Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Solvent for sellotape adhesive?

Hi all. There's been some sellotape (the real thing I think) stuck on
a frosted window in one of my doors for a while. When I took it off,
it left its adhesive behind so I need to clean it off. So far I've
tried white spirit and meths, but they don't shift it by the look of
things. Does anyone know what might work for this? (if it was on
flat glass, it'd be easy - a bit of a scrape for a while, but on
frosted it's not that simple).

I haven't tried an angle grinder yet but......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
Hi all. There's been some sellotape (the real thing I think) stuck on
a frosted window in one of my doors for a while. When I took it off,
it left its adhesive behind so I need to clean it off. So far I've
tried white spirit and meths, but they don't shift it by the look of
things. Does anyone know what might work for this? (if it was on
flat glass, it'd be easy - a bit of a scrape for a while, but on
frosted it's not that simple).

I haven't tried an angle grinder yet but......

Mmm. acetone maybe? (nail varnish remover) or possibly simply warm water
and a WHITE kitchen scouring pad - the kinder sort.

Oh. as its frosted, a more aggressive abrasive will be OK. so any very
fine abrsaive - ajax or T-cut maybe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 May 2010 15:02:55 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:

Hi all. There's been some sellotape (the real thing I think) stuck on
a frosted window in one of my doors for a while. When I took it off,
it left its adhesive behind so I need to clean it off. So far I've
tried white spirit and meths, but they don't shift it by the look of
things. Does anyone know what might work for this? (if it was on
flat glass, it'd be easy - a bit of a scrape for a while, but on
frosted it's not that simple).

I haven't tried an angle grinder yet but......

Liquid lighter fuel is pretty good.
... or if it's still sticky, dabbing off with more sellotape or gaffer tape can be effective

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 09/05/2010 23:02, GMM wrote:
Hi all. There's been some sellotape (the real thing I think) stuck on
a frosted window in one of my doors for a while. When I took it off,
it left its adhesive behind so I need to clean it off. So far I've
tried white spirit and meths, but they don't shift it by the look of
things. Does anyone know what might work for this? (if it was on
flat glass, it'd be easy - a bit of a scrape for a while, but on
frosted it's not that simple).

I haven't tried an angle grinder yet but......

Spray with Isopropyl alcohol, and rub hard - it will usually soften and
start to ball up and roll off.

Cellulose thinners may also hack it...

Or even label remover

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, GMM writes

Hi all. There's been some sellotape (the real thing I think) stuck on
a frosted window in one of my doors for a while. When I took it off,
it left its adhesive behind so I need to clean it off.

IPA (isopropanol) works.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
Hi all. There's been some sellotape (the real thing I think) stuck on
a frosted window in one of my doors for a while. When I took it off,
it left its adhesive behind so I need to clean it off. So far I've
tried white spirit and meths, but they don't shift it by the look of
things. Does anyone know what might work for this? (if it was on
flat glass, it'd be easy - a bit of a scrape for a while, but on
frosted it's not that simple).

I haven't tried an angle grinder yet but......

WD40!

--
Dave - WD40 Liberation Front.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
Hi all. There's been some sellotape (the real thing I think) stuck on
a frosted window in one of my doors for a while. When I took it off,
it left its adhesive behind so I need to clean it off. So far I've
tried white spirit and meths, but they don't shift it by the look of
things. Does anyone know what might work for this? (if it was on
flat glass, it'd be easy - a bit of a scrape for a while, but on
frosted it's not that simple).

I haven't tried an angle grinder yet but......

Will work well...

Sticky stuff remover (or similar) from the
supermarket/stationers/Halfords is your best bet

http://www.desolvit.co.uk/pages/stic...ver_liquid.htm

Acetone/nail varnish remover will also work well

Other solvents (some as mentioned by others) may work, possibly quite
slowly...

Isopropyl alcohol (CD cleaner)
Carbon Tetrachloride (dry clean fluid)
Cellulose Thinners
Lighter fluid (Zippo Fluid)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Dave Osborne
wrote:
GMM wrote:
Hi all. There's been some sellotape (the real thing I think) stuck
on a frosted window in one of my doors for a while. When I took it
off, it left its adhesive behind so I need to clean it off. So far
I've tried white spirit and meths, but they don't shift it by the
look of things. Does anyone know what might work for this? (if it
was on flat glass, it'd be easy - a bit of a scrape for a while,
but on frosted it's not that simple).

