Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crabtree, Marbo, MK, Volex, BG, Contactum, Telco, OEM etc - which sockets + switches to choose?

"David Robinson" wrote in message
Complete re-wire.

I don't like the look of the MK range - I just want simple square flat
white fittings.

I don't want the switches to fail.
I don't want the sockets to be so stiff you can't get plugs in+out.
I want the rear terminals to grip 2 or 3 cores of 2.5mm T+E properly.

so what is the best and cheapest choice for the rest
of it?

Cheers,
David.

Rewired three years ago and went through same decision making progress. I
ordered one item each from half a dozen manufacturers, for technical
assessment and "household approval".

Decided on Crabtree for:

Mid price, "classic" appearance, good terminals, and apparent solid
construction. Sensible spring tension on sockets, and positive but not
overloud switches. Also Crabtree don't seem to change design too often, so
further purchases to match are possible (hopefully) in the future.

Appearance is basic square, with slightly rounded corners and edges, with
switch toggles slightly concave. Colour is trending more towards cream than
bright white. Good range of less common accessories.

No failures in three years so far, and no signs of cooked contacts or
sockets - but I would hope for much longer life than this anyway.

TLC don't do Crabtree (I think), but Screwfix often have offers on 13A
sockets, and stock most other options. Double pole switches on the sockets
cost almost no more, so this is probably a useful option.

The fittings I replaced were Crabtree too, with almost 40 years of service
from newbuild, and apart from some slightly vague switch actions were all
still OK - the best have ended up installed in the garage for now.

Best of luck with your choice,

Charles F