Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whirlpool bath wiring

The whirlpool (spa) bath we've ordered comes with a European style
fitted mains plug (yes, I know...) and an in-cable breaker of some
kind - presumably an RCD - quite close to the plug. This obviously
isn't a satisfactory arrangement for the UK, so will it be OK to cut
off both the plug and the breaker and wire directly (via a double-pole
isolator) - assuming that it will be connected to a circuit that
already has a 30 mA RCD?

I've looked at earlier posts on this subject but they're all quite
old, and don't cover the case of an in-cable RCD already being fitted.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Russell" wrote in message
The whirlpool (spa) bath we've ordered comes with a European style
fitted mains plug (yes, I know...) and an in-cable breaker of some
kind - presumably an RCD - quite close to the plug. This obviously
isn't a satisfactory arrangement for the UK, so will it be OK to cut
off both the plug and the breaker and wire directly (via a double-pole
isolator) - assuming that it will be connected to a circuit that
already has a 30 mA RCD?

I've looked at earlier posts on this subject but they're all quite
old, and don't cover the case of an in-cable RCD already being fitted.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Mine is connected to a junction box under the bath (Screwed to the wall, so
it won't get we if there is a flood under there!) this then connects to a
Fused connection unit (Double pole isolator with a fuse) that is above the
door, ouside the bathroom - This is then connected as a spur from the
downstairs ring main, which is 30mA RCD protected.

I think you just need to make sure the connection is accesible, but not
without having to remove the bath panel (with tools) - I was installing a
fan isolator anyway, and the wall this was on was due to be plastered too,
so I decided to put it next to that.

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Russell" wrote in message
The whirlpool (spa) bath we've ordered comes with a European style
fitted mains plug (yes, I know...) and an in-cable breaker of some
kind - presumably an RCD - quite close to the plug. This obviously
isn't a satisfactory arrangement for the UK, so will it be OK to cut
off both the plug and the breaker and wire directly (via a double-pole
isolator) - assuming that it will be connected to a circuit that
already has a 30 mA RCD?

That's how I have wired them up in the past.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Russell" wrote in message
The whirlpool (spa) bath we've ordered comes with a European style
fitted mains plug (yes, I know...) and an in-cable breaker of some
kind - presumably an RCD - quite close to the plug. This obviously
isn't a satisfactory arrangement for the UK, so will it be OK to cut
off both the plug and the breaker and wire directly (via a double-pole
isolator) - assuming that it will be connected to a circuit that
already has a 30 mA RCD?

I've looked at earlier posts on this subject but they're all quite
old, and don't cover the case of an in-cable RCD already being fitted.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

via a pull cord operated dp switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Apr, 16:55, Richard Russell wrote:
The whirlpool (spa) bath we've ordered comes with a European style
fitted mains plug (yes, I know...) and an in-cable breaker of some
kind - presumably an RCD - quite close to the plug. *This obviously
isn't a satisfactory arrangement for the UK, so will it be OK to cut
off both the plug and the breaker and wire directly (via a double-pole
isolator) - assuming that it will be connected to a circuit that
already has a 30 mA RCD?

I've looked at earlier posts on this subject but they're all quite
old, and don't cover the case of an in-cable RCD already being fitted.

The builders who put my spa bath in 18 months ago put it on its own
RCBO at the CU (via an FCU) rather than just wire it into the 30mA RCD
protected ring. I can't remember whether I queried this at the time,
but I can't see how it makes any difference unless maybe the RCBO is
faster acting than the main RCD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pcb1962" wrote in message
[...]

That seems like an unnessesary expense if the RCD and RCBO are both rated at
30mA.

If the bath is one with a 3kW heater built into it then it would make sense
to have a seperate supply.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Apr, 03:48, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

That seems like an unnessesary expense if the RCD and RCBO are both rated at
30mA.

If the bath is one with a 3kW heater built into it then it would make sense
to have a seperate supply.

The bath has just air and water pumps, no heater, the RCBO is rated
10A, so as far as I can see there would have been no problem with just
including it in the bedroom ring circuit. Like you say, an
unnecessary expense.