Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washer flow reducer opening?

I have just got a round tuit...

A month ago I moved the washers feed and drain, to make the washer a
bit easier to service/ work on. Then it started to flood on filling,
obviously due to too high a water flow, so I turned the inlet valve
down a bit to restrict the flow, but now it sometimes stops in
mid-wash.

1. Do washing machines generally only allow a set amount of time to
fill, before giving up?

2. I'm thinking of turning a flow restrictor on the lathe, to fit the
water inlet. Could someone tell me what size the centre holes usually
are in these flow restrictors please?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

A month ago I moved the washers feed and drain, to make the washer a
bit easier to service/ work on. Then it started to flood on filling,
obviously due to too high a water flow,

I cant see how that can be. Mine is on mains pressure, hot and cold,with
no problem at all. You must have a blockage somewhere in the washer for
it to flood.

so I turned the inlet valve
down a bit to restrict the flow, but now it sometimes stops in
mid-wash.

Why does it stop though? Is it because of low water, or another fault?

1. Do washing machines generally only allow a set amount of time to
fill, before giving up?

Mine doesnt. When the pipe to it freezes, it just sits there and waits
until it is full, sometime a few hours, sometimes 10 minutes while I get
the blowlamp out.

2. I'm thinking of turning a flow restrictor on the lathe, to fit the
water inlet. Could someone tell me what size the centre holes usually
are in these flow restrictors please?

Why go to that trouble? Have you got isolating taps near the hoses? I
presume you have, if so, turn them off slightly, but I dont think that
is your problem, washers are meant to be connected to the mains, so
shouldnt overflow because of excess flow from the mains pipe.

Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee explained on 27/03/2010 :
I cant see how that can be. Mine is on mains pressure, hot and cold,with
no problem at all. You must have a blockage somewhere in the washer for
it to flood.

It is a common problem, for which they sell flow restrictors - just a
plain washer with a hole in the middle. Every single one of our washers
has needed the tap turning down to prevent the flooding, but resetting
the tap to the 'sweet spot' involves some messing about - so I intend
fitting a restrictor washer.

so I turned the inlet valve
down a bit to restrict the flow, but now it sometimes stops in
mid-wash.

Why does it stop though? Is it because of low water, or another fault?

It suddenly began to behave like this immediately after I made the
modifications, so I'm fairly confident it is stopping due to its not
filling up quickly enough - due to my having turned the tap too far
down. Trouble is, it is awkward to get to the tap to adjust it. Which
why I intend making and fitting a flow restrictor.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just got a round tuit...

A month ago I moved the washers feed and drain, to make the washer a bit
easier to service/ work on. Then it started to flood on filling,
obviously due to too high a water flow, so I turned the inlet valve down
a bit to restrict the flow, but now it sometimes stops in mid-wash.

1. Do washing machines generally only allow a set amount of time to
fill, before giving up?

2. I'm thinking of turning a flow restrictor on the lathe, to fit the
water inlet. Could someone tell me what size the centre holes usually
are in these flow restrictors please?

Washing machines usually have a tube connected to a pressure switch and
as the water rises the air pressure in the tube rises and switches the
solenoid off.Does the machine have a reset button? if so reset it when
empty. (It vents the tube and reseals it)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just got a round tuit...

A month ago I moved the washers feed and drain, to make the washer a bit
easier to service/ work on. Then it started to flood on filling,
obviously due to too high a water flow, so I turned the inlet valve down
a bit to restrict the flow, but now it sometimes stops in mid-wash.

1. Do washing machines generally only allow a set amount of time to
fill, before giving up?

2. I'm thinking of turning a flow restrictor on the lathe, to fit the
water inlet. Could someone tell me what size the centre holes usually
are in these flow restrictors please?

What might be a better idea is a pressure reduction valve in the rising
main.