrote :
On 21 May, "spamlet" wrote:

[...]

I'm somewhat confused about some of the comments so far. I have a
Honeywell 3 Port which I had to replace recently after 10 years of
service. It was itself a replacement for one that was 15 years old when
it died.

Anyway, the motor head had worn out its gears and research revealed the
downside of the system when used in my CH/HW setup. My CH timer is on
24/7 and the control is via a programmable thermostat in the living
room. I was shocked to learn that this invariably left the motor sitting
in the CH position with the full 240 volts applied to the motor so, I
devised a simple fix using a relay which returns the motor to the rest
position when the HW and CH thermostats are no longer calling for the
boiler.

My main confusion is with the "hunting" or "rocking motion" mentioned
and presumably this refers to the centre position i.e. HW and CH on, as
I have no such motion on my control head.

The motor moves to the central position, hunts once to find the second
microswitch and then sits there with no further movement.

--
Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil" wrote in message ...
In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
wrote :
On 21 May, "spamlet" wrote:

[...]

I'm no expert on the electronics: just the faults. Possibly with your mod
the contacts last longer, but when they get burnt the motor can be heard
hunting and the pop pop pop each time it hits the contact can be picked up
on any radio you have near the device. Mine has just gone again: which will
be about three actuators and two sets of replacement contacts now. As yet I
haven't decided on what to buy this time. The 'momo' type has been
suggested, but no one has enlightened me yet as to whether a momo actuator
can be bought separately and directly replace the current spring type.