Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quality of different brands (MK, Crabtree, Volex & Marbo)

I'm looking at buying various switches and sockets and was wondering
about the quality of different brands. I am very familar with MK but
have only really heard of Crabtree, Volex and Marbo. I normally buy MK
because I know they are good quality but we do not like the styling ot
the Logic Plus range. So I was wondering about the other brands. I
know they are all Electrium brands which are owned by Siemens. So I
was wondering if there was really a difference between them. The
reason I ask is that I've got a credit note from B&Q and they only
Marbo in the items I want. Otherwise I would have to go to my local
Edmumdson's or Screwfix for Crabtree or Volex.

Many thanks for your help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Distorted Vision wrote:

I'm looking at buying various switches and sockets and was wondering
about the quality of different brands. I am very familar with MK but
have only really heard of Crabtree, Volex and Marbo. I normally buy MK
because I know they are good quality but we do not like the styling ot
the Logic Plus range. So I was wondering about the other brands. I
know they are all Electrium brands which are owned by Siemens. So I
was wondering if there was really a difference between them. The
reason I ask is that I've got a credit note from B&Q and they only
Marbo in the items I want. Otherwise I would have to go to my local
Edmumdson's or Screwfix for Crabtree or Volex.

Many thanks for your help.

Ashley & Crabtree are the best imho. MK trail well behind. The cheap
makes I dont really know.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Distorted Vision coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm looking at buying various switches and sockets and was wondering
about the quality of different brands. I am very familar with MK but
have only really heard of Crabtree, Volex and Marbo. I normally buy MK
because I know they are good quality but we do not like the styling ot
the Logic Plus range. So I was wondering about the other brands. I
know they are all Electrium brands which are owned by Siemens. So I
was wondering if there was really a difference between them. The
reason I ask is that I've got a credit note from B&Q and they only
Marbo in the items I want. Otherwise I would have to go to my local
Edmumdson's or Screwfix for Crabtree or Volex.

Many thanks for your help.

GET seems good - I've tried their Ultimate plastic sockets and the terminals
are decent, and the styling more sleek than MK Logic Plus.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks. I didn't realise that Crabtree was better than MK. I've
always thought they were the best.

Tim, can you please tell me where I can buy GET?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Distorted Vision wrote:
I'm looking at buying various switches and sockets and was wondering
about the quality of different brands. I am very familar with MK but
have only really heard of Crabtree, Volex and Marbo. I normally buy MK
because I know they are good quality but we do not like the styling ot
the Logic Plus range. So I was wondering about the other brands. I
know they are all Electrium brands which are owned by Siemens. So I
was wondering if there was really a difference between them. The
reason I ask is that I've got a credit note from B&Q and they only
Marbo in the items I want. Otherwise I would have to go to my local
Edmumdson's or Screwfix for Crabtree or Volex.

Many thanks for your help.

In general anything bought from a reputable source will be ok in normal
use. So it really comes down to taste. I'm quite partial to these:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...dex/index.html

--
*Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:40:37 -0800 (PST), Distorted Vision wrote:

I'm looking at buying various switches and sockets and was wondering
about the quality of different brands. I am very familar with MK but
have only really heard of Crabtree, Volex and Marbo. I normally buy MK
because I know they are good quality but we do not like the styling ot
the Logic Plus range. So I was wondering about the other brands. I
know they are all Electrium brands which are owned by Siemens. So I
was wondering if there was really a difference between them. The
reason I ask is that I've got a credit note from B&Q and they only
Marbo in the items I want. Otherwise I would have to go to my local
Edmumdson's or Screwfix for Crabtree or Volex.

Many thanks for your help.

I've got Volex (9000 range) pretty well throughout the house - free samples
and all have been fine for fifteen years now.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Distorted Vision coughed up some electrons that declared:

Many thanks. I didn't realise that Crabtree was better than MK. I've
always thought they were the best.

Tim, can you please tell me where I can buy GET?

