Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - feeding the trolls

Having just deep sixed Doctor Drivel I am still left with the idiot threads
he started.

Pretty please can you try not to feed the trolls?

Many Thanks

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 6, 2:31*pm, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
Having just deep sixed Doctor Drivel I am still left with the idiot threads
he started.

Pretty please can you try not to feed the trolls?

It won't work. His multiple personalities will keep posting replies.
Or maybe they are his friends in the loonybin. Just have to wait till
he gets bored replying to himself or the meds kick in. He does have
phases where you don't hear from him for weeks on end, so fingers
crossed....

Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-05-06, David WE Roberts wrote:
Having just deep sixed Doctor Drivel I am still left with the idiot threads
he started.

Pretty please can you try not to feed the trolls?

Can your newsreader kill on "References"? If it can, you can not only
killfile Drivel, but all followups to his postings.

Do tell more. I have been looking for a way of killing not only an
individual poster but all replies to and replies to replies to their
postings.

The references idea is new to me. I know OE can't and don't think that
Thunderbird can. Can you recommend a decent newsreader that could do this?

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Andrew May wrote:

Do tell more. I have been looking for a way of killing not only an
individual poster but all replies to and replies to replies to their
postings.

The references idea is new to me. I know OE can't and don't think that
Thunderbird can. Can you recommend a decent newsreader that could do
this?

In thunderbird its easy if you want to kill the who thread - just hit k.
Next time you switch to the group all trace of it will have vanished.

But that kills the whole thread. It is not uncommon to be following a
perfectly good thread and to find that it branches off into a completely
off-topic argument. Killing that whole branch would be good. Doing it
automatically based on who started it would be better. Killing the whole
thread gets rid of a lot of possibly useful discussion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

Pretty please can you try not to feed the trolls?

I agree. Chavs and trolls should be ignored.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Starling" wrote in message

It won't work. His multiple personalities will keep posting replies.
Or maybe they are his friends in the loonybin. Just have to wait till
he gets bored replying to himself or the meds kick in. He does have
phases where you don't hear from him for weeks on end, so fingers
crossed....

I know what you mean Chavs get everywhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message

The references idea is new to me.

Good idea. It keeps the Chavs away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message

It is not uncommon to be following a perfectly good thread and to find
that it branches off into a completely off-topic argument.

I know. The Chavs are a pest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message

The references idea is new to me. I know OE can't

OE can kill threads with a couple of mouse clicks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Andrew May" wrote in message

The references idea is new to me. I know OE can't

OE can kill threads with a couple of mouse clicks.

But I don't want to kill the whole thread. Just the bit that diverges of
onto off-topic trolling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:

dennis@home wrote:

OE can kill threads with a couple of mouse clicks.

But I don't want to kill the whole thread. Just the bit that diverges of
onto off-topic trolling.

Thunderbird's filtering has generally been poor compared to e.g. Agent,
but TB3 now allows you to match respondents and kill the subthread from
there onwards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:

Do tell more. I have been looking for a way of killing not only an
individual poster but all replies to and replies to replies to their
postings.

The references idea is new to me. I know OE can't and don't think that
Thunderbird can.

In TB3, create a message filter that matches one or more "from"
addresses, and set the action to "ignore subthread", it only takes
effect for new messages, if you want to nuke old threads, right click
the group, properties, re-index and download a few thousand posts and
mark the rest as read, then change away from and back to the relevant
group and "poof!" no more drivel, or replies to drivel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew May
writes
dennis@home wrote:
"Andrew May" wrote in message

The references idea is new to me. I know OE can't

OE can kill threads with a couple of mouse clicks.

But I don't want to kill the whole thread. Just the bit that diverges
of onto off-topic trolling.

Well - it's all over now, looks like labour have been well and truly
kicked out

Drivel will now go away and lick his wounds

life will return to normal

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Andrew May
writes
dennis@home wrote:
"Andrew May" wrote in message

The references idea is new to me. I know OE can't
OE can kill threads with a couple of mouse clicks.

But I don't want to kill the whole thread. Just the bit that diverges
of onto off-topic trolling.

Well - it's all over now, looks like labour have been well and truly
kicked out

Drivel will now go away and lick his wounds

life will return to normal

Not yet. Mandle Bum still wants to do a deal and be Queen Bitch

Mind you, the liberal surge turned out to be a liberal fart..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Thursday 06 May 2010 23:07

Not yet. Mandle Bum still wants to do a deal and be Queen

I was with you up to there...

Bitch

Mind you, the liberal surge turned out to be a liberal fart..

Yeah - but if it's well hung (ooh-errr), Nick Clegg's going to be offered a
****job on every vote in the Commons.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Andrew May
writes
dennis@home wrote:
"Andrew May" wrote in message

The references idea is new to me. I know OE can't
OE can kill threads with a couple of mouse clicks.

But I don't want to kill the whole thread. Just the bit that
diverges of onto off-topic trolling.

