Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q plastic windows

Just a note in passing.

I decided to get my plastic windows for the shed from B&Q as they seemed
cheaper than double glazing companies.

When you buy them off the shelf at B&Q they come pre-glazed so you have to
use plastic clips to fix them into the frame.
Double glazing companies usually supply the frames unglazed so that you can
fix through the side of the frames with frame fixings then fit the glazing.

I wanted a pair of frames, a left hand opener and a right hand opener.
B&Q only stock the right hand opener so I tried to order the other one.

I was told that they had stopped stocking the left hand opener (why??) but
that I could order frames from them to be made up.
I was also told that this worked out no more expensive because they came
with a cill and handles, unlike the stock items.

O.K.
Sounded good so I ordered the windows.
Picked them up yesterday and they are supplied unglazed with the glass to be
fitted.
This is an unexpected bonus as the frames are esasier to handle without the
glass, and easier to fit with frame fixings than with these plastic clips.

So if you are considering B&Q plastic windows it may pay to explore the
special order ones as well as the ones on the shelf.

I haven't enquired if they will make up non-standard sizes but I don't see
why not.

HTH

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

Just a note in passing.

I decided to get my plastic windows for the shed from B&Q as they seemed
cheaper than double glazing companies.

When you buy them off the shelf at B&Q they come pre-glazed so you have to
use plastic clips to fix them into the frame.

Alternatively, you can take the glass out when you get them home, and
fit the frames quite easily. It is clearly easier to sell them in bulk
with the glass fitted, so that is how they send them out.
It takes 5 minutes to get a DG glass unit out.

Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 4, 11:48*am, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
Just a note in passing.

I decided to get my plastic windows for the shed from B&Q as they seemed
cheaper than double glazing companies.

When you buy them off the shelf at B&Q they come pre-glazed so you have to
use plastic clips to fix them into the frame.
Double glazing companies usually supply the frames unglazed so that you can
fix through the side of the frames with frame fixings then fit the glazing.

DIY sheds invariably supply off the shelf frames already glazed as it
means there's only a single unit to handle with the glazing securely
held during transport. DG companies and custom units from the sheds
are all made to order and handled differently. That's the only reason
they are supplied unglazed. Having said that, Wicked made to order
units also come glazed.

Do you not read what other have told you in previous threads? Remove
the beading, remove the glazing unit. Fix frame. Replace glazing unit,
refit beading.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

*****

I have also read in other threads about using the plastic clips.
And I don't expect to buy something then have to take it to pieces to fit
it.
However this is not a problem as the units aren't glazed.