TLC, if you have a branch.

or

http://www.rbstaronline.co.uk/acatal...c_Sockets.html

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:
In general anything bought from a reputable source will be ok in normal
use. So it really comes down to taste. I'm quite partial to these:-

Although stay away from B&Q generic plates. I tried one and the terminals
were utter rubbish - stick 3 wires in and half the time one would fall out
after tightening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:00:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Distorted Vision wrote:

I'm looking at buying various switches and sockets and was wondering
about the quality of different brands. I am very familar with MK but
have only really heard of Crabtree, Volex and Marbo. I normally buy MK
because I know they are good quality but we do not like the styling ot
the Logic Plus range. So I was wondering about the other brands. I
know they are all Electrium brands which are owned by Siemens. So I
was wondering if there was really a difference between them. The
reason I ask is that I've got a credit note from B&Q and they only
Marbo in the items I want. Otherwise I would have to go to my local
Edmumdson's or Screwfix for Crabtree or Volex.

Many thanks for your help.

Ashley & Crabtree are the best imho. MK trail well behind. The cheap
makes I dont really know.

NT

Out of interest, why does MK trail - it always seems to be pushed as Good
Quality?
I've just used a Crabtree pull-switch and it's well made.

Ashley & Crabtree I've always found reliable, well thought out, very
robust, and with good attention to detail. FWIW Ashley also innovated
a much better live pin contact protection system than MK's, but MK's
sleeved pin approach won the day.

MK I've had an acceptable but significant failure rate with, and
they've realeased various ideas without sufficient testing that have
proven to be problems. 2 examples are
- sleeved pin plugs, which when we first had them consistently
overheated and melted on sustained 13A loads.
- press-in cordgrips, which failed to do one of the basic jobs of a
cordgrip, to prevent cable terminations moving about, resulting in an
increase in connection problems, which are of course a fire risk.

MK were the first large company to produce safety sockets (multi-
kontakt), but that was a long time ago, and their designs have caused
more issues than I would like.

The leccies at work liked Wylex but not Volex, but that was 20 years ago so
might be different now.

Wylex are famous for their old fuseboxes, which were backward on
safety levels in the 80s. Volex I have too little experience with to
say anything useful.

At the scary end of the scale, anyone remember clix plugs, or even
worse those insulation piercing plugs?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
Distorted Vision wrote:

I'm looking at buying various switches and sockets and was wondering
about the quality of different brands. I am very familar with MK but
have only really heard of Crabtree, Volex and Marbo. I normally buy MK
because I know they are good quality but we do not like the styling ot
the Logic Plus range. So I was wondering about the other brands. I
know they are all Electrium brands which are owned by Siemens. So I
was wondering if there was really a difference between them. The
reason I ask is that I've got a credit note from B&Q and they only
Marbo in the items I want. Otherwise I would have to go to my local
Edmumdson's or Screwfix for Crabtree or Volex.

Many thanks for your help.

Ashley & Crabtree are the best imho. MK trail well behind. The cheap
makes I dont really know.

I've always found MK to be the best (never had burnout with high
current loads, and their parts are exceptionally well designed
for ease of fitting, for which they've constantly lead in the
industry). This applies to the things they design and make, but
the parts like CU's which they buy in, I've not been so impressed
with recently (they used to be better ~20 years ago).
I've had similar comments about Crabtree quality from others with
enough experence to make valid comments (but not personal
experience as I personally tend not to like the aethetics of their
ranges for my use).

Had several Ashley and Volex fail with high current loads (they
tend to be what gets used when a builder buys cheapest), and had
GET simply wear out and fall apart rather quickly.

Of course, people can only tell you about the quality of parts
purchased some years ago, and that may not apply to something
you buy tomorrow. YMMV...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Distorted Vision wrote:

[...]

What are Superswitch like on quality? I've fitted a 2-gang 2-way
switchplate nad it seeme alright. Also nicely rounded, so no sharp corners,
and quiet but perhaps a bit 'light'-feeling on operation.

http://tinyurl.com/bh3sxt
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

and had
GET simply wear out and fall apart rather quickly.

Hi Andrew - I'd be interested in some info on this. Was your observation
based on the odd one or a lot?