Well - it's all over now, looks like labour have been well and truly
kicked out
Drivel will now go away and lick his wounds
life will return to normal

Not yet. Mandle Bum still wants to do a deal and be Queen Bitch

Mind you, the liberal surge turned out to be a liberal fart..

I was talking about dIMMs pathetic electioneering attempts

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Having just deep sixed Doctor Drivel I am still left with the idiot
threads he started.

Pretty please can you try not to feed the trolls?

Many Thanks

Dave R

I asked on a microsoft.public outlook express group:

spamlet wrote:

Is there any way to make a message rule that not only cuts out the op of
a nuisance message, but also the replies that us dupes may make to them.
This would ideally need to apply to diversions only, within otherwise
good threads.

A tall order, but I know there are some clever people out there (mind you
it looks like none of us may be here before long :-(

Not with the newsreader that you use (Outlook Express). Other newsreaders
have the option to ignore a complete subthread. You use a rule to set the
Ignore flag on a message and enable an option to apply the Ignore to the
entire subthread. Then that post and every reply to it gets ignored.
Then
use a view that hides ignored subtreads.

In OE the best idea doesn't solve the 'good subthread' dilemma, but MS are
migrating newsgroups to web forums anyway:

You can create a rule based on the subject and remove it when the thread
dies. As far as the MS newsgroups go, they'll be here until they aren't.
Not a choice we can control.

Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Having just deep sixed Doctor Drivel I am still left with the idiot
threads he started.

Pretty please can you try not to feed the trolls?

This has yet again made me consider the choice of (free) news reader.

At the moment I use Windows Mail which is suspiciously like OE.

Plus points - displays threads well and the GUI for following, expanding,
collapsing, ignoring, watching threads is straightforward and reasonably
intuitive.

Minus points - no sophistication in the filtering of news posts. AFAIK you
can't even block messages posted to more than one NG, let alone do more
complex scoring and filtering. You have to go and manually edit a rule to
block an author.

No doubt I have been polluted by M$ GUIs over the years but the few other
Windows based contenders don't seem to have such an intuitive GUI. I suspect
that the commercial driver for M$ Windows applications has been ease of use
and simple features aimed at the great mass of non-technical users, wheras
the Unix/Linux news readers have been developed for geeks by geeks and then
had a GUI retrofitted for the masses.

So if you are running Windows because you need/want certain commercial
software packages which only run under Windows (e.g. Microsoft Autoroute and
the Virgin Mobile internet dongle) you seem to be stuck with a limited
choice of news readers.

You can either have a familiar and intuitive GUI or a powerful rules engine
but not both.

So why isn't there a news feed pre-processor?

You configure the pre-processor to connect to your news feed.
You configure your news reader to connect to the pre-processor as if it was
a news feed.
You can then filter before presenting the remains to your favourite news
reader.
I guess this would be a news proxy?

Obviously not as good as an integrated news reader with both the GUI and
rules engine, but perhaps not that hard to implement.

The only Linux news reader I could get on with is Pan, but the Windows
version never seemed to work well and it seems to be drifting into obscurity
on Linux as well.

Last time I looked at Thunderbird there wasn't even an obvious option to
block an individual author - ISTR Pan had a simple 'plonk' button and a
rules engine which offered a simple 'block multiple posting' with a maximum
number.

Last time I looked at Thunderbird it was all about numeric scores with no
simple 'point and shoot' stuff.
I could sit down and learn how to program the rules but that is turning to
the geek side.

The thing I really like about OE/Windows Mail is the ability to double click
on a message then navigate the thread from the pop-up window.
For some strange reason Thunderbird doesn't seem to offer this - no
'forward/back' arrows in the pop up window.
This alone makes it very unattractive. Again, AFAIK Pan would allow this.

Which is why I find myself still using the dumb Windows program

Ho hum.

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spamlet wrote:

[...]

Just got excited for a few seconds then looked at the way the rules can be
configured.
On Windows Mail (clone of OE) there isn't an option to handle just Ignored
threads.
You only have the option for 'Watched or Ignored' threads.
What?
I want Watched threads to be especially visible.
I want Igonred threads to be invisible and/or deleted.
This seems to be the intended purpose of both categories.
Why give one option to cover both types of thread which have mutually
incompatible requirements?
Oh, M$.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

So why isn't there a news feed pre-processor?

Leafnode? Though I don't think it's available for Windows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:

So why isn't there a news feed pre-processor?

Leafnode? Though I don't think it's available for Windows.

M'Lud, the prosecution rests. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

The thing I really like about OE/Windows Mail is the ability to double
click on a message then navigate the thread from the pop-up window.
For some strange reason Thunderbird doesn't seem to offer this - no
'forward/back' arrows in the pop up window.

You *can* customise the toolbar on the pop-up window to add back/forward
or next/previous buttons ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
David WE Roberts wrote:
Oh, M$.

You could try Messenger Pro available for Linux or MS
www.intellegit.com/software/gemini/

available on 30 day trial. It is very popular on RISC OS
and is said to have decent filtering. I use a different
agent but I'm thinking of migrating.

John

--
John Mulrooney

To die completely a person must not only forget, but be forgotten
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:

So why isn't there a news feed pre-processor?

Leafnode? Though I don't think it's available for Windows.

M'Lud, the prosecution rests. ;-)

A good example of the human brain being the best tool for the job. Even
mine can scan a screen full of messages and apply a series of criteria,
some of which I may have only just thought of, in a split second.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

TB has quite easy to use filters now. There is no "kill this user"
button, but it is very easy to say configure a filter to identify all
posts from a particular author

As simple as right-clicking on an email address and selecting "create
filter from ..."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

I tried using TB3 but it appeared to lack some basics (like marking a
post unread

Marking unread can be done with a right click and then deselecting
"read" from the mark menu.

or just press 'm'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2010 18:04, John Rumm wrote:

Marking unread can be done with a right click and then deselecting
"read" from the mark menu.

Search options (using Find on the edit menu) can search most fields
these days, but not the main body of messages. The quick find at the top
right of the screen is good for searching on topic or author in real time.

Possible that the Mac version of TB is a bit simplified compared to the
Windows one. Macs don't have the concept of 'right-click' IIRC.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

Adrian wrote:

Macs don't have the concept of 'right-click' IIRC.

Yes they do.

They do *now* but it was a bit tricky between 1984 and 2005 (when they
introduced the Mighty Mouse)

http://www.vectronicsappleworld.com/...osh/mouse.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/10 21:41, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

Adrian wrote:

Macs don't have the concept of 'right-click' IIRC.

Yes they do.

They do *now* but it was a bit tricky between 1984 and 2005 (when they
introduced the Mighty Mouse)

Never understood what possessed them to think the "convicted arab
shoplifter" mouse was a good idea. Everytime I touched one, it made me
want to throw it through a window...

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "David WE Roberts"
saying something like:

So why isn't there a news feed pre-processor?

You configure the pre-processor to connect to your news feed.
You configure your news reader to connect to the pre-processor as if it was
a news feed.
You can then filter before presenting the remains to your favourite news
reader.

There is and it's been around for years - NewsProxy. Free and filters by
regular expressions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "David WE Roberts"
saying something like:

So why isn't there a news feed pre-processor?

You configure the pre-processor to connect to your news feed.
You configure your news reader to connect to the pre-processor as if it
was
a news feed.
You can then filter before presenting the remains to your favourite news
reader.

There is and it's been around for years - NewsProxy. Free and filters by
regular expressions.

Thanks for that - will have an investigate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

I want Watched threads to be especially visible.

I also want to watch threads that involve Chavs and the likes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 6, 2:39*pm, Dave Starling wrote:
On May 6, 2:31*pm, "David WE wrote:
Having just deep sixed Doctor Drivel I am still left with the idiot threads
he started.

Pretty please can you try not to feed the trolls?

It won't work. His multiple personalities will keep posting replies.
Or maybe they are his friends in the loonybin. Just have to wait till
he gets bored replying to himself or the meds kick in. He does have
phases where you don't hear from him for weeks on end, so fingers
crossed....

Is he related to :::Jerry::: ? Very similar behaviour with long
absences.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Andrew May
writes
dennis@home wrote:
"Andrew May" wrote in message

The references idea is new to me. I know OE can't
OE can kill threads with a couple of mouse clicks.

But I don't want to kill the whole thread. Just the bit that diverges of
onto off-topic trolling.

Well - it's all over now, looks like labour have been well and truly
kicked out

Drivel will now go away and lick his wounds

Maxie, you were wrong. Labour wanted nothing to do with them and walked away
even when they were wanting deal with them.

Maxie, that is what happened in the world.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Andrew May
writes
dennis@home wrote:
"Andrew May" wrote in message

The references idea is new to me. I know OE can't
OE can kill threads with a couple of mouse clicks.

But I don't want to kill the whole thread. Just the bit that diverges
of onto off-topic trolling.
Well - it's all over now, looks like labour have been well and truly
kicked out
Drivel will now go away and lick his wounds
life will return to normal

Not yet. Mandle Bum still wants to do a deal and be Queen Bitch

Mind you, the liberal surge turned out to be a liberal fart..

I was talking about dIMMs pathetic electioneering attempts

Maxie, were you sending Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress, out on the
hustings? Maxie! What man! A bet that got lots of votes for your Paddy
Band party.

trolls tony stramella Metalworking 1 April 8th 06 02:24 PM
trolls.... Phil UK diy 6 August 22nd 05 09:07 PM
OT -(Imagine that, here in THIS NG) Stop feeding the trolls! Tom Gardner Metalworking 17 March 24th 04 11:45 AM
what is a trolls ? Steven Van Densen Woodworking 2 July 18th 03 04:25 PM