Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Timeswitch question

Just opened a Suretime mechanical timeswitch made by Timeguard Ltd.
It's one of those with a dial where you push in little fingers to
indicate the on-times you want.

The leaflet inside says "This timeswitch can be used to control domestic
appliances such as fans and heaters rated up to 13A (3kW), also washing
machines and dishwashers"

Having seem the flimsy interior wiring of typical timeswitches, I very
much doubt I'd put a heavy load like a washing machine on one.

But what gets me is "this timeswitch is NOT suitable for use with
fluorescent lighting (low energy compact and linear tube types) and
discharge lamps."

which is, of course, exactly what I want it for. Why should this be?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson writes:

Just opened a Suretime mechanical timeswitch made by Timeguard Ltd.
It's one of those with a dial where you push in little fingers to
indicate the on-times you want.

The leaflet inside says "This timeswitch can be used to control domestic
appliances such as fans and heaters rated up to 13A (3kW), also washing
machines and dishwashers"

Having seem the flimsy interior wiring of typical timeswitches, I very
much doubt I'd put a heavy load like a washing machine on one.

But what gets me is "this timeswitch is NOT suitable for use with
fluorescent lighting (low energy compact and linear tube types) and
discharge lamps."

which is, of course, exactly what I want it for. Why should this be?

Seems like duff instructions to me. What's the model number?
I hope the instructions give additional warning about using
timeswitches to control heaters - it's all too easy to put
something in front of a heater which is off, and use of a
timeswitch means it might come on later where no one's around
to see it burst into flames.

Washing machine isn't a heavy load - the heater is only used for
a short time. (Large tumble drier could be different though.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson formulated on Sunday :
But what gets me is "this timeswitch is NOT suitable for use with
fluorescent lighting (low energy compact and linear tube types) and
discharge lamps."

which is, of course, exactly what I want it for. Why should this be?

Both are highly inductive loads, where as a washing machine is mostly
(aside from the motor) a resistive load. The washer's motor will not be
switched on by the time clock, but by the washers own timer a little
later once it has filled up. It is not just the running current which
needs to be considered, but the inductive load switching when rating
contacts. Time clocks also switch quite slowly, increasing the arc
time.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry
Bloomfield writes

Both are highly inductive loads, where as a washing machine is mostly
(aside from the motor) a resistive load.

Yes, I would have said the major part of the load would be the heater
element, which is resistive.

The washer's motor will not be
switched on by the time clock, but by the washers own timer a little
later once it has filled up.

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7
(")_(") a go despite what he's said about it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes

Seems like duff instructions to me. What's the model number?

Sorry, should have thought to mention that. Model ST600.

Also says:

Operating temp 5C to 55C
Operating voltage 220-240V AC 50Hz
Contact rating 13A resistive, 4A inductive, 300W filament lighting

4A inductive doesn't look like a problem for a single energy-saver lamp
to me. I'd be worried if it took 4A!

I hope the instructions give additional warning about using
timeswitches to control heaters

Nope, not a mention.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7
(")_(") a go despite what he's said about it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Tomlinson
Sun, 9 May 2010 19:49:09 writes

300W filament lighting

That is only 1.3A! Why so low?
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Les Desser
writes

That is only 1.3A! Why so low?

Don't know. Wonder if it's a misprint and they meant 3000W?

I'm using it with an 11W energy saver and it seems ok.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7
(")_(") a go despite what he's said about it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 9, 8:55*am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Just opened a Suretime mechanical timeswitch made by Timeguard Ltd.
It's one of those with a dial where you push in little fingers to
indicate the on-times you want.

The leaflet inside says "This timeswitch can be used to control domestic
appliances such as fans and heaters rated up to 13A (3kW), also washing
machines and dishwashers"

Having seem the flimsy interior wiring of typical timeswitches, I very
much doubt I'd put a heavy load like a washing machine on one.

But what gets me is "this timeswitch is NOT suitable for use with
fluorescent lighting (low energy compact and linear tube types) and
discharge lamps."

which is, of course, exactly what I want it for. *Why should this be?

CFLs are mostly rectifier resevoir inputs, you can happily run them on
mechanical timeswitches, but need to stick to well below 3kW, but I
dont see that being a problem in any normal domestic lighting app.

FWIW fitting a snubber across the timer's switch would increase the
loads it could handle and its life expectancy.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 May 2010 02:23:44 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:
On May 9, 8:55Â*am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Just opened a Suretime mechanical timeswitch made by Timeguard Ltd.
It's one of those with a dial where you push in little fingers to
indicate the on-times you want.

The leaflet inside says "This timeswitch can be used to control domestic
appliances such as fans and heaters rated up to 13A (3kW), also washing
machines and dishwashers"

Having seem the flimsy interior wiring of typical timeswitches, I very
much doubt I'd put a heavy load like a washing machine on one.

But what gets me is "this timeswitch is NOT suitable for use with
fluorescent lighting (low energy compact and linear tube types) and
discharge lamps."

which is, of course, exactly what I want it for. Â*Why should this be?

CFLs are mostly rectifier resevoir inputs, you can happily run them on
mechanical timeswitches, but need to stick to well below 3kW, but I
dont see that being a problem in any normal domestic lighting app.

FWIW fitting a snubber across the timer's switch would increase the
loads it could handle and its life expectancy.

I think the life expectancy of these cheapo timers is determined more
by the plastic used in the mechaniscs than the quality of the microswitch.
Occasionally I forget and buy one of these. The last one being from a
branch of well-known high street electronics stores. It lasted about two
months before the dial stopped rotating whenever it hit a "set" finger and
the trigger thingy inside became so worn that it wasn't pushed closed
when the finger went past. After that I remember why I don't buy them any
more and go for the electronic timers instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , pete
writes

After that I remember why I don't buy them any
more and go for the electronic timers instead.

I used to buy electronic timers, but they all ran too hot for me to be
entirely comfortable with and suffered from bad caps (failure of the
electrolytic capacitors).

--
Mike Tomlinson