Just before I go and place a large order at TLC you see...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Distorted Vision
saying something like:

Many thanks for your help.

I've been using Click sockets and switches, which are in imo every bit
as good as MK and half the price.

http://www.alertelectrical.com/Wirin...g-Accessories/

My local wholesaler has been pushing the Curva range to good effect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I've always found MK to be the best (never had burnout with high
current loads, and their parts are exceptionally well designed
for ease of fitting, for which they've constantly lead in the
industry).

If only they weren't so ugly. ;-) Their grid switch range looks like Lucas
circa '70 found on Marinas...

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember Distorted Vision
saying something like:

Many thanks for your help.

I've been using Click sockets and switches, which are in imo every bit
as good as MK and half the price.

http://www.alertelectrical.com/Wirin...g-Accessories/

My local wholesaler has been pushing the Curva range to good effect.

All products tend to change as manufacturing innovations influence the
design (DFM / DFA - Design for Manufacture / Assembly). Also buyers might go
to alternative sources of manufacture or change materials.

Surely a factor to consider is whether matching items will be around when
you do some changes and if the range offers all the fitments you need
(What - no Intermediate Switch)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S writes:
Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

and had
GET simply wear out and fall apart rather quickly.

Hi Andrew - I'd be interested in some info on this. Was your observation
based on the odd one or a lot?

Just before I go and place a large order at TLC you see...

Based on high failure rate in a small sample (I've used very little
of their stuff).

Their gridswitch equivalent fits 3 switches into a 1 gang plate,
so I use them when I want to do that. The switches fall to bits
after a few years (and I'm only using them to switch 12V 1mA input
to a home automation system, so that's a mechanical failure, not
electrical). I've also replaced a socket in someone else's house
where the switch had fallen to bits (in a different way).

So the sample is probably too small to be significant, but at
least concerning.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Distorted Vision wrote:
I'm looking at buying various switches and sockets and was wondering
about the quality of different brands. I am very familar with MK but
have only really heard of Crabtree, Volex and Marbo. I normally buy MK
because I know they are good quality but we do not like the styling ot
the Logic Plus range. So I was wondering about the other brands. I
know they are all Electrium brands which are owned by Siemens. So I
was wondering if there was really a difference between them. The
reason I ask is that I've got a credit note from B&Q and they only
Marbo in the items I want. Otherwise I would have to go to my local
Edmumdson's or Screwfix for Crabtree or Volex.

Many thanks for your help.

About half the Volex plug sockets in my house have faulty switches -
stuck in the on or off position. And the other half feel as if they're
going that way. Almost certainly less than 10 years old.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 03:02:28 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Ashley & Crabtree I've always found reliable, well thought out, very
robust, and with good attention to detail. FWIW Ashley also innovated
a much better live pin contact protection system than MK's, but MK's
sleeved pin approach won the day.

How did they come up with a better "live pin contact protection
system" than sleeved pins?

MK I've had an acceptable but significant failure rate with, and
they've realeased various ideas without sufficient testing that have
proven to be problems. 2 examples are
- sleeved pin plugs, which when we first had them consistently
overheated and melted on sustained 13A loads.
- press-in cordgrips, which failed to do one of the basic jobs of a
cordgrip, to prevent cable terminations moving about, resulting in an
increase in connection problems, which are of course a fire risk.

I've never ever had a problem with the press in cordgrip, nor with
overheating using MK plugs in use across many hundreds of appliances
in industrial applications. Most were low wattage appliances but
there were many 2 or 3kW electric heaters and very large office fans -
with four on the go it was not far off standing behinds a Lancaster.

Anything that came in for repair or test more or less automatically
got a new MK plug fitted - they were so popular we even had a large
batch produced with our own logo on the cover to try and prevent
'wastage' - it didn't work as a bit of scotchbrite removed it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
Distorted Vision wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the standard of sockets is being reduced to make us feel more
inclined to go with the European standards!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 03:02:28 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Ashley & Crabtree I've always found reliable, well thought out, very
robust, and with good attention to detail. FWIW Ashley also innovated
a much better live pin contact protection system than MK's, but MK's
sleeved pin approach won the day.

