Filipo

Default Low Cold Water Washer Flow

My older model Kenmore clothes washer is acting up. When the setting is
on "hot", and I pull the starting knob, water flows under normal
pressure into the tub. But when the do the same thing, except that the
setting is on "cold", the water flowing into the tub slows to a
trickle. The resulting mix is that there is a disproportionate amount
of hot water versus cold, so that if the setting is on "warm", the
water is actually hot, and the clothes start to shrink.

I have checked the recently replaced hoses and there are no kinks. The
problem appears to be in the cold water switching mechanism when I
start the water flow at the outset.

I would appreciate any diagnostic opinions and recommended solutions.

Thanks a lot.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Filipo" wrote in message
oups.com...
My older model Kenmore clothes washer is acting up. When the setting is
on "hot", and I pull the starting knob, water flows under normal
pressure into the tub. But when the do the same thing, except that the
setting is on "cold", the water flowing into the tub slows to a
trickle.

Take off the hoses. Then turn the water on and see if both hot and cold
flow properly into a bucket. If no, check the valves. If yes, the problem
is probably in the machine. Could be the water valve is not fully opening.

Dr. Hardcrab

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Filipo" wrote in message
oups.com...
My older model Kenmore clothes washer is acting up. When the setting is
on "hot", and I pull the starting knob, water flows under normal
pressure into the tub. But when the do the same thing, except that the
setting is on "cold", the water flowing into the tub slows to a
trickle.

Take off the hoses. Then turn the water on and see if both hot and cold
flow properly into a bucket. If no, check the valves. If yes, the problem
is probably in the machine. Could be the water valve is not fully
opening.

Also: Most machines have a screen where the hoses connect. Check to make
sure they are clean......

Bob

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Filipo" wrote in message
oups.com...
My older model Kenmore clothes washer is acting up. When the setting is
on "hot", and I pull the starting knob, water flows under normal
pressure into the tub. But when the do the same thing, except that the
setting is on "cold", the water flowing into the tub slows to a
trickle.

Take off the hoses. Then turn the water on and see if both hot and cold
flow properly into a bucket. If no, check the valves. If yes, the

problem
is probably in the machine. Could be the water valve is not fully
opening.

Also: Most machines have a screen where the hoses connect. Check to make
sure they are clean......

Then turn down the hot water until "warm" is warm.

Bob

Filipo

Thanks. The outside water flow to the bucket is strong. The inlet
screen is clean. It seems the problem is the mixing valve with the
solenoid switch attached to it, and to which the dual outside water
hoses are connected. Does anyone know if this is a generic part that
can be ordered from a local hardware or appliance shop, or from an
online parts reseller? The Kenmore Model No. is 72891110. There is a
blurry diagram on the Sears parts website and it is not clear which
part is the valve. If someone can quote me a generic solenoid valve
assembly that would fit this model, I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks a lot.

Bob

Or, take it out, take it apart, and clean it. I did this once for one that
wouldn't shut off all the way.

Bob

"DanG" wrote in message
Are they still all blue plastic?
Should be common as dirt at any appliance part/repair house.
Johnstone or anyone listed for appliance parts in your yellow
pages. Should be $10 buckish.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Filipo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Filipo

OK. I snaked my air compressor hose from the garage to the washer area
and I blasted both hot and cold filter screens at the mouth of the dual
inlet solenoid valve with compressed air. That seems to have cleared
all the screen debris and the cold water flow is now back to normal,
but then there seems to be a new problem - at the end of the wash cycle
the water at the bottom of the tub does not drain completely. Is this
an entirely new problem, or did I inadvertently damage the valve by
blasting it with compressed air without removing the screens? Or is
there a connection that may have come loose as a result of all these
repair attempts? Thanks again for more help.

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Water Heat Circulator nick pine Home Repair 83 May 6th 05 05:06 AM
New central heating system sam UK diy 17 January 13th 05 06:16 PM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM