Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A Copper Tubing Primer, Please

"John?] "
wrote in message
. net...

Just had a new central air unit installed and it had to be moved to a
new location, so a new line set was required. I had a coil of 3/4"
copper that I had traded for, so I offered it to my HVAC guy for the
line set. He looked at it and said that he couldn't use it because it
was "plumbing copper" and was manufactured with a seam. If you tried
to run R-22 through it, it would leak like a sieve.

He is completely trustworthy and I have no reason to question him, but
I started wondering about the types of copper tubing.

If you can't use "plumbing copper" for refrigerant, can you use
"refrigeration copper" for plumbing? What tubing do you need for
natural gas? What are the correct names for the different types of
copper?

Can someone school me please?

John

Plumbing copper Yellow stripe is DWV ( drain waste vent ) Thin walled. Red
stripe Type M little thicker wall used for condensate line low pressure but
have seen it used for water, Blue stripe type L most common for water lines
above ground. Green stripe Type K very thick underground High pressure not
used very often. Then there is soft rolled mostly for underground no joints.
Most plumping copper is measured by inside diameter, Refrigeration tubing is
measured by outside diameter.