Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Primer for Copper

Hi

A quick question... which of the following would be best as a first
paint coat onto oxidised bare copper water pipes?

household oil undercoat
red oxide primer
modeller's enamels
smoothrite
acrylic
emulsion
1 coat marine paint - think its International polyurethane, not sure

There's HCl on site for a quick etch, if that would help, but I doubt
I'll have time to go buy more paints.

thanks, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 15/05/2010 03:03, NT wrote:
Hi

A quick question... which of the following would be best as a first
paint coat onto oxidised bare copper water pipes?

household oil undercoat
red oxide primer
modeller's enamels
smoothrite
acrylic
emulsion
1 coat marine paint - think its International polyurethane, not sure

There's HCl on site for a quick etch, if that would help, but I doubt
I'll have time to go buy more paints.

thanks, NT

I have always managed to get pipes covered by emulsion while painting
the walls. :-)

Works just fine in my experience - but cold water pipes can still
corrode a bit if subject to prolonged condensation. In that case, out of
your list, I'd stick with emulsion but take extra care to undercoat and
topcoat carefully.

Of course, clean thoroughly to get rid of any flux, grease or wax before
any paint.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 May 2010 19:03:53 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

A quick question... which of the following would be best as a first
paint coat onto oxidised bare copper water pipes?

Not emulsion. Did the bare copper pipes in the boiler room with
emulsion, there is a definite green tinge showing through, this
appeared within hours if not minutes... Mind I didn't bother with any
cleaning of the pipes other than removing any dust or verdigris from
left over flux. (The plumber who did this place before our time was
at the lower end of the skill and quality scale).

On that basis go for something oil based, bear in mind a cold water
pipe may well get condensation on it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
Hi

A quick question... which of the following would be best as a first
paint coat onto oxidised bare copper water pipes?

household oil undercoat
red oxide primer
modeller's enamels
smoothrite
acrylic
emulsion
1 coat marine paint - think its International polyurethane, not sure

There's HCl on site for a quick etch, if that would help, but I doubt
I'll have time to go buy more paints.

thanks, NT

I would be inclined to clean it up with a Scotchbrite pad and then paint
it directly with oil-based gloss. No primer, no undercoat.

http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-1168-sco...r-36-pads.aspx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NT writes:
Hi

A quick question... which of the following would be best as a first
paint coat onto oxidised bare copper water pipes?

household oil undercoat
red oxide primer
modeller's enamels
smoothrite
acrylic
emulsion
1 coat marine paint - think its International polyurethane, not sure

There's HCl on site for a quick etch, if that would help, but I doubt
I'll have time to go buy more paints.

Depends what paint finish. Copper doesn't need a primer for normal
decorative painting. I usually paint pipes with gloss paint - the
gloss surface reflection tends to make the pipe look smaller than
when painted matt. With gloss paint, depending on the colour, much
of the opacity is in the undercoat, and you may need two undercoats
to cover a black pipe with white gloss. (This is true of the high
volatiles ones - I've managed to avoid the low volatiles ones so
far, so I can't comment on those.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
Hi

A quick question... which of the following would be best as a first
paint coat onto oxidised bare copper water pipes?

household oil undercoat
red oxide primer
modeller's enamels
smoothrite
acrylic
emulsion
1 coat marine paint - think its International polyurethane, not sure

There's HCl on site for a quick etch, if that would help, but I doubt
I'll have time to go buy more paints.

thanks, NT

Thanks everyone. As it turns out I didnt get as far as painting the
pipes.
When I do I'll use the oil based.

BTW is there any risk of oil paints disappearing thanks to the green
agenda?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NT writes:

BTW is there any risk of oil paints disappearing thanks to the green
agenda?

Yes, the oil paints you used to use are no longer manufactured
since January, although I got the bloke at the trade counter to
search and he found the odd tin still on the shelf. If you want
one, look for a tin without the low volatiles flash on it. All
the DIY outlets seemed to get rid of their stock in Sales some
months ago, so it would probably have to be a trade counter.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

i want to coat copper piping of the chiller to avoid the environmental effects of ash and sulfur contents in the atmosphere.
what should I use.
Just RED OXIDE or some other enamel base primer is recommended ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
i want to coat copper piping of the chiller to avoid the environmental effects of ash and sulfur contents in the atmosphere.
what should I use.
Just RED OXIDE or some other enamel base primer is recommended ?

I've always applied gloss top coat straight to the bare copper.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
i want to coat copper piping of the chiller to avoid the environmental
effects of ash and sulfur contents in the atmosphere. what should I use.
Just RED OXIDE or some other enamel base primer is recommended ?

I painted the copper tails to the SS towel rail in the bathroom with
Plasi-Kote 'chrome' enamel. Looks more like brushed SS, but has lasted
well. Just cleaned the pipes and painted it straight on.

But all the other copper pipes in the house seem to last OK left bare. ;-)

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Red Oxide, can one still get this?When I wanted some they said some stuff
called engenamel was the closest we are allowed to sell, and it needs to be
baked on.
Brian

--
----- -