How did they come up with a better "live pin contact protection
system" than sleeved pins?

The Ashley system was to use an embedded switch operated by the plug
pins. The socket only switched on when the plug was fully home, if it
came out a couple of mm it switched off. It protected against plug pin
touch, and also against overheating or arcing due to plugs coming part
way out. And it didnt affect the plug ampacity.

MK I've had an acceptable but significant failure rate with, and
they've realeased various ideas without sufficient testing that have
proven to be problems. 2 examples are
- sleeved pin plugs, which when we first had them consistently
overheated and melted on sustained 13A loads.
- press-in cordgrips, which failed to do one of the basic jobs of a
cordgrip, to prevent cable terminations moving about, resulting in an
increase in connection problems, which are of course a fire risk.

I've never ever had a problem with the press in cordgrip, nor with
overheating using MK plugs in use across many hundreds of appliances
in industrial applications. Most were low wattage appliances but
there were many 2 or 3kW electric heaters and very large office fans -

I wonder why - we did, repeatedly.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Had several Ashley and Volex fail with high current loads (they
tend to be what gets used when a builder buys cheapest), and had
GET simply wear out and fall apart rather quickly.

Trying to remember when I've ever replaced a failed or worn out accessory.
Of course a jobbing electrician will see this more often. Most
domestically get replaced for cosmetic reasons.

--
*If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Had several Ashley and Volex fail with high current loads (they
tend to be what gets used when a builder buys cheapest), and had
GET simply wear out and fall apart rather quickly.

Trying to remember when I've ever replaced a failed or worn out accessory.
Of course a jobbing electrician will see this more often. Most
domestically get replaced for cosmetic reasons.

I've never needed to replace any parts I've bought and fitted,
but that's because I buy good quality parts in the first place
(with the exception of the previously mentioned GET gridswitch
parts, which I still buy for 12V use only, but I treat as
consumables).

I have however replaced quite a number that were previously
there when I moved in, or in other peoples' houses.

Even thinking of my parents house which is 50 years old,
fortunately wired with PVC T&E and with nearly all MK wiring
accessories, it has had only one of the original MK parts fail,
which was a light switch which wore out. (Also the original
Wylex wired CU started burning out, and I replaced it 10 years
ago, when I rewired their kitchen due to new kitchen being
fitted). Other than that, all the MK wiring and accessories
are original, and still in perfect working order.

When I moved into my first house in 1986, it had been
professional rewired in 1974, but just about every socket
outlet was knackered. Some of this was down to faulty plugs
from previous occupants which had damaged the sockets, but
a lot of it was down to buying the cheapest, I suspect.
Fortunately all the wiring behind was fine, although over
the years, I think I gradually replaced it all as I tackled
the decoration of each area of the house and properly fitted
more outlets into the ring, and eventually split the ring
into multiple separate rings, new CU, etc.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Distorted Vision wrote:

[...]

I think it depends where you buy it. B&Q, for example, seem to squeeze the
manufacturers so that the same MK product from them is far inferior to one from
someone else (at a little more cost). Dimmer switches are a case in point. I've
had two dimmer switches of the exact same model apart - one from B&Q and one
from an independent. The heat sink was smaller, and there were some surge
protection components missing from the B&Q model.

-- JJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason coughed up some electrons that declared:

I think it depends where you buy it. B&Q, for example, seem to squeeze the
manufacturers so that the same MK product from them is far inferior to one
from someone else (at a little more cost). Dimmer switches are a case in
point. I've had two dimmer switches of the exact same model apart - one
from B&Q and one from an independent. The heat sink was smaller, and there
were some surge protection components missing from the B&Q model.

To quote the Shamen: "Naughty naughty, very very naughty"...

