Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default greasy cooker hood-a perennial problem

I'm having new countertops and kitchen cupboard doors installed in my
22-year-old already-fitted kitchen, whose doors and counters are falling
apart or looking distinctly seedy, especially following a cooker fire or
two. I need to clean up some of the existing carcasses, as well as the
ceramic tiles surrounding, plus the glass top of the stove. No problem with
the carcasses.

My question is, how does one get the cooking grease off from the existing
surfaces, e.g. the sides of cupboards surrounding the stove, the ceramic
tiles, etc., which is either in lumps or as an invisible film of grease -
and furthermore, how to keep the awful sticky stuff off the cooker hood?

Everywhere I read says to use detergent, or ammonia, or borax, or this or
that, but nothing works. I tried scrubbing the cooker hood with anything
you can name but it's still sticky. Orange oil is OK, but I'd need about
two gallons to do the job, and even then it's still sticky.

Surely there must be some solvent besides petrol which can clean kitchen
grease off surfaces. It's not burnt on, it's like little clear plastic dots
which are immovable.

Any help would be appreciated.

someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"someone" wrote in message
[...]

Sugar Soap and elbow grease............ Best left to the woman......
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
someone wrote:

Surely there must be some solvent besides petrol which can clean kitchen
grease off surfaces. It's not burnt on, it's like little clear plastic dots
which are immovable.

Steam cleaner? Worked quite well for me along with a stiff brush.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Mar, 07:18, dmc@puffin. (D.M.Chapman) wrote:
In article ,

Steam cleaner

I'd be reluctant to pet that near MFC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , D.M.Chapman
writes
In article ,
someone wrote:

Surely there must be some solvent besides petrol which can clean kitchen
grease off surfaces. It's not burnt on, it's like little clear plastic dots
which are immovable.

Steam cleaner? Worked quite well for me along with a stiff brush.

Yup, I've used one to get stubborn old greasy stuff off of a cooker hood
before and it worked well.

We have a smallish Karcher one that I got 'free' when I bought a
pressure washer.

Dishwasher detergent dissolved in water is good at removing grease as
well. Wear gloves as it's fairy horrible stuff to get on your hands
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 02:22:25 +0100, "someone"
wrote:

[...]

I use mainly bio washing powder dissolved in warm water. For really
stubborn stains you can use white spirit but only do this if you can
leave all the doors and windows open for a long time! Or better still
move things outside to clean.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark
wibbled on Wednesday 31 March 2010 09:40

I use mainly bio washing powder dissolved in warm water. For really
stubborn stains you can use white spirit but only do this if you can
leave all the doors and windows open for a long time! Or better still
move things outside to clean.

I find IPA (isopropyl alcohol) works extremely well on surfaces like this
and the smell goes away fast. Agree on the washing liquid - that stuff
shifts a multitude of evil.

Previously, I have removed any bits that come off easily (like the metal
filter cover) and shoved them in the dishwasher.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

someone wrote:
[...]

I 'accidentally' discovered that a cheap spray bottle of stainless steel
cleaner shifts grease from almost anything, ( the clear stuff sold in
home and bargain )

As for the sides of white kitchen units, a plastic scraper and some of
the above put on neat works a treat, scrape off the bulk and spray the
area with cleaner, leave for about 30 seconds and scrub off with a cloth
or sponge. be careful if spraying this stuff near food, pets and eyes,
for the undersides of cooker hoods and cupboards spray it on a cloth first.

HTH
--
Mart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"someone" wrote:

My question is, how does one get the cooking grease off from the existing
surfaces, e.g. the sides of cupboards surrounding the stove, the ceramic
tiles, etc., which is either in lumps or as an invisible film of grease -
and furthermore, how to keep the awful sticky stuff off the cooker hood?

We had a question like this recently (grease on cupboard tops).

My answer was - and always will be: white spirit: It Works! It's easy,
and it's cheap!

Stubborn spots can be further encouraged by using a nylon scourer, or
even a sharp flexible paint scraper or putty knife, to scrape at the
softened grease without damaging the surface.

Have fun,
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 31, 2:22*am, "someone" wrote:
[...]

A steam cleaner works but I found it very slow going. What works well,
other than bunging it in a dishwasher, is cream cleaner with boiling
water - and it must be truly at boiling point. And decent gloves of
course, it is hot.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Mar, 19:59, NT wrote:
[...]

on a related tangent - any recommendations for cleaning the metal
(ali?) filter mesh of a kitchen canopy extractor?

In previous years I have boiled em up in water and dishwasher tablets
- but it's a revolting time consuming job.... any shortcuts anyone?

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/1/2010 3:38 AM, JimK wrote:

on a related tangent - any recommendations for cleaning the metal
(ali?) filter mesh of a kitchen canopy extractor?

In previous years I have boiled em up in water and dishwasher tablets
- but it's a revolting time consuming job.... any shortcuts anyone?

I put them through the dishwasher - _before_ they get totally disgusting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK writes:

on a related tangent - any recommendations for cleaning the metal
(ali?) filter mesh of a kitchen canopy extractor?

In previous years I have boiled em up in water and dishwasher tablets
- but it's a revolting time consuming job.... any shortcuts anyone?

Put them in the dishwasher. A couple of caveats...

They can hold a very large amount of grease, much more than you would
expect in a normal full dishwasher load. May need to adjust detergent
dose appropriately, and/or avoid loading lots of other greasy things,
and will need one of the hotter washes.

The aluminium mesh does slowly dissolve in dishwasher detergent, so
don't put them in the dishwasher every time you run it. If there is
any kind of decorative aluminium finish on parts of the filter such
as coloured anodising, this may be removed by the dishwasher detergent.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Recirculating cooker hood Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 3 October 24th 09 01:41 PM
Cooker hood! [email protected] UK diy 12 September 8th 06 05:46 PM
AEG Cooker hood dazzle UK diy 2 February 2nd 06 11:28 AM
cooker hood Valerie UK diy 4 October 6th 05 06:41 PM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 10:48 PM