Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lock up garage security?

After very narrowly missing being broken into when 5 of my neighbours
were, if someone offers you a silver CCM motocrosser or a blinged up
black Mitsibushi Shogun or miscellaneous tools and clothing please
just remove them from the gene pool.

Modus operandi by thiefs was bolt croppers though hasp staples, most
doors are double wooden standard garage doors.

Discovered the security range from toolfix is laughably poor, the
hasp from toolstation has about 20mm of slop in it even with large
padlock.

Blacksmith has welded angle over the hasps to make entry by bolt
cutter more difficult, with a top piece the staple is almost enclosed,
which is a help.

Some of the doors are lined and have had deadlocks fitted between the
doors, one side bolted.

Hinges have anti lift pins internally.

Thinking reinforcing hinges and timber side frame into surrounding
brick with angle and rawlbolts.

SCO suggested one of best deterrents was simple shed alarm , things
that make noises are apparently very thief unfriendly.

Panel got any other suggestions?

Thanks
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

SCO suggested one of best deterrents was simple shed alarm , things
that make noises are apparently very thief unfriendly.

Rottweiler in the shed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

Blacksmith has welded angle over the hasps to make entry by bolt
cutter more difficult, with a top piece the staple is almost enclosed,
which is a help.

We have some shipping containers used for external storage. On these the
padlock is enclosed in a steel box which is only open at the bottom.
It's possible to get hands and a key into the box to undo the padlock,
impossible to get bolt cutters onto the padlock.

You might want to look at something similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 3, 1:09 pm, Adam Aglionby wrote:
After very narrowly missing being broken into when 5 of my neighbours
were, if someone offers you a silver CCM motocrosser or a blinged up
black Mitsibushi Shogun or miscellaneous tools and clothing please
just remove them from the gene pool.

Modus operandi by thiefs was bolt croppers though hasp staples, most
doors are double wooden standard garage doors.

Hasps and padlocks are easily cut through. When I've replaced them
with flush locks I've had no problem. They do need to be flush - the
ones that stick out from the door can be smashed off with a
sledgehammer.
Best is a cycling radio transmitter and a motor operated door (or
whatever it's called).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Adam Aglionby writes
[...]

I agree with fixing the frame into the brickwork but would spread the
load using frame fixings every 9" instead of rawlbolts. eg:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94107/

Use coach bolts right through the frame for the hinges and if you feel
the frame could do with reinforcement then continuous 2mm steel strip
inside and out (under the hinges), and bolted thorough resists it
splintering our under force. You could get away with screwing the steel
strip with 3" screws from either side but mash the screwdriver cross and
def coach bolt the hinges.

You could back up the hinges by fixing a few links 8mm of chain between
the frame and the inside of the door, just long enough to allow the door
to open, again, bolt the fixings through. If the hinges are attacked
then the chain will retain the door for a while. If you have followed
the alarm route then a mag contact on the hinge side of the door will
detect this and sound the alarm whilst the door is still secure.

I'm not a fan of deadlocks for large doors as I don't think the throw is
enough to resist levering attack or simply pushing them in with a
vehicle. Padlocks and hasps are tricky because anything decent is pricey
and will still succumb to a sustained attack but would be my preferred
option.

I have a heavy duty padbar with a 12mm staple:
http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/Era-1...5%20Padbar.htm
It has bolt through fixings but needs a steel plate on the inside to
spread the load and that isn't supplied.

Padlock is a proper close one with a 12mm bolt:
http://www.directlocks.co.uk/squire-...er-padlocks-p-
1616.html
It's a good lock but overpriced now, today I'd probably choose one like
this:
http://www.directlocks.co.uk/era-975...ks-p-1615.html

and I'd probably use two, one at knee height, one at shoulder height.

A welded box surrounding the padlock is a good idea but it needs to be
designed right, watch for it being used as a pry point to rip the whole
lock out.

Then start reinforcing the door with steel strip or thin plate, or both.

Finally, I would def alarm the garage, with contacts by the hinges and
in the middle and with a couple of solid state shock sensors on the
frame to detect the beginning of an attack.

Good luck.
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Apr, 11:48, fred wrote:
In article
,
Adam Aglionby writes

[...]

Thanks for the tip, sounds better idea.

Use coach bolts right through the frame for the hinges and if you feel
the frame could do with reinforcement then continuous 2mm steel strip
inside and out (under the hinges), and bolted thorough resists it
splintering our under force. You could get away with screwing the steel
strip with 3" screws from either side but mash the screwdriver cross and
def coach bolt the hinges.