I've been re-evaluating things and am looking at Crabtree more now. Pity -
GET had some very modular items, like grid light switches that would take a
mixture of remote-button dimmers and normal switches - and also a range of
20A DP grid switches with annotated removable rocker covers, so if you
swapped the dishwasher and fridge, you could swap the rocker covers on the
isolators rather than move the plate.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 20:42:35 +0000, Jason wrote:

I think it depends where you buy it. B&Q, for example, seem to squeeze
the manufacturers so that the same MK product from them is far inferior
to one from someone else (at a little more cost). Dimmer switches are a
case in point. I've had two dimmer switches of the exact same model
apart - one from B&Q and one from an independent. The heat sink was
smaller, and there were some surge protection components missing from
the B&Q model.

*Exact* same model number of the packaging? How about the bar code?

B&Q do seem to be getting quite adept at walking just down the legal side
of the line between illegal and legal. See the thread about kitchen unit
pricing. Also take a look at the Karcher pressure washers in B&Q, you
won't find them anywhere else or on the Karcher website. This gets 'em out
the price match promise as you can't get the same product anywhere else,
not illegal but not honourable IMHO.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:14:59 -0000, John wrote:

-------------------8
Perhaps the standard of sockets is being reduced to make us feel more
inclined to go with the European standards!

There are zealots who will prevent that. As it is, we have to continue
using plugs capable of serving a 3-bar electric fire (must be pretty rare
these days) to connect appliances that draw bugger-all current.
And before you leap in (you kow who you are ;-), I _do_ understand the
implications of fuse positioning in the circuit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 06:37:48 +0000, Appelation Controlee wrote:

As it is, we have to continue using plugs capable of serving a 3-bar
electric fire (must be pretty rare these days)

Er, our kettle is 3kW, we have a 2kW fan heater and an oil filled
convector, I forget what that is rated at. The schuko is rated 16A so I'm
not quite sure what your argument is.

I _do_ understand the implications of fuse positioning in the circuit.

So you do know the cost implications of the UK changing to schuko which is
why it isn't going to happen, nothing to do with zealots.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason wrote:

I think it depends where you buy it. B&Q, for example, seem to squeeze the
manufacturers so that the same MK product from them is far inferior to one
from someone else (at a little more cost). Dimmer switches are a case in
point. I've had two dimmer switches of the exact same model apart - one
from B&Q and one from an independent. The heat sink was smaller, and there
were some surge protection components missing from the B&Q model.

Could it be that MK have recently started making the same model to a lower
standard and you bought from B&Q more recently than the from the
independent shop? Even if you bought from the independent more recently
than from B&Q it's quite likely that an item from B&Q is newer because B&Q
probably have a faster stock turnover than the independents.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Appelation Controlee wrote:
There are zealots who will prevent that. As it is, we have to continue
using plugs capable of serving a 3-bar electric fire (must be pretty rare
these days) to connect appliances that draw bugger-all current.
And before you leap in (you kow who you are ;-), I _do_ understand the
implications of fuse positioning in the circuit.

Plenty of high current appliances still in use - washing machines, ovens,
dishwashers, kettles, etc.

You seem to be advocating going back to when there were several different
sizes in use and that - for those who remember it - was a nightmare.

If you do have an area where the size of 13 amp plugs is a problem - like
say a computer installation - there's nothing to stop you using something
smaller. IEC distribution blocks are readily available.

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

If you do have an area where the size of 13 amp plugs is a problem - like
say a computer installation - there's nothing to stop you using something
smaller. IEC distribution blocks are readily available.

There are some nice IEC blocks with individual fuses per outlet too.

The fly in the ointment are the random bits of kit with wall-warts - the
British 13A socket (and the ex British 15A still used in parts of the
world, eg S Africa) and the German Shucko are about the only systems I
reckon are strong enough to cope with those. Hanging them off a weedy 2 pin
just seems like asking for trouble.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Appelation Controlee wrote:
There are zealots who will prevent that. As it is, we have to continue
using plugs capable of serving a 3-bar electric fire (must be pretty rare
these days) to connect appliances that draw bugger-all current.
And before you leap in (you kow who you are ;-), I _do_ understand the
implications of fuse positioning in the circuit.

Plenty of high current appliances still in use - washing machines, ovens,
dishwashers, kettles, etc.