I haven't tried an angle grinder yet but......

Will work well...

Sticky stuff remover (or similar) from the
supermarket/stationers/Halfords is your best bet

http://www.desolvit.co.uk/pages/stic...ver_liquid.htm

Yes, I'll second that - wonderful stuff!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
Hi all. There's been some sellotape (the real thing I think) stuck on
a frosted window in one of my doors for a while. When I took it off,
it left its adhesive behind so I need to clean it off. So far I've
tried white spirit and meths, but they don't shift it by the look of
things. Does anyone know what might work for this? (if it was on
flat glass, it'd be easy - a bit of a scrape for a while, but on
frosted it's not that simple).

I haven't tried an angle grinder yet but......

Here is a trick,once you figure the best solvent soak a paper towel with
it and place it in close contact for a fair while,1/2 hour? Then it will
come off easily
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 May 2010 08:32:46 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
GMM wrote:
I haven't tried an angle grinder yet but......

WD40!

Pressure washer!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
GMM wrote:
Hi all. There's been some sellotape (the real thing I think) stuck
on a frosted window in one of my doors for a while. When I took it
off, it left its adhesive behind so I need to clean it off. So far
I've tried white spirit and meths, but they don't shift it by the
look of things. Does anyone know what might work for this? (if it
was on flat glass, it'd be easy - a bit of a scrape for a while,
but on frosted it's not that simple).

I haven't tried an angle grinder yet but......

Will work well...

Sticky stuff remover (or similar) from the
supermarket/stationers/Halfords is your best bet

http://www.desolvit.co.uk/pages/stic...ver_liquid.htm

Yes, I'll second that - wonderful stuff!

I'm still using an old bottle of the original stuff, made by Mangers.
It is not only effective, but as it is orange-based, it has a very
pleasant smell.

Does the 'new' product also smell of oranges?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GMM" wrote in message
Hi all. There's been some sellotape (the real thing I think) stuck on
a frosted window in one of my doors for a while. When I took it off,
it left its adhesive behind so I need to clean it off. So far I've
tried white spirit and meths, but they don't shift it by the look of
things. Does anyone know what might work for this? (if it was on
flat glass, it'd be easy - a bit of a scrape for a while, but on
frosted it's not that simple).

I haven't tried an angle grinder yet but......

Not sure what they used on pukka selotape, but the Scotch version used to
use cyclohexanone - which to me stank b awful and gave me a headache.

As you are dealing with a window, by far the easiest way to remove it will
simply be to dab it with paint stripper (the dichloromethane/'methylene
chloride' - Nitromors version) using a paintbrush. Scrub it off with a brass
brush once it bubbles up. Always keep some handy - although the tins do
start to rust quite quickly.

Generally, remember that there are basically two kinds of solvents 'polar'
and 'non polar'. Polar includes water and alcohol, acetone, MEK -
basically things that dissolve in water. Non polar covers most of the rest,
and these further divide into paraffin types and 'aromatic' 'benzene' types,
and chlorinated. The long and the short of it is to keep a selection of
solvents: 'meths' for the 'polars'; white spirit, for most of the others;
cellulose thinners and brush cleaner (ideally straight dichoromethane) for
the more difficult things; and Nitromors for the very difficult. In much
the same way, you should keep a selection of other cleaning materials:
alkaline - soda carb, caustic soda -; and acid - vinegar, citric; and
oxidising: bleach, hydrogen peroxide. With a basic household stock that
includes such a selection, you will be able to tackle most clean up jobs.

Incidentally, I found that none of these would dissolve 'dried' sunflower
oil, which I reckon must be one of the stickiest of all substances (hot
caustic soda required there!)!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
GMM wrote:
[...]

Delimonine IIRC

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
wrote:
GMM wrote:
[...]

IIRC Electrolube do a aerosol with a brush on it called "LRM" (Label
remover) also based on citronella oil, and pleasant smelling.

"
Spray with Isopropyl alcohol, and rub hard - it will usually soften and
start to ball up and roll off.

Cellulose thinners may also hack it...

Or even label remover"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 May 2010 19:06:38 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Does the 'new' product also smell of oranges?

Delimonine IIRC

D-Limonene to be precise, which is the "D" enantiomer of Limonene.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Does the 'new' product also smell of oranges?

Delimonine IIRC

D-Limonene to be precise, which is the "D" enantiomer of Limonene.

No doubt with added 'ambi-dextrose'...

;-)