Have mig, just, and blacksmith on site who also just missed getting
turned over, steel shop getting visit asap after holiday.

You could back up the hinges by fixing a few links 8mm of chain between
the frame and the inside of the door, just long enough to allow the door
to open, again, bolt the fixings through. If the hinges are attacked
then the chain will retain the door for a while. If you have followed
the alarm route then a mag contact on the hinge side of the door will
detect this and sound the alarm whilst the door is still secure.

Chain again available from other occupants, fantastic idea thanks.
Have basic alarm which may have put them off a bit, shock sensors
sounds good.

Reasonably close to workshop from home , in extremis can probably get
a sub 90 second reponse time.

CCTV also was of basic form, though got enough to be of help , will be
somewhat different within next few days, found PIR triggering cameras
much more reliable than video motion detection, handily even
sub100quid DVR has alarm inputs make putting PIR in differntlocation
from camera easy, pile of CAT5 baluns only the world cup will be
better covered.
3.5K of PIR floodlights seemes to only help them see better with the
boltcutters :-(

I'm not a fan of deadlocks for large doors as I don't think the throw is
enough to resist levering attack or simply pushing them in with a
vehicle.

Its no a first line defence , but adds another jam especialy not
advertsing the keyholes.

Padlocks and hasps are tricky because anything decent is pricey
and will still succumb to a sustained attack but would be my preferred
option.

Nothing will sustain attack by angle grinder, point shown couple of
times when keys have been lost or at one point somone got theri locks
superglued, very darn oisy though, location in this case seems to mean
thieves want to keep it quiet.

I have a heavy duty padbar with a 12mm staple:http://www.discountlocks.co..uk/Era-...5%20Padbar.htm
It has bolt through fixings but needs a steel plate on the inside to
spread the load and that isn't supplied.

That looks more realsitic than the pathetic ` heavy duty` haps got
from toolstation, took some of slop out by welding nut inside of
staple.

Padlock is a proper close one with a 12mm bolt:http://www.directlocks.co.uk/squire-...-lever-padlock...
1616.html
It's a good lock but overpriced now, today I'd probably choose one like
this:http://www.directlocks.co.uk/era-975...r-padlocks-p-1...

Have couple of MOD surplus HD Squires, surplus offers so much better
value.

As has been ground into me last couple of days if you think security
is expensive, think of the alternative...

and I'd probably use two, one at knee height, one at shoulder height.

Up to three shielded hasps on door at mo, frame now looks like needs
upgrading to match

A welded box surrounding the padlock is a good idea but it needs to be
designed right, watch for it being used as a pry point to rip the whole
lock out.

Very good point.

Then start reinforcing the door with steel strip or thin plate, or both.

One of the other units has full steel doors with container like lock
hasps, thiefs didn`t even try.

Determined attacker will get through anything, thiefs playing `open
the box` with lockups are looking for simple.

Finally, I would def alarm the garage, with contacts by the hinges and
in the middle and with a couple of solid state shock sensors on the
frame to detect the beginning of an attack.

Alarm and CCTV now linked back to house and in line for somewhat of
an upgrade.

Good luck.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Cheers
Adam

--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:
After very narrowly missing being broken into when 5 of my neighbours
were, if someone offers you a silver CCM motocrosser or a blinged up
black Mitsibushi Shogun or miscellaneous tools and clothing please
just remove them from the gene pool.

Modus operandi by thiefs was bolt croppers though hasp staples, most
doors are double wooden standard garage doors.

I thought these days bypassing the doors and just going through the
walls with a cordless angle-grinder was de riguer?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Adam Aglionby wrote:
After very narrowly missing being broken into when 5 of my neighbours
were, if someone offers you a silver CCM motocrosser or a blinged up
black Mitsibushi Shogun or miscellaneous tools and clothing please
just remove them from the gene pool.

Modus operandi by thiefs was bolt croppers though hasp staples, most
doors are double wooden standard garage doors.

I thought these days bypassing the doors and just going through the
walls with a cordless angle-grinder was de riguer?

Couple of years ago, few weeks before Xmas, I got an emergency call from a
hairdressers supplies company on a local ind est.

Slime balls had prised the fire door at the rear open & nicked all the
expensive hair straighteners & hair dryers. I reinforced the door with lots
of building band fixed into the wall & bolted through the door.

A week later they came back - couldn't get the door open - so they took down
a section of the rear wall.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk