Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default kitchen rewiring

Hi,

I have read here about the advantages of having a radial just to the
freezer, but would you have to put a note on the socket to say it was
on a different circuit to the rest of the sockets in the kitchen or do
you rely on any electrician double checking the power is off before
they go to work?

I thought I had also read the suggestion to put the kitchen on a
separate ring to the rest of the house, but I have had a quick look
through the faq and wiki and haven't spotted it this morning. What
would be the advantage of this? I think it was to do with loading but
a cooker and hob would be on their own radial, so these would not
affect kitchen loading. What other heavy loads are there in a kitchen?
True a kettle may be rated at 2 or 3kw but it is only on for short
periods.

I'm thinking the current drawn by toasters, bread makers, and food
processors and other small white goods are neither here nor there. Is
it perhaps more of an issue where the dishwasher, washing machine, and
tumble dryer are all in the kitchen? I guess a tumble drier must be
rated about 3kW and the water heaters in washing machines and
dishwashers must be about the same, though used for shorter periods?

We have a kitchen desperately in need of renovation, with a
laundry/utility room next door with the washing machine and tumble
dryer in that. At some point soon, SWMBO insists that they are
smartened up. Would it be a good idea to have the laundry and kitchen
on their own ring when we get the work done or would you even go as
far as having the laundry on its own?

TIA

When is rewiring necessary? Geoff Berrow UK diy 30 August 1st 07 05:08 PM
Rewiring john walker UK diy 8 January 28th 07 07:51 PM
rewiring old house.. Dark1 Home Repair 4 July 30th 06 07:30 AM
Fully rewiring a kitchen A Bloke UK diy 13 February 17th 06 01:46 PM