Old August 5th 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternative to Solvent Weld adhesive

I'm mid project, and I have to make a solvent weld joint for a waste
trap. I normally use push fit stuff ... so no solvent glue in the
house. Will acetone, or nail varnish remover work?

Old August 5th 06, 08:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

AndyB wrote:
> I'm mid project, and I have to make a solvent weld joint for a waste
> trap. I normally use push fit stuff ... so no solvent glue in the
> house. Will acetone, or nail varnish remover work?

Try it? Try to cement two offcuts of pipe together

Old August 5th 06, 08:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

AndyB wrote:

> I'm mid project, and I have to make a solvent weld joint for a waste
> trap. I normally use push fit stuff ... so no solvent glue in the
> house. Will acetone, or nail varnish remover work?

Cellulose thinners probably will...

--
Cheers,

John.

Old August 5th 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

> Cellulose thinners probably will...

It certainly does - thank you.

Andy :-)

PS How did you know that I'd have some Cellulose thinners ...

Old August 5th 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

AndyB wrote:
> John Rumm wrote:
> >
> > Cellulose thinners probably will...
> >

> It certainly does - thank you.
>
> Andy :-)
>
> PS How did you know that I'd have some Cellulose thinners ...

gloss paint would too

NT

Old August 6th 06, 03:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

AndyB wrote:

> PS How did you know that I'd have some Cellulose thinners ...

Because we all buy a can and then only find something useful to do with
it every ten years! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Old August 6th 06, 09:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

The message >
from John Rumm > contains these words:

<thinners>
> Because we all buy a can and then only find something useful to do with
> it every ten years! ;-)

It's good for shifting graffiti.

--
Skipweasel
Old August 6th 06, 10:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
> AndyB wrote:
>
>> PS How did you know that I'd have some Cellulose thinners ...

> Because we all buy a can and then only find something useful to do with
> it every ten years! ;-)

Huh? I get through about a can every 6 months..

But then I have a hobby that uses a lot of it.

Old August 6th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Huh? I get through about a can every 6 months..
>
> But then I have a hobby that uses a lot of it.

(mental image of that said in a Kenneth Williams voice! ;-)

In fact I used to use far more of it when I was more routinely fiddling
with radio control boats.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old August 6th 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:

> The message >
> from John Rumm > contains these words:
>
> <thinners>
>
>>Because we all buy a can and then only find something useful to do with
>>it every ten years! ;-)

> It's good for shifting graffiti.

That's interesting to know.

How long do you think it might be available? CFC's might see it banned
within the next 'very few years'.

Dave

I work at a school and graffiti is something that I have problems with
(getting rid of the offensive words, before 5 to 11 years old read/see
them.)