Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY central hearing installation

In 1990 I installed a central heating system (in my previous house). Now I
have just moved into another house which has no heating. I gather that DIY
boiler installation is a major 'slapped-wrists / naughty-naughty' affair
nowadays. However, what would be the actual negative consequences I would
encounter if I do go ahead and do it myself (to a good standard)?

Thanks,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_z wrote:
In 1990 I installed a central heating system (in my previous house).
Now I have just moved into another house which has no heating. I
gather that DIY boiler installation is a major 'slapped-wrists /
naughty-naughty' affair nowadays. However, what would be the actual
negative consequences I would encounter if I do go ahead and do it
myself (to a good standard)?

There are no negative consequences.
Buy a boiler, install it and away you go....if, further down the line you
wish to sell the property, get the boiler serviced by a gas-safe bod and
keep hold of the paperwork

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in
:

AL_z wrote:
In 1990 I installed a central heating system (in my previous house).
Now I have just moved into another house which has no heating. I
gather that DIY boiler installation is a major 'slapped-wrists /
naughty-naughty' affair nowadays. However, what would be the actual
negative consequences I would encounter if I do go ahead and do it
myself (to a good standard)?

There are no negative consequences.
Buy a boiler, install it and away you go....if, further down the line
you wish to sell the property, get the boiler serviced by a gas-safe
bod and keep hold of the paperwork

Fantasmic! Thanks...

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_z" wrote in message
In 1990 I installed a central heating system (in my previous house). Now I
have just moved into another house which has no heating. I gather that DIY
boiler installation is a major 'slapped-wrists / naughty-naughty' affair
nowadays. However, what would be the actual negative consequences I would
encounter if I do go ahead and do it myself (to a good standard)?

Apart from the possibility of any errors you might make causing harm you
need to consider that it would probably invalidate any insurance claim. Much
more certain is that when the house comes to be sold the owner will
probably need to get the whole system certified as being to regulations. By
all means do some of the time consuming work but get the final part
installed and certified professionally.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Crosland" wrote in
:

"AL_z" wrote in message
In 1990 I installed a central heating system (in my previous house).
Now I have just moved into another house which has no heating. I
gather that DIY boiler installation is a major 'slapped-wrists /
naughty-naughty' affair nowadays. However, what would be the actual
negative consequences I would encounter if I do go ahead and do it
myself (to a good standard)?

Apart from the possibility of any errors you might make causing harm
you need to consider that it would probably invalidate any insurance
claim. Much more certain is that when the house comes to be sold the
owner will probably need to get the whole system certified as being to
regulations. By all means do some of the time consuming work but get
the final part installed and certified professionally.

Peter Crosland

Thanks.., those are the kind of concerns that were lurking somewhere in
my subcionscious! I could shop around for the plumber who will let me do
the most work prior to him coming in and finishing it off and signing it
off - after I make sure that the work I do complies with the latest
building regs.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_z
wibbled on Monday 03 May 2010 21:27

"Peter Crosland" wrote in
:

"AL_z" wrote in message
[...]

Apart from the fact that Peter is not quite correct, what you could do is
present all the wet pipework and electrics to near the point of
installation which makes the actual installation simpler for the installer
but still allows him to legitimately sign it off.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in
:

"AL_z" wrote in message
[...]

Okay.. thank you for the clarifications.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_z
wibbled on Monday 03 May 2010 21:53

Apart from the fact that Peter is not quite correct, what you could do
is present all the wet pipework and electrics to near the point of
installation which makes the actual installation simpler for the
installer but still allows him to legitimately sign it off.

Okay.. thank you for the clarifications.

Al

If you want to go that route.

You can do the gas installation yourself, if you're are "competent". In
practise, that would mean being sure of your copper plumbing abilities and
reading the various gas regs, knowing about taking flues out correctly and
sizing your gas pipes to cope with the flow without exceeding the permitted
pressure drop, taking pipes through walls (sleeved) and doing suitable
tests at the end to name a few. I would advise having a read in the Wiki
and FAQ (especially Ed Sirret's Gas DIY FAQ) and start assessing whether
you feel it is worth making the effort to gain the further knowledge
required vs subbing it out.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Crosland
wibbled on Monday 03 May 2010 21:04

"AL_z" wrote in message
In 1990 I installed a central heating system (in my previous house). Now
I have just moved into another house which has no heating. I gather that
DIY boiler installation is a major 'slapped-wrists / naughty-naughty'
affair nowadays. However, what would be the actual negative consequences
I would encounter if I do go ahead and do it myself (to a good standard)?

Apart from the possibility of any errors you might make causing harm you
need to consider that it would probably invalidate any insurance claim.

Assuming no errors indicating incompetance, DIY gas work *is* legal.

However, bizarrely, the Part L and Part P aspects of boiler installation
will require talking to the LABC.

Much
more certain is that when the house comes to be sold the owner will
probably need to get the whole system certified as being to regulations.
By all means do some of the time consuming work but get the final part
installed and certified professionally.

The other option is to either get a GasSafe fitter to "consult" for you (ie
check your design and eyeball the workmanship). Although he cannot properly
sign off your installation, he can issue a Gas Safety report which would
look good to any naysayers in the future.

--
Tim Watts