You seem to be advocating going back to when there were several different
sizes in use and that - for those who remember it - was a nightmare.

If you do have an area where the size of 13 amp plugs is a problem - like
say a computer installation - there's nothing to stop you using something
smaller. IEC distribution blocks are readily available.

The mix of 2, 5, 15 and 13 amp plugs was indeed a disaster. (Plus some
odd two pin things.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:14:47 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 06:37:48 +0000, Appelation Controlee wrote:

As it is, we have to continue using plugs capable of serving a 3-bar
electric fire (must be pretty rare these days)

Er, our kettle is 3kW, we have a 2kW fan heater and an oil filled
convector, I forget what that is rated at. The schuko is rated 16A so I'm
not quite sure what your argument is.

That bit was an aside, and poorly thought through - thanks for the
correction. :-)
Most appliances, though, don't load the connection anywhere near its
capability, but we still have to put up with a bloody great claw on the end
of the lead. In the case of portable appliances, this is a bit of a PITA.

I _do_ understand the implications of fuse positioning in the circuit.

So you do know the cost implications of the UK changing to schuko which is
why it isn't going to happen, nothing to do with zealots.

Yes obviously, but most contrary arguments in the past have centred on the
fact that shuko plugs don't incorporate a fuse, thus leaving open the
possibility ... etc., etc...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

There is a solution, one thats fully compatible, safe, and doesnt
cause any extra expense. Its to use fused plugs that are a 2 pin
version of today's bs1363 guage. New sockets would have 2 or 4 extra
holes per socket, enabling the pluggng of one 3 pin device or 2/3 2
pin devices. A 3 pin plug could still be inserted into every socket in
the land.

A note about shutters: new 2 pin plugs would not go into old sockets
that use an earth operated shutter, as many do. Existing sockets that
use a L&N operated shutter would be fine, and new sockets would need
to use this type of shutter.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
[...]

Understood. But what we all really want is any new standard to permit
use across frontiers as well.

We could have a 13A socket (as now) with a secondary socket
incorporated. The Europeans could have a Schuko-style (or similar, as
required), with the same secondary socket. And the US could have their
standard with a secondary socket.

The socket would have an extra connection to permit devices to be wired
for 110-only or 230-only or both.

(If this could be merged with power over Ethernet, we would be laughing!)

Between now and having such sockets fitted, a neat adaptor could be used
- appropriate to each market. (Multi-way adaptors should also be
possible.) But the manufacturers of electrical items would be able to
supply goods with one common plug at the end of the lead or on their
wall warts.

It would be possible to install sockets of the new design only if desired.

We could fuse either the new design secondary sockets or the new plugs.
However, given the desirability of supporting multi-voltage operation,
the socket seems the better location.

Of course, this would only support up to some arbitrary power limit but
it is obvious that the vast majority of devices are low-to-very-low
power consumption.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:10:06 +0000
Tim S wrote:

Distorted Vision coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm looking at buying various switches and sockets and was wondering
about the quality of different brands. I am very familar with MK but
have only really heard of Crabtree, Volex and Marbo. I normally buy MK
because I know they are good quality but we do not like the styling ot
the Logic Plus range. So I was wondering about the other brands. I
know they are all Electrium brands which are owned by Siemens. So I
was wondering if there was really a difference between them. The
reason I ask is that I've got a credit note from B&Q and they only
Marbo in the items I want. Otherwise I would have to go to my local
Edmumdson's or Screwfix for Crabtree or Volex.

Many thanks for your help.

I think you'll find that most of these brands are trade marks of
Electrium. http://www.electrium.co.uk/ So probably all made in the
same factory (in China, no doubt).

I use Crabtree from Screwfix, and have had very few problems. And I
like the styling (so does SWMBO).

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow coughed up some electrons that declared:

I think you'll find that most of these brands are trade marks of
Electrium. http://www.electrium.co.uk/ So probably all made in the
same factory (in China, no doubt).

Well yes, Volex, Crabtree and Wylex are Electrium.

Which doesn't explain why people seem to think Volex is crap and Crabtree is
good..?

Cheers

Tim